What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Hardy said jazz goal is to improve defense next year so i expect we pick defensive minded guys or one with upside. dont know who but i guess 3D wing

Ainge and Zanik said they want to improve shooting and defense. They also like positional size and athleticism.

Great summary.

Seemingly unrelated. I want to outline how effing screwed the Hawks are right now and how we likely setup a theft of John Collins and some assets... as I think we really could end up with 9, 15,16. The Hawks have punted this decision down the road to a point where they now need a team with current space to help them out of the jam. Can't just be expiring contracts... they need someone to assume the obligation for the future and send back like $10M less salary. They don't have a lot of other good places to cut unless they find a home for Capela.

Nabbing Collins and either flipping him immediately - to a team like Dallas for ****** salary and picks - or having him put up some numbers in our system and flipping him later for assets has absolutely been setup by Danny's interest last season. Except now they will need to add assets (either the Kings pick, or we could swap 28 for 15, or if the market is really ******... both). We could also just keep Collins if he plays well and the rookies we have behind him aren't showing enough to replace him.

If they just keep him and go deep into the tax... they still need to move him later... and they will start the repeater clock right before they give raises to Murray and Okongwu (maybe?). There is blood in the water and Danny been circling the boat for a while. Maybe a dumb team bails them out... but their options are limited to teams with cap space... good luck.
Quin went from one team with no good options in the off-season to another. I still have no idea why he decided to come back to coaching midseason and didn't wait for the off-season. There are so many good jobs available right now.

Just listened… I think Tony named every player in the draft lol… we do have 3 picks though so I guess it makes sense.
I'm not sure if Tony has a source on those or if he's projecting his thoughts on the FO. Tony has been on the record that he thinks this is an amazing draft with depth throughout the whole first round since last year, and he keeps saying this to this day even though most draft analysts seem to have pulled back from liking this draft. In fact, to me it seems most think this is not particularly good draft nowadays.

I'm not sure if Tony has a source on those or if he's projecting his thoughts on the FO. Tony has been on the record that he thinks this is an amazing draft with depth throughout the whole first round since last year, and he keeps saying this to this day even though most draft analysts seem to have pulled back from liking this draft. In fact, to me it seems most think this is not particularly good draft nowadays.
They have not

This looks like a very very good draft so I'm not sure who you are getting that from. Hands down the deepest draft I have ever seen by a mile.

That is not in line with what I'm hearing.

Speaking of Leonard Miller, Tony Jones said the Jazz are really interested in him on ESPN700 this morning. He also mentioned JHS, Bufkin, Keyonte, Smith Jr., Clowny, Murray, Hawkins and Rupert as guys the Jazz would be interested in at 16. Jaquez Jr., Podziemski, GG and Colby Jones as guys they would be interested in at 28. He mentioned again that he personally really likes JHS. He didn't seem to think they would take GG at 16 but may at 28 if he happens to still be there. I was surprised that he didn't mention Bilal.

He also said that the Jazz really like this draft...they think they can get a really good player at 9 that they can potentially build around, they also think they can get a good player at 16 and even think there will be good talent available at 28. They will be involved in conversations about possibly moving up...if they don't move up they will keep 9 and 16, sounds like 28 could go either way, they may keep it or they may trade it.
this is what i love about Tony Jones, his amazing insight into what the jazz are thinking. they will either trade up or they won't. i mean, without jones, we wouldn't know that. also, who are they interested in at 16? basically every prospect who might be available at 16. thank heavens for his connections in the organization.

I think he is probably better than Thor, but same type of prospect
he is definitely better than thor. it's an easy comparison to make because they both played in the g league. miller was a lot better in the g league than thor and thor is more than a year older. it's not even a question. so yeah, are they the same type of player? sure, in the same way david roddy and charles barkley are the same type of player. but it's clear miller is a lot better at basketball than jt thor.