What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

I'm trying to figure out what Orlando is doing with Anthony Black. He's starting, but getting the least amount of minutes of all their rotation players. I was excited to watch him today, but he only got 6 minutes in the first quarter and didn't get back in the game.

It seems like he is playing pretty good defense, but struggling on offense. From what I'm seeing his team and the other team completely ignore him on offense. It seems like they should give him some more opportunities against second units to give him some more opportunities to do anything and gain some confidence. I'm not sure I understand what they are trying to do?

They're playing him mostly as an off-ball cutter, since defenders back off him and dare him to shoot. He needs to develop offensively, but Orlando has a log-jam of guards with Fultz, Suggs and Anthony.

I'm trying to figure out what Orlando is doing with Anthony Black. He's starting, but getting the least amount of minutes of all their rotation players. I was excited to watch him today, but he only got 6 minutes in the first quarter and didn't get back in the game.

It seems like he is playing pretty good defense, but struggling on offense. From what I'm seeing his team and the other team completely ignore him on offense. It seems like they should give him some more opportunities against second units to give him some more opportunities to do anything and gain some confidence. I'm not sure I understand what they are trying to do?
Is anyone surprised by this? Seems like the main concern with him being drafted was with his shooting ability. Sounds like scouts got it right. And if he can’t develop a jumper, his effectiveness is going to be severely limited no matter how well he defends or passes.

Here's my impressions of this class so far:

Wemby - Will be great, but not there yet. Struggling with the physicality of the NBA which is leading to a lot of jumpers. He's not a good shooter, has not ever been a good shooter, remains to be seen if he ever will be.
Miller - He's going to be good, more likely to make an all star game in his career than not imo. Everyone needs guys his size who can hoop.
Scoot - Underwhelming athlete, bad shooter. Needs more time
Amen - tbd
Ausar - Incredible athlete with special motor....bad shooter with poor touch that is also apparent around the basket
Black - Good defender, active. Tiny offensive role, don't think he's capable of much on offense at the moment
Bilal - Greatest prospect of all time free my man from the Poole party
Jarace - tbd....don't like how he's been a big chucker since he turned pro
Hendricks - tbd
Wallace - Really solid role player, will be for a long time
Jett - tbd
Lively - see Wallace
Dick - Why can't this guy put the ball in the hoop???
Hawkins - Could be an elite movement shooter, Buddy Hield type player

Here's my impressions of this class so far:

Wemby - Will be great, but not there yet. Struggling with the physicality of the NBA which is leading to a lot of jumpers. He's not a good shooter, has not ever been a good shooter, remains to be seen if he ever will be.
Miller - He's going to be good, more likely to make an all star game in his career than not imo. Everyone needs guys his size who can hoop.
Scoot - Underwhelming athlete, bad shooter. Needs more time
Amen - tbd
Ausar - Incredible athlete with special motor....bad shooter with poor touch that is also apparent around the basket
Black - Good defender, active. Tiny offensive role, don't think he's capable of much on offense at the moment
Bilal - Greatest prospect of all time free my man from the Poole party
Jarace - tbd....don't like how he's been a big chucker since he turned pro
Hendricks - tbd
Wallace - Really solid role player, will be for a long time
Jett - tbd
Lively - see Wallace
Dick - Why can't this guy put the ball in the hoop???
Hawkins - Could be an elite movement shooter, Buddy Hield type player
Nailed it

he just doesn't do anything when he's in there. has trouble making plays and getting his own shot. he's just kind of out there - he defends which is good, but they are sorta playing 4 on 5 on the offensive end when he's out there.

Anthony Black is going to be good, I've go no doubts about it, but maybe he'll be good in the same way that I think Delon Wright is a good niche player that I love.

I think we knew the shooting was a question mark....I think his general skills with the ball maybe deserved some more examination. I think he's a long ways away from having the ability to be a primary ball handler.

Looking back at a re-draft if you were the only team with future info I think we'd go Key at #9 (just take him rather than Cason or Hawkins as Key likely gets taken in between 10-15 if a guard comes off the board at 9) and I think you'd end up with Jaquez at 16. If you asked me would I swap Taylor for Jaquez right now I'd probably have to do it, but I am also fine with developing Taylor. We came out with a solid scenario at 9/16 imo as of right now.

In hindsight I'd also gladly throw in some additional capital to move up for Ausar but we don't have any indication on how willing Detroit would be to play ball.

Looking back at a re-draft if you were the only team with future info I think we'd go Key at #9 (just take him rather than Cason or Hawkins as Key likely gets taken in between 10-15 if a guard comes off the board at 9) and I think you'd end up with Jaquez at 16. If you asked me would I swap Taylor for Jaquez right now I'd probably have to do it, but I am also fine with developing Taylor. We came out with a solid scenario at 9/16 imo as of right now.

In hindsight I'd also gladly throw in some additional capital to move up for Ausar but we don't have any indication on how willing Detroit would be to play ball.

Keyonte and Jaquez is where I have been at with a similar thought process.

The what if for me is trading up to #7 for Bilal. WAS barely traded anything, but I imagine that if the Jazz were serious about bidding WAS would have also raised their offer. It's impossible to know how much more WAS preferred Bilal to TH/JW and how much more IND preferred JW to TH. I don't think it would have taken #16 to get to Bilal, but #16 would have been required for Black or Ausar at minimum IMO.

Would be pretty sick to have Key and Bilal as our starting backcourt right now.

Why? Walker has looked great. I would still give you that pick for him.
No he hasn't. He has mostly gotten dnp's and has played poorly when he has played (hence the dnp's)
He has played in 4 games. DNP in the others.
39% from the field. Zero percent from 3.
Not great

Jarace Walker has actual *game*. It's a work in progress, and maybe he never realizes it fully, but when you watch him he can do everything on the court. You watch Hendricks and it's like watching Stanley from the Office try to dribble.

I think Walker has shown more potential to be a big time offensive threat but maybe hasn’t shown the elite role player qualities that some really liked about him. I personally did not pin him as a “questionable shot selection” kind of guy, but he’s kind of been that guy in his pro career. OTOH, he does some special things that really pop, so if he can put everything together you may end up with a really good two way player.

JHS finally got some minutes last night in garbage time.
0-3 for zero points in 11 minutes.
I feel like Hendricks could put up those numbers.

Jarace Walker has actual *game*. It's a work in progress, and maybe he never realizes it fully, but when you watch him he can do everything on the court. You watch Hendricks and it's like watching Stanley from the Office try to dribble.
You said he has looked "great".
What has looked great? Be specific since you watch him play for the pacers so much (even though he never plays lol)

That's the funny thing, you say you watch basketball not box scores and that's how you know he has looked great. But he never plays. Are you going to pacers practices or something?