What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

The crazy thing with Scoot is that he was a pro for 2 years. I was never a huge believer in Scoot, but I thought the G-League thing would boost him his rookie year as being ready.

The G-League is pretty trash tbh. Producing a lot of mediocre players who dont seem to be all that NBA ready. You have to really hate going to fake classes so much or just have such a horrendous GPA that colleges cant even get you in to go the G-League route imo.

OK, so we are about 25% in to the season. Here is a quick update on how the 2023 draft class is looking so far:

Starters: Wemby, Miller, Keyonte, Black

Rotation: Ausar, Wallace, Hawkins, Jaquez, Bilal, Lively, Scoot, Camara, Podz, Sasser, Strawther, Hendricks?

Leaders By Category:

MPG: Miller (31.1), Wemby (30.0), Ausar (28.2)
PPG: Wemby (19.3), Miller (14.4), Hawkins (12.9)
RPG: Weby (9.7), Ausar (9.1), Lively (7.8)
APG: Keyonte (5.0), Scoot (4.2), Sasser (2.9)
STL: Wemby (1.3), Jaquez (1.1), Bilal (1.1)
BLK: Wemby (2.7), Lively (1.5), Ausar (1.5)
NetRTG: Wallace (8.9), Podz (8.1), LIvely (4.4)
AST/TO: Sasser (3.56), Wallace (2.6), Keyonte (2.25)
EFG%: Lively (72.2), Wallace (71.2), Bilal (61.1)
USG%: Wemby (28.9), Keyonte (20.5), Miller (18.8)

Amen with a monster 29/16/11/3/2 game in his rehab game......BUT only 12-26 shooting and 10/23 from 2FG. Did not watch any of the game so don't want to talk out of my ***, but I do think there's a an issue with Amen and Ausar's touch around the hoop.

Amen with a monster 29/16/11/3/2 game in his rehab game......BUT only 12-26 shooting and 10/23 from 2FG. Did not watch any of the game so don't want to talk out of my ***, but I do think there's a an issue with Amen and Ausar's touch around the hoop.
I think part of the reason Ausar might be more successful is how he’s positioned. Amen can’t be a full time lead guard if he can’t shoot and struggles to finish. Should probably be developed similar to Ausar as a toolsy wing.

I think part of the reason Ausar might be more successful is how he’s positioned. Amen can’t be a full time lead guard if he can’t shoot and struggles to finish. Should probably be developed similar to Ausar as a toolsy wing.

We shall see, currently Ausar can’t shoot either, and while he’s been incredible in some areas he’s struggling to make a positive impact on offense. I feel like if neither can shoot, you might prefer Amen’a superior ability (in theory) to be a ball hander. Without a jump shot, I think both twins could fall into the “more unique than good” category of players.

It’s too early to make any big conclusions, they aren’t the youngest of rookies and if they are ever going to be able to shoot it we would likely need to see some progress soon. Otherwise you’re hoping for a big development outlier.

Looks a lot like OTE > G League

We shall see, currently Ausar can’t shoot either, and while he’s been incredible in some areas he’s struggling to make a positive impact on offense. I feel like if neither can shoot, you might prefer Amen’a superior ability (in theory) to be a ball hander. Without a jump shot, I think both twins could fall into the “more unique than good” category of players.

It’s too early to make any big conclusions, they aren’t the youngest of rookies and if they are ever going to be able to shoot it we would likely need to see some progress soon. Otherwise you’re hoping for a big development outlier.
Looks a lot like OTE > G League
amen and ausar clearly have elite motors and are elite athletes - that will take you places, especially as a young player. but they have to make shots eventually. AK faced the same issues - he was great from age 20 to about 25 where he hit a wall. was never the same after age 25.

and yeah, the g league is mostly a joke. hard to glean anything from that league.

amen and ausar clearly have elite motors and are elite athletes - that will take you places, especially as a young player. but they have to make shots eventually. AK faced the same issues - he was great from age 20 to about 25 where he hit a wall. was never the same after age 25.

and yeah, the g league is mostly a joke. hard to glean anything from that league.
The G League isnt a joke, there's just a discussion to be had to how much playing up vs down helps.

The GLeague is just too talented/mature for these young dudes, especially when you are featuring a guy like Ron Holland as the lead playmaker/scorer.

OTE is a great league. Hilarious that you still cant give the league credit. They play a pro-style with amateur players. That has value. It's not going to be the prettiest basketball because you're asking amateurs/young guys to play a difficult style.

Not trying to debate or be critical here but is there any evidence other than thompson twins? Could they be an exception?
Well there are potentially 3 guys who will be drafted in the lottery this year who played on OTE.

Dillingham is one of the best Freshman in the nation after spending a year at OTE. Tyler Smith has been the best and most consistent Ignite player after spending a year at OTE.

Well there are potentially 3 guys who will be drafted in the lottery this year who played on OTE.

Dillingham is one of the best Freshman in the nation after spending a year at OTE. Tyler Smith has been the best and most consistent Ignite player after spending a year at OTE.
Good response.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

TBH I always felt like Scoot was overrated but nearly everyone seemed to buy into him so I was too much of a coward to sway away.

Not me. I thought the fact he was picked in the forum's All-NBA draft was absolutely laughable. Several people assured me it was a good pick.

I still find OTE very difficult to scout. The games are so variable in terms of seriousness. Sometimes the answer is just to shrug and say idk. I feel like putting too much emphasis on where the player came from is a trap. A player is not the competition he played in and previous prospects from the same competition do not mean success or failure for future prospects. Each player is their own case.

I still find OTE very difficult to scout. The games are so variable in terms of seriousness. Sometimes the answer is just to shrug and say idk. I feel like putting too much emphasis on where the player came from is a trap. A player is not the competition he played in and previous prospects from the same competition do not mean success or failure for future prospects. Each player is their own case.

While that is a good point it can absolutely matter where they came from and the competition level. (Though it doesn't always matter).

A horrible player could look like a god if the competition sucks bad enough.

It's definitely an inexact science and often a crapshoot

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Back