What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kr_3VFFsDc

Keegan has been a disappointment in the NBA for being a 4th pick, but if you could get him in the 15-20 range it's a solid pick.

Also wonder if Kris might translate a bit better to the NBA since his game is a bit more basic than Keegan's.

i'm convinced keegan has the yips. he looked like one of if not the best rookies in the class throughout summer league and preseason, but it's in his head. if you can get Keegan, but without the yips (that would be Kris), you take that all day long.

i'm convinced keegan has the yips. he looked like one of if not the best rookies in the class throughout summer league and preseason, but it's in his head. if you can get Keegan, but without the yips (that would be Kris), you take that all day long.
I just think he isn't that good, at least not 4th pick in a draft good. He will probably settle out and be a solid starter at some point

you have the high ground because he definitely isn't 4th pick good right now. but if he can get right mentally, i believe he can be.
I mean, I don't think the Kings will regret it that much. It was a solid fit pick and he could be a top 8 player in the class. They could have had Benedict Mathurin tho

Steph is such an outlier. I mean, sure, if you can get a guard who singlehandedly stretches the defense and draws a double-team 35 feet out go ahead and grab him. He makes things easier for everyone else. But even that Warriors team doesn't beat Lebron's Cavs without Kevin Durant. FWIW, I don't think the Ws would have beaten Giannis and the Bucks this past year either. Middleton's injury probably stopped the Bucks from repeating, imo.

The Warriors run a unique system that actually relies on Draymond as the fulcrum. They're very much a system team. You saw a few years ago that even when Steph played at an MVP level the Warriors were still eliminated in the Play-in by the Lakers and Grizzlies. Steph can't carry a team by himself. The Warriors need all cylinders firing for their system to work. The Ws' defense was the biggest reason the Ws beat the Celtics this year.

If you asked me whether I'd rather have Steph Curry or Giannis, I'm taking Giannis. Giannis can break the paint, draw defenders and make plays at the rim against just about anyone. Then there's his defense as well.

At the end of the day, you want a guy who is unstoppable, or as close to it as you can get.
Literally all of these guys are outliers… that’s a ****** argument. Passing up Scoot is fine if Giannis is there… but he’s not. It’d be like passing on Ja cuz you should build around wings like RJ.

Literally all of these guys are outliers… that’s a ****** argument. Passing up Scoot is fine if Giannis is there… but he’s not. It’d be like passing on Ja cuz you should build around wings like RJ.

I like Scoot, and I said I'd draft him if he were available to the Jazz. The goal would then be to pair him with a high-impact wing or big.

Who is the best combo of these 3 things: creator/ball handler + defensive aptitude& size + shooter (3 pt range)? So who is the closest to, let's say, Durant, for those who like to do player comparisons. For those who don't...

6c1ab80e-3fc4-4d08-b1ad-17e3f96c9d6f_text.gif

Who is the best combo of these 3 things: creator/ball handler + defensive aptitude& size + shooter (3 pt range)? So who is the closest to, let's say, Durant, for those who like to do player comparisons. For those who don't...

I like that 17 year old 6 foot 10 dude that i saw a few pages back.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

I really like Scoot but then you need to find an impact bigger wing to ultimately pair with him which is currently very difficult in this league. If I have a top 4 pick I'm taking the bigger wing assuming of course they are in similar tiers.

FWIW the wings available in this draft are several tiers above RJ who I never liked coming out of the draft. Guessing some team might pluck him as a reclamation project from the Knicks at some point but he was never worth a #3 pick in any draft.

Don't look now but Anthony Black and Brandon Miller and now sitting #3 and #4 in the NBA draft.net latest mock. That site isn't always reliable but it appears a few of the guys discussed here are moving up big time.

There doesn't appear to be anyone like Kevin Durant in this draft.

If we were to ask ourselves, "Who in this draft could step in and be expected to become the Jazz's clear best player?" I think the list would look like this:
-- Yes: Wemby, Scoot
-- Probably: Amen, Black, Jackson
-- Possibly: Ausur, Whitmore, Brandon Miller, Smith

If the question instead was, "Who in this draft could the Jazz bring in and solidly improve their roster?" There are about 20 guys on that list.

Don't look now but Anthony Black and Brandon Miller and now sitting #3 and #4 in the NBA draft.net latest mock. That site isn't always reliable but it appears a few of the guys discussed here are moving up big time.

I could see Anthony Black getting into the top 5. I have a hard time seeing it with Brandon Miller. I think Miller should go 7-10 range, but it depends in part on how guys like Whitmore, Nick Smith and others look.

The site whose mocks and comps I tend to agree with most is nbadraftroom.com. That said, I don't usually agree with anyone's mocks and comps that much.

Last edited:
There doesn't appear to be anyone like Kevin Durant in this draft.

If we were to ask ourselves, "Who in this draft could step in and be expected to become the Jazz's clear best player?" I think the list would look like this:
-- Yes: Wemby, Scoot
-- Probably: Amen, Black, Jackson
-- Possibly: Ausur, Whitmore, Brandon Miller, Smith

If the question instead was, "Who in this draft could the Jazz bring in and solidly improve their roster?" There are about 20 guys on that list.
Yeah that was why I said "closest" because people get stuck on the name and it invariably ends up with "there is no Durant in this draft", when instead I was looking for who might be "closest" of the potentials in the draft. It might still be really far away from the actual, but someone is probably closer than most of the others. Like you said, Wemby. Scoot does not fit the question as I am looking for a Durant prototype, and he doesn't fit the profile. He isn't a long wing.

I really like Scoot but then you need to find an impact bigger wing to ultimately pair with him which is currently very difficult in this league. If I have a top 4 pick I'm taking the bigger wing assuming of course they are in similar tiers.

FWIW the wings available in this draft are several tiers above RJ who I never liked coming out of the draft. Guessing some team might pluck him as a reclamation project from the Knicks at some point but he was never worth a #3 pick in any draft.
Scoot is a tier or two above everyone not named Wemby. There are some intriguing wings but none that I’m sold on being surefire all stars.

If you don’t like the Ja/RJ thing it’s happened with CP3 and Marvin Williams… you draft the best overall talent especially if you have a blank canvas like we do. Like you don’t want to have 5 centers or 5 guys who are only really pgs but I’m cool building around a pg as dynamic as Scoot. Add some two way wings through the draft… you don’t have to have Lebron on the wing if you have another dynamic perimeter creator.

Scoot is a tier or two above everyone not named Wemby. There are some intriguing wings but none that I’m sold on being surefire all stars.

If you don’t like the Ja/RJ thing it’s happened with CP3 and Marvin Williams… you draft the best overall talent especially if you have a blank canvas like we do. Like you don’t want to have 5 centers or 5 guys who are only really pgs but I’m cool building around a pg as dynamic as Scoot. Add some two way wings through the draft… you don’t have to have Lebron on the wing if you have another dynamic perimeter creator.
Scoot is defintely more of a sure thing than the other dudes, but I dont think he will end up being the 2nd best player when it's all said and done.