What's new

2023 Trade Rumors and Gossip Involving the Jazz

This isn’t new. It’s called the salary floor. It’s why teams rent out cap space rather than pocket the savings. I think this has been a thing since the 2011 lockout.

The amount that a team is under the salary floor gets distributed evenly among the roster at the end of the year.

The answer to your question is - shooting from the hip - >$40 million.
Hoop Collective yesterday they said now it is 90% of cap no matter what. You can’t be under at all.

Hoop Collective yesterday they said now it is 90% of cap no matter what. You can’t be under at all.
It’s a complete nothingburger though. Think only one team ever fell below the floor and they had to pass out the difference to their players. I generally consider it cap mismanagement to be below the floor as worst case you can rent out a few million on an expiring contract for a second round pick.

K, I’ll look into it but I don’t believe that is true. How do they make a team do that?
Okay, so they beefed up the incentive structure. Now teams under the salary floor on the first day of the season no longer get the luxury tax disbursement.

Starting in 2024/25, teams below the salary cap floor — currently 90% of the cap — on the first day of the regular season will not receive a tax distribution from the league’s taxpaying teams, according to ESPN’s Bobby Marks (Twitter link). This is a pretty huge change, as it is penalizing teams with excess cap room, not just taxpayers. The Spurs and Pacers would have missed out on an estimated $15.2MM tax distribution payment this season if the new rule had been in effect, Marks notes.
This will help nix teams going into the season and just waiting on situations to develop where they can absorb a ******** of space. Makes sense since the players as a whole are going to yield A LOT of money through the mechanisms of the second apron which seems to already be changing team behavior.

It is also worth noting that this doesn’t apply until ‘24-‘25.

The eff does that even mean lol.
European leagues aren't static things. Because a player busted 6 years ago out of that league doesn't really mean anything. They are evaluating these leagues on a real time basis and there is a lot more context than just "this player plays in the French league".

Okay, so they beefed up the incentive structure. Now teams under the salary floor on the first day of the season no longer get the luxury tax disbursement.

This will help nix teams going into the season and just waiting on situations to develop where they can absorb a ******** of space. Makes sense since the players as a whole are going to yield A LOT of money through the mechanisms of the second apron which seems to already be changing team behavior.

A couple guys will get the bag on one year deals. Will limit how much flexibility teams can carry into the season.

For us we have like 30-40M in space depending on options… only NEED to spend like 17M to get to the floor.

European leagues aren't static things. Because a player busted 6 years ago out of that league doesn't really mean anything. They are evaluating these leagues on a real time basis and there is a lot more context than just "this player plays in the French league".
Okay… the league he plays in has not been great at churning out nba players the last 10 years… and every nba team will absolutely factor that into their evaluation on Bilal. To say they won’t is intellectually dishonest.

A couple guys will get the bag on one year deals. Will limit how much flexibility teams can carry into the season.

For us we have like 30-40M in space depending on options… only NEED to spend like 17M to get to the floor.
Doesn’t kick in until next season though. So the answer is actually $0 for the purposes of this question.

Okay… the league he plays in has not been great at churning out nba players the last 10 years… and every nba team will absolutely factor that into their evaluation on Bilal. To say they won’t is intellectually dishonest.
The only intellectually dishonest thing is discussing it the way Elizah Huge did.

Thinking a lot of teams will simply keep a non-guaranteed deal around or two with guarantee dates beyond the first date of the season, unless there's something against that.

I cannot believe some posters get so worked up about being right. The draft is a crapshoot and even the GMs miss out on a lot of guys. They do it for a living.and have way more information than fans have. I understand fans love trying to pick their "guy" but no one really knows which players are busts or the next superstar. Past drafts always end up having redrafts a few years down the line. There are many players I like in this draft. I believe it is a deep draft so I would tend to want to keep at least two of our picks. Like the Jazz front office said, we need to add talent.

Last edited:
Bilal has one of the lowest usage rates in the half court of any draft prospect ever… according to Sam Vecenie. I just think it’s like betting on a penny stock… go ahead and do it with the appropriate amount of capital… at 9 I just can’t. If we trade back with OKC and get our pick back I would feel better about it but still just think it’s too wild for my taste. If we can nab him at 16 or get that Hawks pick then I’d go for it. Even then I might prefer betting on Whitehead being healthy and returning to his top form.

The minimum amount of salaries committed (without cap holds) is roughly $58 million (everyone opts out except Gay because he won’t, KO gets bought out).

If everyone already on the roster is maintained, then the salary committed is roughly $97 million.

The projected cap is $134 million, which means the salary floor would be $120.6 million (which we don’t have to get to by the start of the season). So after cap holds and whatever, the minimum amount of salary below the salary floor is about $20 million as HH alluded to. The maximum looks to be ~$50 million. Add 13.4 million to either of those as to the total amount that the team would have in cap space.

Bilal has one of the lowest usage rates in the half court of any draft prospect ever… according to Sam Vecenie. I just think it’s like betting on a penny stock… go ahead and do it with the appropriate amount of capital… at 9 I just can’t. If we trade back with OKC and get our pick back I would feel better about it but still just think it’s too wild for my taste. If we can nab him at 16 or get that Hawks pick then I’d go for it. Even then I might prefer betting on Whitehead being healthy and returning to his top form.

There is just so many other guys I’d rather take. I don’t even want him at 16 to be honest.

The minimum amount of salaries committed (without cap holds) is roughly $58 million (everyone opts out except Gay because he won’t, KO gets bought out).

If everyone already on the roster is maintained, then the salary committed is roughly $97 million.

The projected cap is $134 million, which means the salary floor would be $120.6 million (which we don’t have to get to by the start of the season). So after cap holds and whatever, the minimum amount of salary below the salary floor is about $20 million as HH alluded to. The maximum looks to be ~$50 million. Add 13.4 million to either of those as to the total amount that the team would have in cap space.
The salary fluor is why I can see us giving Clarkson a big stort term deal. Something like 2/50 with the 2nd year being a team option would get us closer to the floor, make him happy and give us salary matching for the next good player who wants to be traded.

I asked this question in the draft thread and it was crickets. Who is the last good NBA player to come from France’s A League since Gobert in 2013?

Serious question. Frank/Sekou/Maledon/Hayes/Yabusele/Okobo etc. They are all busts.
I get where you’re coming from, but I don’t think you judge someone based on how others played before him. I’m pretty sure that Wemby kid from the same league is going to be awesome. I’m not going to discount guys who play in the French league, or Turkish league, or EuroLeague or NBL because of what other guys did before. Just like I’m not going to judge the OTE guys or Ignite guys based on what the players the past 2 years have done from those leagues.

If you scout overseas, you need to look at certain skills and athleticism. It’s pretty easy to miss on international guys (mainly because I think you usually have less info to work with), so outside of the surefire superstars (like Doncic) I think it’s best to stay out of the top 5 unless they played in college in the USA also.

I’m fine with taking Bilal as our 2nd pick in the 1st round. I don’t worry too much about numbers or opponents, etc. because my eye test tells me that he is a fluid athlete that’s still growing AND his shot looks good to me. At the wing position, you sometimes have to take a risk on your evaluation and your coach’s developmental program. If he had already shown out at the level I think he’s going to, he’d be going a lot higher IMO.