What's new

2023 Trade Rumors and Gossip Involving the Jazz

The deal doesn't happen without westbrick so westbricks contract was also awesome.

Wow, that makes total sense. You are right. The Lakers definitely didn’t have to attach the best asset in the deal to get off of his contract.

We also didn’t trade the first or second best asset in the deal and ended up with the best asset coming back. Not sure how that happened when all we traded was a negative contract in Conley plus Beasley/Vando and throw-ins.

Wow, that makes total sense. You are right. The Lakers definitely didn’t have to attach the best asset in the deal to get off of his contract.

We also didn’t trade the first or second best asset in the deal and ended up with the best asset coming back. Not sure how that happened when all we traded was a negative contract in Conley plus Beasley/Vando and throw-ins.
That isn't all we traded though. we also took westbrooks contract off their hands. That is something the jazz did for the lakers along with improving their team. You say "all we traded" as if we didn't trade much. We traded 4 players and 2 picks and took on a horrible contract for 1 protected pick. That is 7 assets for 1 protected pick. None of those assets from us could be good assets or it wouldn't have took so much to aquire a protected pick. I remember when we could get an unprotected pick for taking westbrook without giving up anything else. The fact that we had to use 7 parts to get 1 protected pick shows how conley was viewed. If conley was a positive then we should have been able to get that protected pick for less than 6 MORE assets on top of conley. We had to add 6 more pieces to get 1 protected pick. +

How often does a good player on a positive contract need 6 more pieces to get 1 protected pick? Never?

Last edited:
That isn't all we traded though. we also took westbrooks contract off their hands. That is something the jazz did for the lakers along with improving their team. You say "all we traded" as if we didn't trade much. We traded 4 players and 2 picks and took on a horrible contract for 1 protected pick. That is 7 assets for 1 unprotected pick. None of those assets from us could be good assets or it wouldn't have took so much to aquire a protected pick. I remember when we could get an unprotected pick for taking westbrook without giving up anything else. The fact that we had to use 7 parts to get 1 protected pick shows how conley was viewed. If conley was a positive then we should have been able to get that protected pick for less than 6 MORE assets on top of conley. We had to add 6 more pieces to get 1 protected pick. +

How often does a good player on a positive contract need 6 more pieces to get 1 protected pick? Never?

Westbrook was an expiring contract. That is not bad at all. We saved a **** ton of cap space by trading for him.

Ya conley had never been an all star. Luka is a guaranteed all star every year and a possible mvp candidate. Apples to oranges.
I would go further. That is comparing airplanes to bumblebees because they both have wings. Luka is a top 5 player and should be for a number of years to come if he can avoid injury and decide to stay in shape.

This. Westbricks contract was trash for his production for the lakers. They LOVED getting rid of him. The deal couldn't have happened without westbrick so now that means his contract was a postive? Ya, no. Just because a player with a crap contract is traded doesn't make that contract not crap.
You know they could have just waived him… right?

They traded for players and Westbrook’s salary was the ballast.

That isn't all we traded though. we also took westbrooks contract off their hands. That is something the jazz did for the lakers along with improving their team. You say "all we traded" as if we didn't trade much. We traded 4 players and 2 picks and took on a horrible contract for 1 protected pick. That is 7 assets for 1 unprotected pick. None of those assets from us could be good assets or it wouldn't have took so much to aquire a protected pick. I remember when we could get an unprotected pick for taking westbrook without giving up anything else. The fact that we had to use 7 parts to get 1 protected pick shows how conley was viewed. If conley was a positive then we should have been able to get that protected pick for less than 6 MORE assets on top of conley. We had to add 6 more pieces to get 1 protected pick. +

I think it was just a very bad trade, just like the Bogey trade. In spite of the Ainge worship the FO made a few moves that were bad, if not really bad. The spin on it even from the media is funny. We are at a point were every move and every decision is given a pass because of what we got for Rudy and Donny.

I remember when everyone was certain we could get an unprotected first (or 2) for simply taking westbrook. Not even giving any good players.
I guess you can remember something that isn’t true. But that wasn’t a thing, dear fish.

I guess you can remember something that isn’t true. But that wasn’t a thing, dear fish.
Man I wish I could find the thread when everyone was talking about it. Hell, some were saying we could get 2 first round picks for taking him off the lakers hands. I would be surprised if you weren't actually involved in these discussions. The usual folks were. This was before the season started.

I think it was just a very bad trade, just like the Bogey trade. In spite of the Ainge worship the FO made a few moves that were bad, if not really bad. The spin on it even from the media is funny. We are at a point were every move and every decision is given a pass because of what we got for Rudy and Donny.
It was fine... the Bogey deal was rough but it was about more than just one player for another. The money they saved got them out of the tax in that one. I think Ainge overplayed his hand a bit and may have done better making a move for Westbrook in the offseason. Maybe we get one pick unprotected and end up losing 5 or so more games without KO. The deal he ended up making was fine but I think he went for a homerun and had to pivot a bit.

Man I wish I could find the thread when everyone was talking about it. Hell, some were saying we could get 2 first round picks for taking him off the lakers hands. I would be surprised if you weren't actually involved in these discussions. The usual folks were. This was before the season started.
We would have had to give up good players though. I had pitched a preseason deal where they could essentially have whatever combo of Conley, Bogey, Vando, Beasley, JC they wanted for two picks and Westbrook. Said I would do it for 1 if they weren't with it. It was partly because I knew we were still too good to get to the bottom 5 of the league and partly cuz the Westbrook deal helps clear the salary deck essentially.

There were some doing the math saying the contract was horrible and worth one pick by itself then saying the other guys were worth a pick by themselves and doing the math that way... but it just doesn't (or didn't) work that way.

I remember the conversations. The deal would’ve went some combination of Quin/Conley/Bogey/Clarkson/Vando/Beasley (this basic idea was being kicked around for several months which is why there is such a range) for Westbrook (and maybe other garbage salary of theirs).

I am quite certain “everyone“ didn’t think we could fetch the picks just because we were taking on Westbrooks deal. The rub is that the Lakers are all in on maybe the GOAT in his late 30’s and a sometimes top-10 player that they leveraged everything they could get who will likely only get less durable over time, so the Lakers would have an urgency to have a much better roster.

What was the theory then is what transpired: The Lakers sought to turn Westbrook into much more complementary players in order to improve. They traded him with a high-value asset (despite that it left something to be desired) and got players they wanted.

Again - and I cannot stress this enough - The Lakers could have just waived Westbrook and it would not have changed their cap picture.

The TLDR; is the Lakers made the trade to get good players and they did exactly that.

I’ll own up to this. I thought the floor for taking on Westbrook and giving up decent roleplayers was one unprotected or lightly protected draft pick.

That pick essentially disappearing after only one season if the Lakers hit the lottery down right shocked me. I was also surprised that we agreed to a deal that messed around with the Minnesota picks we already owned.

I’ll own up to this. I thought the floor for taking on Westbrook and giving up decent roleplayers was one unprotected or lightly protected draft pick.
You don’t have to “own up” to anything. I bolded the operative difference: we were talking about the Lakers actually receiving useful players. They were looking for actual players, not just trying to get rid of Westbrook.

Anyone realistic wasn’t saying that. There was a point where HH and I were thinking Conley plus fillers for Westbrook and a pick swap was the absolute lowest we’d go.

If Conley doesn't back rim the last shot against the Nuggets in game seven of the bubble year, all the hate would not be here. Giving up picks to get Conley was my issue because we were doing Memphis a favor by taking on his contract.

FWIW, the Nets seem disinclined to trade Mikal Bridges for the #3 pick (which is still likely going to be Brandon Miller, rather than Scoot).

I would take Lowry + 18 for Gay. Lowry is an expiring contract this upcoming season.

Miami will have the 3rd highest payroll in the league before re-signing Strus and Vincent if they don’t do anything.

I would take Lowry + 18 for Gay. Lowry is an expiring contract this upcoming season.

Miami will have the 3rd highest payroll in the league before re-signing Strus and Vincent if they don’t do anything.
That's too rich for the Jazz. Heat probably wouldn't do it even if the Jazz straight absorbed Lowry.

I think Nunn is a valuable piece in specific circumstances. This would be one of them. Similarly, trading Nunn to GSW for GPII and their pick.