What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

Does anyone think Cody can play defense? Not great on paper....reviews seem to be mixed on film + physical attributes.

What do you like that Williams gives you over the other availables?
He has NBA size and athleticism and looks like he will be a good defender and has some touch which gives me hope for his offense. He's got a long ways to go, but I can see it coming together with him more than Holland or Buzelis for example.

I'm mostly going off length and athleticism, but I could be way off.

Everyone seems to agree that he's kind of switchy....but I'm curious to see if there's more to that. I feel as though people forget that there's way more to defense than on ball defense and it's easy to get tunnel vision on that one aspect. The extremely low rebounds + low stocks gives me concern and I see that as a poor reflection of his functional athleticism. NBA athletes are typically able to put up that production in college by default. He's at the intersection of two really bad indicators. There are almost no good NBA perimeter defenders with that low of stocks and almost no NBA players in general of his size that rebounded so poorly. So if he does end up a good NBA defender, he's an outlier in more than one way.

Everyone seems to agree that he's kind of switchy....but I'm curious to see if there's more to that. I feel as though people forget that there's way more to defense than on ball defense and it's easy to get tunnel vision on that one aspect. The extremely low rebounds + low stocks gives me concern and I see that as a poor reflection of his functional athleticism. NBA athletes are typically able to put up that production in college by default. He's at the intersection of two really bad indicators. There are almost no good NBA perimeter defenders with that low of stocks and almost no NBA players in general of his size that rebounded so poorly. So if he does end up a good NBA defender, he's an outlier in more than one way.
I think those numbers are red flags, but in this draft almost every prospect has them, so it's more of a question on which red flags you are willing to ignore.

I think those numbers are red flags, but in this draft almost every prospect has them, so it's more of a question on which red flags you are willing to ignore.

It also brings up the question of.....does it mean more that a guy is visibly long and athletic or that he does the thing that athleticism is supposed to accomplish? Personally, I've always leaned more on the guys who are good at doing the things over guys that look the part.

It feels like this ranking didn't get enough discussion. I know evaluations will change with workouts and the combine, but there a couple surprises. First is Cody Williams not being in the top 10. Second is Buzelis being so high. Also Dillingham and Sheppard being in the lower tier.
Biggest reason I didn’t talk about it at all is because it simply doesn’t mean much at all.
IMG_7228.jpeg
This is straight from ESPN. Who’s the panel of experts?

It's very interesting to get an early sneak peak on how teams view the draft vs how we talk about the draft on here. Lots of people on here making statements on here like so and so will definitely not be available at 8 when the team rankings have them much lower.
They aren’t team rankings lol. Teams sent in a top-10 composite ranking of prospects but how much is it weighted vs the other stuff like publicly available rankings and the panel of experts?

Also, what incentive do teams have of giving their exact correct rankings of players now?

It also brings up the question of.....does it mean more that a guy is visibly long and athletic or that he does the thing that athleticism is supposed to accomplish? Personally, I've always leaned more on the guys who are good at doing the things over guys that look the part.
I get what you are saying, but sometimes the sample size and role and injuries can effect the numbers.

They aren’t team rankings lol. Teams sent in a top-10 composite ranking of prospects but how much is it weighted vs the other stuff like publicly available rankings and the panel of experts?

I would argue that it's biggest flaw is that it is based off of so limited information, i.e. we haven't even had the combine or any team workouts.

He has NBA size and athleticism and looks like he will be a good defender and has some touch which gives me hope for his offense. He's got a long ways to go, but I can see it coming together with him more than Holland or Buzelis for example.
He is long AF which is probably his best trait over the other wing prospects. I dont think any of the wings in the draft are particularly long maybe outside of Knecht (maybe Holland but his shoulders are so incredibly narrow it makes his wingspan look small to my eye-test).

I do think that the wing trio (Holland/Buzelis/Williams) is constantly changing my mind. I'm not particularly a fan of any of them, but I can see all 3 panning out. Holland has the explosive athleticism, Buzelis has the offensive craft/fluidity, and Williams has the length/downhill ability. I'm not sure who is more athletic between Williams/Buzelis. I would probably give Buzelis the edge.

I think I just lean Williams being the worst of the 3 due to his lack of tenacity and complete lack of off the dribble shooting. I know shooting can be taught, but off the dribble game is a tougher thing to teach especially when you arent showing any signs of attempting them.

There's nothing about the list that is out of the ordinary. Really no need to question it.
I’m not questioning it. I just wouldn’t take it as gospel. I highly doubt both Sheppard and Dillingham go in the 7-10 range. I’ll be surprised if one of them do.