What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

He is long AF which is probably his best trait over the other wing prospects. I dont think any of the wings in the draft are particularly long maybe outside of Knecht (maybe Holland but his shoulders are so incredibly narrow it makes his wingspan look small to my eye-test).

I do think that the wing trio (Holland/Buzelis/Williams) is constantly changing my mind. I'm not particularly a fan of any of them, but I can see all 3 panning out. Holland has the explosive athleticism, Buzelis has the offensive craft/fluidity, and Williams has the length/downhill ability. I'm not sure who is more athletic between Williams/Buzelis. I would probably give Buzelis the edge.

I think I just lean Williams being the worst of the 3 due to his lack of tenacity and complete lack of off the dribble shooting. I know shooting can be taught, but off the dribble game is a tougher thing to teach especially when you arent showing any signs of attempting them.
This is a good summary. I'm not particularly confident in my opinion that Williams is the best prospect, but that's how I currently see it.

I would be pretty confident in betting the Jazz dont draft Sheppard or Dillingham. Ainge's draft history is pretty clear. He likes size and if he's drafting a shorter player they have to have some combination of length, girth, and defensive tenacity (think the smallest guy he has ever drafted in the first round has been Avery Bradley, 6'3 in shoes w/ a +4'' wingspan at 180 lbs).

There will just be too options for players in the same tier that have size for Ainge to pass up on to draft Dillingham/Sheppard.

Terry Rozier is 6'1" or 6'2" and around 185 lbs, but he was also a mid-1st rd pick. Also, the game has just evolved and length and athleticism on the perimeter are really sought after.

Terry Rozier is 6'1" or 6'2" and around 185 lbs, but he was also a mid-1st rd pick. Also, the game has just evolved and length and athleticism on the perimeter are really sought after.
6'2 in shoes with a 6'8 wingspan and was known as a defensive dog and was a solid 190. Like I said, has to have some combo of size/length/girth/tenacity. Rozier had length and tenacity.

I mean I am catching shade for saying Dillingham won’t be available at 8 due to these rankings.
I doubt most teams have anything more than a very rough draft of their big boards. We are so early in the process that nobody can really know how things will shape up, but that's really the whole point. I wasn't meaning to throw shade, but for people to be so confident that anybody definitely won't be available is just a projection of their own opinion.

I get what you are saying, but sometimes the sample size and role and injuries can effect the numbers.

We will see. One of the reasons why I lean the way I do is that if there were a bunch of exceptions to the rule due to SSS….we’d see them. I consider myself to be a pessimist when it comes to guys with poor shooting….but at least there are examples of that happening.

IIRC, the only two perimeter players to have this low of stocks and get an all defense vote in the last 10 years are Devin Booker and Austin Rivers who each got a single vote (probably not deserved). So while there’s always a chance he could be the first to buck the trend, I’m just not considering him a strong defensive prospect because of how rare it would be given his indicators. I think he’s a defensive prospect where you’re hoping he’s just not terrible, but there’s a low chance he’s actually good.

We will see. One of the reasons why I lean the way I do is that if there were a bunch of exceptions to the rule due to SSS….we’d see them. I consider myself to be a pessimist when it comes to guys with poor shooting….but at least there are examples of that happening.

IIRC, the only two perimeter players to have this low of stocks and get an all defense vote in the last 10 years are Devin Booker and Austin Rivers who each got a single vote (probably not deserved). So while there’s always a chance he could be the first to buck the trend, I’m just not considering him a strong defensive prospect because of how rare it would be given his indicators. I think he’s a defensive prospect where you’re hoping he’s just not terrible, but there’s a low chance he’s actually good.
Ok, I don't think he's going to be an all defensive team guy, but I think he can still be good.

BTW, this applies to Castle as well. I do think he is a good defender….but if he gets an all defensive team vote in his career he will join this extremely rare group. There’s probably a strong argument that this group should not exist at all as Booker/Rivers did not deserve their single votes.

I buy the scoring for Cody Williams….not sure he contributes much else though. TJ Warren kind of prospect.

I buy the scoring for Cody Williams….not sure he contributes much else though. TJ Warren kind of prospect.
Still say his upside is Batum if he can figure out the shooting. I just don't buy the scoring stuff. He will have to become a better shooter