What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

Like if I have a choice at a tiny PG and a big wing, the tiny PG has to be significantly better to be drafted over the big wing unless I just have to swing on a PG because I have everything else.

I just can't believe that teams are meticulously rating these guys out to the point that if Player X is rated "84" that they are 100/100 times getting drafted over Player Y who is rated "83"

I think BPA is kind of a crock of **** and is just a label to justify a decision without having to go into detail

It's pretty simple. We just don't think the Jazz roster precludes us from drafting another player. What more detail do you need more than that? If you believe there is a reason why we cannot draft a certain type of player, that deserves some detailed explanation. This idea that teams are meticulously rating guys 84 and 83 is your own creation. Nobody is talking about that. What we do know is there are some players on certain rosters that are good enough/important enough to influence draft decisions. For example, if the Pistons think Cade is their franchise guy it makes sense to draft with him in mind. The only player the Jazz have that's for sure good/important enough is Lauri, but he fits with literally any kind of player. Maybe you think Sexton or Keyonte is good enough to make draft decisions around, that would be the discussion point against BPA.

If you think bigger wings are inherently more valuable than small guards in general, that is also saying BPA. The value of a player's archetype is obviously included in how good you think a prospect is. BPA is a statement about the team context and whether or not that should preclude that specific team from drafting certain players.

If you noticed, @latin jazz didn't make a comment about meticulously ranking guys. He made a comment saying Keyonte and Kessler should not preclude us from drafting anyone. That is what the BPA discussion is.

He is not my number 1, but if you got him I don’t feel like he would fit well with Keyonte, especially with respect to defense. So, in my opinion you would need to trade Keyonte or relegate him to the 6th man
I think Shepherd pairs fine with Keyonte, but yes, in general, the guard rotation would need to be addressed/cleaned up. I think he’s be the best prospect of legit stardom of those dudes (he’s orders of magnitude better defensively than Sexton or Keyonte, an absolutely bonkers shooting talent, better intangibles/feel/IQ).

But I guess mostly what I’m saying is he’s the only player I’d trade up for. Standing pat is fine. Reed is the only player in this draft that looks actually special and translatable to me, but nothing is guaranteed.

More reason to go BPA. If you’re letting fit get in the way, you’re assuming the two things go right. If that happens to be the case….well damn how terrible it must be to have two good players. Just like you can’t predict BPA, you can’t predict that the guy who “fits” will actually pan out. With no guarantees you shouldn’t let fit get in the way of taking your best shot unless the situation is very established.

Unless you want to go forward with Sexton and make him a cornerstone, the Jazz don’t have anyone on roster that should prevent any kind of player from being drafted.
I usually lean a little more fit than BPA than most here most of the time, but I have so little confidence at the top of this draft (I like Castle, but does he end up like Antonio Daniels [a player I like] but tougher?).

Last year, we took three draft picks. We have the picks this year and three picks next year. We have to make a trade because there is no way we want a roster that young. I wouldn't be surprised if we try and move up in this draft.

Last year, we took three draft picks. We have the picks this year and three picks next year. We have to make a trade because there is no way we want a roster that young. I wouldn't be surprised if we try and move up in this draft.
Draft 9 rookies last/this/next year trade Lauri, and have top picks for the next 3 years trade for a star or two

Derek Lively to the Mavs is a clear cut example that BPA is dumb as **** and there are other factors than just a raw "who is better on paper" thought exercise.

My worry with Sheppard is that he never gets enough PG reps to truly develop as a lead guard and he just becomes a severely undersized combo guard. Not that he can't be good in that role, but I just struggle to see how much impact someone his size can have if he isnt a primary guy and/or can't guard other primary PG's.

Just from a basketball fan perspective, and not a Jazz fan, I hope he goes somewhere that actually views him as a PG and tries to develop him as a true lead guard, but that seems kind of unlikely?

Currently the most mocked place he goes to is Houston. He's going to be behind FVV for at least a year and Amen/Green will probably be on-ball more than him long-term? If he falls past the Rockets at 3 and the Spurs dont take him, he's likely going to Detroit or Charlotte, both who have primary on-ball creators.

Currently I'm struggling with him at 6 or 7 w/ Devin Carter being the guy I'm flip/flopping on having him ranked over. If I knew he would go somewhere and be developed as a lead, I would have him ranked higher. I feel like if Reed never develops to the point where he is viewed as a PG, then Devin Carter is going to have the better career as a combo guard.

Having all four of those skill sets isn't all that common. I think for instance Risacher is the only other guy projected in the top 10 that can currently do all four. Cody's big issue is his body. He's going to have to transform it. If you are looking at current NBA readiness, I can see an issue with a top 4 grade on him. But, if we are looking at upside, I think four years down the line he's got a real chance
I get it. My biggest issue with him is he has a bit of bully ball in him, and at the college level he looked awkward at times doing it at 6-7 178lb’s. How’s he going to do that at the next level. Yes I know he needs to add weight, but for years and years it would be reported that AK47 put on 15lb’s in the offseason only for him to lose that in the first month every year. Williams is a good 40lb’s lighter than AK was assuming his listed weight is correct and yes AK is two inches taller but 40lb’s is a significant difference. Williams kinda reminds me of Tony Snell a bit.

Watching Williams handle the ball I just don’t get that he has elite handle in any way and don’t think he will do well protecting the ball. I have a difficult time thinking anyone in the top 4 would consider him a top 4 pick compared to what’s out there.

The Athletic podcast with Fred Katz had a mock draft episode on Friday and they actually put some respect on Sexton's name. Honestly the first national pod where they talked about the Jazz draft options and roster construction and actually acknowledged Sexton is underrated.

The Athletic podcast with Fred Katz had a mock draft episode on Friday and they actually put some respect on Sexton's name. Honestly the first national pod where they talked about the Jazz draft options and roster construction and actually acknowledged Sexton is underrated.
Listened to the same podcast. The proposed trade of #3 and Jabari smith jr. for Lauri was interesting.