What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

My worry with Sheppard is that he never gets enough PG reps to truly develop as a lead guard and he just becomes a severely undersized combo guard. Not that he can't be good in that role, but I just struggle to see how much impact someone his size can have if he isnt a primary guy and/or can't guard other primary PG's.

Just from a basketball fan perspective, and not a Jazz fan, I hope he goes somewhere that actually views him as a PG and tries to develop him as a true lead guard, but that seems kind of unlikely?

Currently the most mocked place he goes to is Houston. He's going to be behind FVV for at least a year and Amen/Green will probably be on-ball more than him long-term? If he falls past the Rockets at 3 and the Spurs dont take him, he's likely going to Detroit or Charlotte, both who have primary on-ball creators.

Currently I'm struggling with him at 6 or 7 w/ Devin Carter being the guy I'm flip/flopping on having him ranked over. If I knew he would go somewhere and be developed as a lead, I would have him ranked higher. I feel like if Reed never develops to the point where he is viewed as a PG, then Devin Carter is going to have the better career as a combo guard.

Reed needs to become more dynamic off the dribble. He needs to learn to play off screens, and he also needs to be able to get off the ball, relocate and get it back. I think he can probably do those things. His shooting gravity will pull defenders out and over screens, at least.

If there's anything the playoffs are showing it's that teams need to have multiple creators on the floor. In the Celtics' model, there's less importance on someone functioning as a primary ball handler. Someone needs to draw defenders, and then one or more secondary guys need to be able to attack. Sheppard will probably be a kick-out guy and secondary creator.

Last edited:
It matters to an extent only if that one player is levels ahead with a high ceiling
Sure, but you also have to think about who your team can develop the best. If you have a team full of primary ball-handlers who are fully established you are probably going to have a hard time developing a guy who needs to be a primary ball-handler to realize his potential.

Reed needs to become more dynamic off the dribble. He needs to learn to play off screens, and he also needs to be able to get off the ball, relocate and get it back. I think he can probably do those things. His shooting gravity will pull defenders out and over screens, at least.

f there's nything the playoffs are showing it's that teams need to have multiple creators on the floor. In the Celtics' model, there's less importance on someone functioning as a primary ball handler.
Boston's 1-5 talent is truly outlier for team building so I dont think the Celtics model shows us anything.

Derek Lively to the Mavs is a clear cut example that BPA is dumb as **** and there are other factors than just a raw "who is better on paper" thought exercise.

The Mavs had been to the WC finals already. They had Luka Doncic and Kyrie Irving. Completely different situation. Turns out that when you have established players and are at a different stage as a franchise you should have a different drafting strategy. A team trying to appease their superstar and win now is completely different from a team building for the future and not concerned with winning now. Crazy right.

You keep complaining about BPA and outright ignoring the reasons why people say the Jazz should draft BPA. I guess you can be on your own corner mad and arguing against things you made up yourself. There is clearly no interest in discussing why the Jazz should preclude themselves from drafting a player because of their current roster.

I think the Jazz are going to try to trade up for Sheppard or possibly Cody Williams, mostly because that's been the story that David Locke has been selling. If that fails, they can sit at #10 and probably draft Topic. However, the Jazz have as many or more pieces to trade up with as anyone.

The Jazz might be in on Stephon Castle. I just haven't actually heard it anywhere, other than the self-proclaimed stock picker on Twitter.

We have no players on the Jazz roster that should preclude us from drafting a certain type of player. If Lauri could not fit with a player in this draft, I would say we shouldn't draft that guy but there does not exist a player who can't play with Lauri. Sexton is a maybe. If you really want to build around him as a franchise cornerstone, maybe you factor him into your decision making. Otherwise....can't see it. Keyonte and Kessler aren't good enough where you can't draft another player. This is why the Jazz are in a position to draft BPA. Different situations call for different drafting strategies.

I think the Jazz are going to try to trade up for Sheppard or possibly Cody Williams, mostly because that's been the story that David Locke has been selling. If that fails, they can sit at #10 and probably draft Topic. However, the Jazz have as many or more pieces to trade up with as anyone.

The Jazz might be in on Stephon Castle. I just haven't actually heard it anywhere, other than the self-proclaimed stock picker on Twitter.
I don’t think David’s in the loop with anything nowadays.

Derek Lively was the BPA where he was picked.
Not according to what the consensus big board/mocks were telling us. That would have been Cam Whitmore if you went by what evaluators were telling us pre-draft.

But yeah, you can always just say "BPA" and everyone will buy it. That's what teams do and they sell it as BPA so people buy that "BPA" is an actual thing.

Because no one thinks the Jazz have a shot at getting Castle...

I don’t think David’s in the loop with anything nowadays.

I think he is. I think he's getting some loose direction from guys in the organization, at least so that he doesn't completely bad-mouth the guy the Jazz are planning to take. I don't think he follows the draft closely enough to form much of his own detailed opinions. Locke has been selling the idea of trading up for Sheppard and getting out of the draft. He's been selling Williams and Holland if we stay at 10. He was selling Topic for a show or two, but then turned on him a bit in his last show, questioning whether he could shoot.

I think he is. I think he's getting some loose direction from guys in the organization, at least so that he doesn't completely bad-mouth the guy the Jazz are planning to take. I don't think he follows the draft closely enough to form much of his own detailed opinions. Locke has been selling the idea of trading up for Sheppard and getting out of the draft. He's been selling Williams and Holland if we stay at 10. He was selling Topic for a show or two, but then turned on him a bit in his last show, questioning whether he could shoot.
I watch Locked on Jazz almost everyday and viewership is always less than 3-4k.. and even less take his words as gospel.

I don’t think he has as many “followers” as you may think.

Not according to what the consensus big board/mocks were telling us. That would have been Cam Whitmore if you went by what evaluators were telling us pre-draft.

But yeah, you can always just say "BPA" and everyone will buy it. That's what teams do and they sell it as BPA so people buy that "BPA" is an actual thing.
Whitmore is an outlier. He was off most FO’s board by draft day hence the big drop.