What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

"The jumper is going to take time, but if it ever comes along at a reasonable level, he’s probably going to be a star. He’s an elite defender, an awesome processor of basketball and a real passer and playmaker with the frame and strength to finish around the rim. He has better ball skills and a better shooting base than someone like Isaac Okoro, who went in the top five of the 2020 NBA Draft. He was also a more impactful defender than even Okoro was, and that’s saying a lot."

Looks like Sam is in the same page as me with Okoro being a low end outcome for Castle.

"
His mobility at his size is too good, and he’s stronger with a more physical frame than Walker Kessler. I also think he’s a better rebounder than Kessler due to that ability to anchor on the interior.

However, the biggest difference between the two comes as a passer. Clingan is a legitimate passer with awesome vision for a center. He’s comfortable running dribble-handoff actions at the top of the key but can also reject them if they’re getting overplayed and just try to make a pass himself. He averaged nearly two assists per game over his final 18 games and had a 2-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio.

In this draft, if you’re telling me I’m getting an elite defensive big who finishes inside and passes well, I’m taking him in the top 10."

Sam has Cling Kong as being a stronger, better passing Walker Kessler. If the Jazz stay at 8 and he drops to them that might be hard to pass up on.

"Johnson came into his time at Illawarra in the ballpark of 6-5 to 6-6. Seeing him stand next to Ron Holland, who is around 6-7 1/2 in shoes, was an eye-opener, as he looked about as tall as Holland. I asked Johnson after his workout if he’d grown during his time in Australia, and he said yes, and multiple sources both in the United States and around the NBL confirmed Johnson’s account that he has grown a bit since the last time many American audiences saw him in high school. Johnson’s measurements will likely be among the more coveted by NBA personnel; if he’s grown into that 6-7 range as it seems he has, it opens up many more avenues for his success. Instead of being more of a guard, it can realistically slide Johnson down to the wing at some point in his career, especially given his wingspan that appears to be something in the ballpark of 6-11."

The people who want someone to get excited about will go to Aj Johnson after Dink Pate gets denied.

I haven't really caught up on AJ Johnson since the start of the NBL, but he did look intriguing. He caught my eye more than Dink.

"The intersection of size and athleticism is real, but he’s far too raw at this stage. I don’t think I would even feel great about him opening next season as a starting big at a high-major college. Chomche is still really learning and developing his feel for the game. He often looked a bit lost on defense in ball-screen coverages and in communicating with his teammates. He also chased nearly everything around the rim, leading to offensive rebounds or fouls."

Crazy that MelloChill argued with me that he wasn't raw.

"The intersection of size and athleticism is real, but he’s far too raw at this stage. I don’t think I would even feel great about him opening next season as a starting big at a high-major college. Chomche is still really learning and developing his feel for the game. He often looked a bit lost on defense in ball-screen coverages and in communicating with his teammates. He also chased nearly everything around the rim, leading to offensive rebounds or fouls."

Crazy that MelloChill argued with me that he wasn't raw.

Chomche played better and looked more developed than Maluach at the Nike Hoop Summit game. Several people made that observation, including Rafael Barlowe. I don't think he's "too raw", and he seems quite mature for an 18 year-old. But clearly he's an interesting prospect, and he should get drafted inside the top 40. Putting him at 90 is a copout. Let's see where he ends up going.

Last edited:
Castle not being a steals guy is a little worrying to me. I know UConn plays a very conservative defense, but the “he doesn’t go for them” argument doesn’t really jive with me. It’s another way of saying he doesn’t do one of the most important things on defense which is to create turnovers.

He can certainly be an outlier, but I guess what I’m saying is that if/when he becomes a good defender in the NBA he would be an outlier.

I think I would have Wallace/Black as better prospects for that reason.

Chomche played better and looked more developed than Maluach at the Nike Hoop Summit game. Several people made that observation, including Rafael Barlowe. I don't think he's "too raw", and he seems quite mature for an 18 year-old. But clearly he's an interesting prospect, and he should get drafted inside the top 40. Putting him at 90 is a copout. Let's see where he ends up going.

Saw a Reddit post about Malauch that basically called him a complete fraud….or at least his case as a prospect is fraudulent. Whenever he’s played in a competitive game he’s score like 2 points every time. The only time he’s been productive is during games where it didn’t matter for either team and teams weren’t playing their players.

I’m aware but he’s like the assistant to a guy that feels somewhat temporary and ESPN was putting him front and center. I think he had some serious juice if he stayed. He’s so charismatic I imagine he gets a GM job at some point. So maybe he regrets nothing. I’m just not sure I would have picked that job if I was him.
He seems to be having some sway in that FO. According to what I've heard Shaedon Sharpe was practically his pick. He might be on his way to getting his own GM job if he continues doing good job with the Blazers...

vJV5ZHsVudTkxRrHtHEoVyzwtUvEHPraoMo_5uhgw24_IFoxa-r8NS_oESn_9XZNceEVKnbuIOfaf3USbUtz0_en8aOVHzgUOz2DBGHlBSzA4Z5fSvLmp0IQNN3hnNQDNIwS06ONXVXGoGgskSch0Pg
This shot chart looks brutal! o_O Is there ANYTHING he's good at? Besides being big and athletic?

His play when Dillingham was off the court really puts me at ease. Definitely suggests he was being limited.
Isn't there worry that with any other good ballhandler he would always take the backseat? If he did it with Dillingham, wouldn't he do the same with... any starting lead guard really... Keyonte... Sexton... etc. Meaning - what version of Sheppard do you think you are getting on an NBA team - the 25% usage version or the 15% version? And is the 15% version providing enough to justify being on the floor?

Saw a Reddit post about Malauch that basically called him a complete fraud….or at least his case as a prospect is fraudulent. Whenever he’s played in a competitive game he’s score like 2 points every time. The only time he’s been productive is during games where it didn’t matter for either team and teams weren’t playing their players.
One of those dudes who looks insanely athletic next to mediocre competition but against regular high major players looks like he plays in quicksand. Plus really weak. May just need time to fill out, but why go to Duke? He's going to recruited over in a year and have to transfer go pro.

I just don't think the game in Africa is advanced enough yet to develop guys at a high level yet. A lot of these guys need to spend 4 years in college or go overseas to play on a developmental team.

Another thing I came across in my deep dive with Sheppard, only 45% of his baskets were assisted this season. That is a mark lower than Dillingham who is (rightfully) labeled the best shot creator in this draft. When you see 18% USG and 70% TS you might think someone like Gobert or a strict spot up shooter like Grayson Allen this year....someone who gets the large majority of their buckets assisted. Sheppard is not that guy. That's lower than Collin Sexton this year.
He's like... Stockton... in the absolute ideal case scenario. In the 99.99th percentile outcome... I just don't think he gets there or anywhere close... in the 50th percentile scenario he's like... a more defensively attentive Kendall Marshall or something like that.

Last edited:
One of those dudes who looks insanely athletic next to mediocre competition but against regular high major players looks like he plays in quicksand. Plus really weak. May just need time to fill out, but why go to Duke? He's going to recruited over in a year and have to transfer go pro.

I just don't think the game in Africa is advanced enough yet to develop guys at a high level yet. A lot of these guys need to spend 4 years in college or go overseas to play on a developmental team.

I agree. I think Malauch definitely has real talent....he will probably get worked by upperclassmen bigs in the ACC. Might be a situation where he plays like 5-10 minutes a game.