What's new

2024 NBA Draft Reaction Thread

I don't want to disturb too much what seems to have died down, but I saw something on reddit that sounds plausible regarding Filipowski/fiancee. I find it more plausible than a lot of the claims that I've seen because the person making it doesn't seem to have an agenda to throw shade in one direction or another. My inclination to give it credence could be totally mistaken of course, but it does seem to suggest that legal issues of grooming may not be at play, even if manipulation and judgment may still be. In this reddit thread, someone using the OffDutyTacoTruck moniker claims:

Yo I’m actually in a rare situation where I know someone very close to the situation - this is what he had to say

“Their parents are family friends, so they grew up pretty close. Her dad was in the military so they ended up moving away so she wasn’t in his life for a while. She popped back up his senior year of high school when he got national recognition (#5) and turned 18… she was 24 or 25 at the time. Started dating, went to prom together, and at this same time her parents (big Mormons) told Kyle’s that “she is good for him and would take good care of him at Duke. Keep him out of drugs, keep him from partying, etc.” His parents immediately got a red flag given the timing of her coming back in his life and given the things they were saying.

She bought a house next to dukes campus, walked with him to and from every class, he slept at her house and spent every moment there, she wouldn’t let him hangout with teammates or attend team activities. She went to EVERY game, home and away. Told him that his family was bad for him, that they were holding him back, they were against her, etc. So he cut everyone off, twin brother included all last year before march madness of his freshman year.

He gave all tickets to her, her friends and her family. “

Also it appears from what I've been able to gather that because of her family's military background, she started school early in Germany and graduated high school early (at 16). He spent most of his senior year in high school at age 18. This helps explain a bit more of the large educational gap, but she's still 6 years older, of course.

I think he's going to be careful not to offend his bosses. He was also gushing pretty hard for Cody Williams in the weeks leading up to the draft. The knock on Filipowski is that he's a bit soft and isn't much of a rim deterrent. That said, he isn't a defensive zero like Kelly Olynyk, and he moves on the perimeter better than the aging version of Al Horford (who gets attacked constantly).

Filipowski is the best ball-mover among our bigs currently. He can also put the ball down and create for himself. Offensively, I think that's what the Jazz want at the 5. If he can shoot league-average from deep, think how much space that gives the Jazz's drivers to work with.
Well there’s a difference between minding what he says and being able to glean something about the FO’s take on prospects or draft strategy from what he says, which is what you seemed to insinuate before the draft.

My take is and was that he’s no longer part of the inner circle when Ainge took over.

I don't want to disturb too much what seems to have died down, but I saw something on reddit that sounds plausible regarding Filipowski/fiancee. I find it more plausible than a lot of the claims that I've seen because the person making it doesn't seem to have an agenda to throw shade in one direction or another. My inclination to give it credence could be totally mistaken of course, but it does seem to suggest that legal issues of grooming may not be at play, even if manipulation and judgment may still be. In this reddit thread, someone using the OffDutyTacoTruck moniker claims:
If she didn't pop back up in his life until he was 18, then the word "grooming" doesn't belong in this conversation.

Well there’s a difference between minding what he says and being able to glean something about the FO’s take on prospects or draft strategy from what he says, which is what you seemed to insinuate before the draft.

My take is and was that he’s no longer part of the inner circle when Ainge took over.

I think Locke probably developed relationships with some of the assistant coaches, like Alex Jensen and Lamar Skeeter, and some of those guys have moved on. I'm not sure he was ever part of the inner circle per se. However, the Jazz used to allow some media personnel to attend pre-draft workouts in the past and that wasn't the case this year.

If you saw David Locke's draft coverage on Jazz+, you'd see he was plugged in to what the Jazz wanted to do on draft night.

Ultimately, this likely comes down to the fact that Kyle is going to come into some money and the family (who went through all of the trouble of helping him build his career) is taking second fiddle to this girl.

Honestly, however, Kyle is going to be at the meagre end of the NBA train, so fighting about HIS money is stupid.

However, fighting about money with family members is an American past-time and has resulted in some of the most ugly things I have ever seen in my life. This is tame in comparison.
Meagre end of the NBA train is still sky high compare to what we mere mortals make though.

But yeah the way to get some of that money isn’t to piss him off even more.. lol.. kinda stupid for the family to do that imo.

Never come between the man and his girl.. lol..

Tony said that Williams would have been considered if the Jazz had the #1 pick so can we all agree to stop complaining about the half tank?
I’ll say this, I don’t think the jazz are to blame all that much for the lack of a sufficient tank in year one. They had just traded two all stars and two highest scorers in DM and Bogey. I’m sure they wanted to keep Conley as a veteran leader. Sexton and Markkanen were basically throw-ins to go along with Agbaji, and little did they know that Markkanen would blow up the way he did. But moves should’ve been made last offseason.