What's new

2024 NBA Free Agency Thread

2544.png
Why would LeBron love Max Christie though?

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Ok, then I’m all for it. Losing the JC’s is the last stripping down we need to do. Keep Lauri and the kids and move forward.
Agreed.

Is kind of sad that we front-loaded Clarksons contact heavily last season and it's doubtful whether we can dump him for expiring contracts

Collins does seem kind of like a player that fits how the Clippers might want to play. Harden/Collins PNR would be nice. He wouldnt be good next to Zubac though and they are probably better off just playing Zubac more minutes than Collins at the 5.

I dont really see Clarkson being a fit at all with the Clippers unless they want to swap Powell/Clarkson just for the LT savings but idk why the Jazz would want to do that unless they know they can move Powell somewhere.

I think Collins can still play as a 4 for most teams. He did that for many years in ATL and it only became a major problem once his finger ballooned. If his shooting is back, he can be more of a hybrid. Offensively, he's obviously more ideal as a 5....but I think he can be starting PF/Backup C for many teams including those with non shooting C's.

I think a lot of people attribute his struggles/rebound to him playing 4 vs 5.....but I don't believe that to be the case. There's no doubt he was on the struggle bus at the beginning of the season, but prior to Jan 1 his TS% was actually better with Kessler than it was without him. In particular, his 2FG% without Kessler on the court was 49% which is terrible to his standard. Collins did not make a big jump because he stopped playing with Kessler, he made a big jump because he improved in the non-Kessler minutes.

I think Collins can still play as a 4 for most teams. He did that for many years in ATL and it only became a major problem once his finger ballooned. If his shooting is back, he can be more of a hybrid. Offensively, he's obviously more ideal as a 5....but I think he can be starting PF/Backup C for many teams including those with non shooting C's.

I think a lot of people attribute his struggles/rebound to him playing 4 vs 5.....but I don't believe that to be the case. There's no doubt he was on the struggle bus at the beginning of the season, but prior to Jan 1 his TS% was actually better with Kessler than it was without him. In particular, his 2FG% without Kessler on the court was 49% which is terrible to his standard. Collins did not make a big jump because he stopped playing with Kessler, he made a big jump because he improved in the non-Kessler minutes.
I'm not sure Collins can raise his value much with his play. I think the market has revolted a bit against these types of contracts to these types of players. I don't know what they are thinking as far as direction of the franchise, but if they keep Kessler and Collins I would start Kessler and not worry about John's trade value. He can be moved as an expiring next year. Bring him off the bench in the role a good team would likely have him.

If they move Kessler I think Sexton/Collins could be pretty great as a PnR combo and really goose his numbers... I just think teams know the story here and it won't change how most teams view him.

I'm not sure Collins can raise his value much with his play. I think the market has revolted a bit against these types of contracts to these types of players. I don't know what they are thinking as far as direction of the franchise, but if they keep Kessler and Collins I would start Kessler and not worry about John's trade value. He can be moved as an expiring next year. Bring him off the bench in the role a good team would likely have him.

If they move Kessler I think Sexton/Collins could be pretty great as a PnR combo and really goose his numbers... I just think teams know the story here and it won't change how most teams view him.

I think he can improve his value with his play. I certainly think his value was different at the beginning of last year, the midpoint of last year, and the end of last year. Those shifts came down to the change in his play and I think continuing his good play would continue to improve his standing. If he plays like crap again to start the season, obviously the reverse would be true.

But my post wasn't to say that we should make it a big goal to improve his value....My point was to say, I don't think Collins is a strict 5 for other teams in the same way he is with UTA. I'm not sure he should be a strict 5 with us anyways. When he was bad, he was bad as the 5 (even worse than when he was playing as a 4). There are pros and cons to playing his as the 4 or 5, but I wouldn't say he's strictly one or the other for most teams.

Still no completion of the Dunn sign and trade, correct?

Just wanting to make sure I didn't miss something. Even if we do the maximum allowable R&E with Lauri, how much more money do we need to spend to get to the floor? Any ideas on how we will spend that money?

Just wanting to make sure I didn't miss something. Even if we do the maximum allowable R&E with Lauri, how much more money do we need to spend to get to the floor? Any ideas on how we will spend that money?
Yeah, it's weird

Maxing on the renegotiation gets the Jazz just over the salary floor. The Jazz will then sit by the phones for teams to call them to rent out that remaining space.

Because of that, I think the Dunn S&T won’t happen (unless the Jazz get something back that they shouldn’t since it compromises the potential return value on the remainder of the cap space).

Back