What's new

4th of July and Religion

Gameface

PICKS = FLEXIBILITY
Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
By the way, this is actually text from Hitler's first Radio address. I literally just changed references to Nazis to Christian nationalists.
I thought that sounded too coherent to be MTG.

The Thriller

Good find and I’m glad this is getting more attention. But too often the media downplays this extremist movement as being “small.” So it gives voters an easy out, “I’m not voting for Ted Cruz, Lauren Boebert, MTG, I’m voting for my trusty Mitt Romney who isn’t a cheaitian nationalist.” Very few voters are consciously voting to end democracy, multiculturalism, etc. they’re voting how they’ve always voted. Or they’re voting against the “status quo.”

In reality, by empowering the same party that is being pulled by its extremes, you’re voting to empower the extremes.

If voters continue to vote R this fall, they’re voting for Christian Nationalism.

The Thriller

I’m curious why you think it’s taken the media so long to recognize the danger this movement poses for American democracy? It’s not like it’s new. Mike Huckabee’s campaign in 2008 was far more explicit with his embrace with Christian nationalism than Trumps (perhaps that’s why Trump won and Huckabee and Santorum didn’t?)

“Frankly, we really don’t need a lot law if we’re people of morality,” Huckabee continued. “There are only 10 basic laws that we need. If you think about it, the Ten Commandments cover it all. There’s no need for an 11th. Everything that we need in life is covered in the 10. And the reason that law gets more complicated is because we try to figure out clever ways around those 10.”

Huckabee, an ordained Southern Baptist minister and former pastor, took things a step further later in his 10-minute “testimony.”

“I hope that you know Jesus Christ personally,” he said. “I hope that he is in your life, in your heart, because to the degree to which he rules you and governs you, you need less and less of man’s law to tell you how to live. And that is what our founding fathers understood, and we must understand.”

Santorum:

Rick Santorum declared his belief that the laws in our country must “comport” with God’s law. Santorum also argued in opposition to marriage equality, that our nation’s values “are based on Biblical truth… And, those truths don’t change just because people’s attitudes may change.”

It’s not like they’re screaming into the void. This should horrify most people on this website:

Today, about half of Americans (49%) say the Bible should have at least “some” influence on U.S. laws, including nearly a quarter (23%) who say it should have “a great deal” of influence, according to a recent Pew Research Center survey. Among U.S. Christians, two-thirds (68%) want the Bible to influence U.S. laws…
When the Bible and the will of the people conflict, which should have more influence on U.S. laws?The more common answer to this question is that the Bible should take priority over the will of the people. This view is expressed by more than a quarter of all Americans (28%).

Red

I’m curious why you think it’s taken the media so long to recognize the danger this movement poses for American democracy? It’s not like it’s new. Mike Huckabee’s campaign in 2008 was far more explicit with his embrace with Christian nationalism than Trumps (perhaps that’s why Trump won and Huckabee and Santorum didn’t?)

Santorum:

It’s not like they’re screaming into the void. This should horrify most people on this website:

Christianity, as it developed in the United States, and affected our identity, I think it’s a unique thing, and worthy of study on so many levels.

Christian nationalism could never be my cup of tea. But it’s not hard to see it as a potent motivating myth. I think it carry’s a degree of potential danger, if it’s foundation is built on a myth, and spits out nuts like this:

I saved this three part series, from early in Trump’s term. Any lessons extend beyond Trump, since this merger of faith and nation is endemic here.

Last edited:

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
Christianity, as it developed in the United States, and affected our identity, I think it’s a unique thing, and worthy of study on so many levels.

Christian nationalism could never be my cup of tea. But it’s not hard to see it as a potent motivating myth. I think it carry’s a degree of potential danger, if it’s foundation is built on a myth, and spits out nuts like this:

I saved this three part series, from early in Trump’s term. Any lessons extend beyond Trump, since this merger of faith and nation is endemic here.

Nationalism seems to run so afoul of real biblical Christianity as to be a parody of it. How in the ****ing hell can they say that they will force this on everyone while also loving their neighbor as themselves. Condemn everyone to hell, but forgive them for they know not what they do. The way Christianity has been bastardized and commercialized and every other -ized is just sickening in so many ways. Jesus would in no way recognize any of this as any kind of religion he espoused. I am sure he would liken this kind of thing far more to the money-lenders in the temple than the widow and her mite. Just disgusting how they use this all for political and financial gain, and for NO OTHER REASON. It is like we are heading into the crusades all over again. How long until the inquisition? What a joke, a blasphemous and sacrilegious joke.

The Thriller

Nationalism seems to run so afoul of real biblical Christianity as to be a parody of it. How in the ****ing hell can they say that they will force this on everyone while also loving their neighbor as themselves. Condemn everyone to hell, but forgive them for they know not what they do. The way Christianity has been bastardized and commercialized and every other -ized is just sickening in so many ways. Jesus would in no way recognize any of this as any kind of religion he espoused. I am sure he would liken this kind of thing far more to the money-lenders in the temple than the widow and her mite. Just disgusting how they use this all for political and financial gain, and for NO OTHER REASON. It is like we are heading into the crusades all over again. How long until the inquisition? What a joke, a blasphemous and sacrilegious joke.
I think we have to look at it through a different lens. Cuz you’re right, what these “Christians” want to do is antithetical to what most could consider to be mainstream Christian beliefs. There certainly are nutcakes who think the forcing everyone to be Christian to quicken the rapture would be good. But I don’t think most are into that.

The lens you have to look through are hierarchies. These folks sense the cultural and demographic ground shifting beneath their feet. They see black people demanding equality and white police being held to account, gay people parading around and feeling confident enough to come out of the closet, and Moooslem sounding names becoming president. So their fear isn’t so much that America is becoming unchristian and that’ll make the world less moral, it’s that their sense of power and structure is losing.

Deep down, they fear that they’ll be treated as minorities the same way they’ve treated minorities for decades.

Red

Americanized Christianity seems more like a disease than a meaningful and fulfilling faith to me. Talk about leading astray. It’s an illness. And it bears watching.

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
Americanized Christianity seems more like a disease than a meaningful and fulfilling faith to me. Talk about leading astray. It’s an illness. And it bears watching.
To be honest it is starting to take on divisions similar to Islam, imo. There is the majority view, that is a peaceful religion that brings a lot of people happiness, preaches doing good to your fellow man, and guides them as a moral compass. Then there is the small minority militant aspect where the religion is used as a weapon. Christianity in America is starting down a similar path. I think the majority of Christians in American are of the live and let live and love your fellow man variety, while there is a growing portion that is more militant and about using their influence to gain and maintain their power. That is why I threw out the rhetorical, how long until we see crusades and inquisitions? That is a frightening thought, tbh.

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner

Santorum:

The thing is the bible does have influence on US politics, if only because politicians cannot separate themselves from who the are and many of them believe in the Bible. It's where all the anti-abortion stuff is coming from. The anti-contraception stuff too, for some stupid ****ing reason. It's the foundation of the MAGA belief system, as in it's the best thing to hold up to show people you believe what they believe as part of your brainwashing program.

1659802104673.png

The Thriller

The thing is the bible does have influence on US politics, if only because politicians cannot separate themselves from who the are and many of them believe in the Bible. It's where all the anti-abortion stuff is coming from. The anti-contraception stuff too, for some stupid ****ing reason. It's the foundation of the MAGA belief system, as in it's the best thing to hold up to show people you believe what they believe as part of your brainwashing program.

View attachment 12854
Good pts.

So why is this happening now?

Demographic change?
Church leaders becoming desperate because the pews are emptying so they’re firing up the inflammatory rhetoric?
There’s a global authoritarian movement that seems to be overtaking western democracies?
People are bored without a secular communist to combat?

Like what is it?

And why are we blaming gays and abortion as solutions to problems with late stage capitalism? You could burn every gay person and abortion Dr at the town square and those coal mine and car manufacturing jobs aren’t coming back.