What's new

50 Reasons Not To Go To BYU

I reread my post and I don't know if it has a point. Writing on a phone, I lost my train of thought.

I'll go back to trolling now:

BYU sucks.

BYU and Utah have been pretty equal the last 20 years. Similar recruiting rankings, similar records, etc.

The past two years their difference has been has Schedule. You switch their schedules and their record switches.

Since Utah has joined the PAC-12, their recruiting ranks have jumped from the 50's to the 30's and they have still lost a lot of games. Since BYU has left the MWC, their recruiting ranks have dropped from the 50's to the 70's.

So, Utah's schedule has gotten harder, their recruits have gotten better and they have lost more.

This year will be big for BYU because their recruits have diminished in quality but their schedule is getting a lot tougher.

This is where your depth gets really tested. Big year for BYU. Win, and you can really do special things. Lose as an independent and you can quickly get forgotten, especially without having Utah on the schedule the next two years. What game do you get excited for? And not semi-excited, but really excited?

I'll make a confession here: I know Utah might only win 3-6 games this year. If Utah goes 3-9 and beats BYU, USU and WSU, I can live with that. I'd want Kyle's seat warm, but I'd want him to have a year with Erickson and a Jr QB. If Utah goes 3-9 and with loses to USU and BYU? I don't know if I bring Kyle back. All we've heard is how the recruits are better, the coaches are better, yet their program hasn't passed BYU yet and has regressed to where USU can consistently beat you.

3 wins does not equal 3 wins this year.

My point with the rambling is that Utah has games/rivalries that are fun to look forward to. If BYU is losing and can't play Utah, that could kill them.

This is a very good post, and while many BYU fans may not agree, I think it's spot on.

BYU fan has LOVED seeing Utah struggle in the Pac 12. Lost in all that happiness is the question: How would BYU be fairing had they snared the invite to join the Pac? Fact of the matter is, BYU would have found themselves in the exact same boat as Utah, maybe even a little worse.

Not talking trash here, but I think the numbers prove that over the past 20 years, Utah has become a better program than BYU's (but not by much). The head-to-head numbers easily favor Utah during that span. Plus, while playing in the same exact conference (ie, similar schedules), Utah reached the BCS twice. IMO this year is HUGE for BYU. In reality, it's really the first time that a schedule has been put together that BYU and it's fans talked about once they went Indy.

Now that they have that in front of them, do they come throught with 8 or 9 wins, or see themselves level off in the area of 5 to 7 wins?

This is a very good post, and while many BYU fans may not agree, I think it's spot on.

BYU fan has LOVED seeing Utah struggle in the Pac 12. Lost in all that happiness is the question: How would BYU be fairing had they snared the invite to join the Pac? Fact of the matter is, BYU would have found themselves in the exact same boat as Utah, maybe even a little worse.

Not talking trash here, but I think the numbers prove that over the past 20 years, Utah has become a better program than BYU's (but not by much). The head-to-head numbers easily favor Utah during that span. Plus, while playing in the same exact conference (ie, similar schedules), Utah reached the BCS twice. IMO this year is HUGE for BYU. In reality, it's really the first time that a schedule has been put together that BYU and it's fans talked about once they went Indy.

Now that they have that in front of them, do they come throught with 8 or 9 wins, or see themselves level off in the area of 5 to 7 wins?

I cant argue with any of that.... fair assessment.

I am very excited for this years schedule.