What's new

A bartender's story about Dante Exum's celebration after the draft

stitches

2023 Prediction Contest Winner
Here's the whole article:
https://jeffbenedict.com/index.php/blog/35-blog/384-tommy-flynn

And here's the part about Exum:

June 26, 2014. I arrived at work expecting an ordinary Thursday night – a busy happy hour and a handful of parties in one of our designated areas. But in the briefing – the meeting we hold before each shift – the manager pointed out that the NBA Draft was taking place in the city and we were hosting an after party sponsored by Red Bull for Donte Exum, the only Australian player entering the league.

All I knew about Exum was that he was an 18-year-old, 6’6” guard who could shoot the lights out. A few hours into the shift he was selected fifth overall by the Utah Jazz. I fully expected to see him arrive with an entourage of guys and provocatively dressed women. Boy, was I wrong. Exum showed up with his parents and extended family. The only women in his party were immediate family and relatives. His “entourage” consisted of children, including his 6-year old cousin, who stole the night by dancing and singing along to every song the DJ played.

Exum never touched alcohol, even though he was offered by a number of people. He was only interested in celebrating with his family in a friendly environment. I left stunned at how mature and impressive he was. He made a fan out of me. The Utah Jazz got a good kid.

At the very least it seems like we have a very down to earth responsible young man, who seems determined to succeed and is not swayed by temptations. Now that doesn't say **** about the level of his basketball and how good he can eventually get, but to me it says that he's responsible enough to never lose sight of the big picture and is probably going to work his butt off to make everything in his powers to excel with the Jazz. I really hope people would would be patient with him, because he doesn't seem ready right now, but the potential and the right attitude is there for him to become a star in the league in several years time.

He's a winner. Hopefully QS can harness the energy. Many times that's the one main difference between a superstar and a thug.

Perception, that is.

#pre-blamedatcoach

This is completely meaningless as it pertains to him as a basketball player and I'm not sold on Exum's long term potential. But with that said I love to read positive things about these young men who could easily go the other way.

Just pretend Exum isn't on the team this year. We have some skinny D-Leaguer backing up Burke. The. You won't get disappointed. This is his red shirt year.

I like when we get good people on the team, it makes me want to root for them even more. Exum is definitely on the list of players that I want to see leading us to a championship.

I'm pretty sure this wouldn't have made the news if this wasn't Utah but LA or smth instead.

Anyways, I'm happy that he is not a party-boy. That is very important for setting the mind straight to reach success. As a wise man once said, "A good athlete is a smart, agile; but also an honest athlete."

Just pretend Exum isn't on the team this year. We have some skinny D-Leaguer backing up Burke. The. You won't get disappointed. This is his red shirt year.
Good post

"All I knew about exum is that he is a 6'6 guard that can shoot the lights out"

Lol, I wish

I'm pretty sure this wouldn't have made the news if this wasn't Utah but LA or smth instead.
You think that this story being published as a side note in some obscure blog is equivalent to making the news in Utah? Hmm. Okay.

As far as I can tell this is just an unverified story from a single source. That said, I hope it's true. I would imagine that fans of other teams would also prefer to hear that their newly signed 18 year old future superstar (hopefully) had behaved this way instead of the alternative as well.

You think that this story being published as a side note in some obscure blog is equivalent to making the news in Utah? Hmm. Okay.

As far as I can tell this is just an unverified story from a single source. That said, I hope it's true. I would imagine that fans of other teams would also prefer to hear that their newly signed 18 year old future superstar (hopefully) had behaved this way instead of the alternative as well.

Of course no. I thought it was news. And I don't have a problem with something like that making the news to show Exum is good sports. I'm sure it wouldn't matter too much more than Utah in anywhere else is the only thing I said.

That's basically how I feel about this--it's nice, it doesn't really say much about how he's going to be as a player... but it's a heck of a lot better than some of the alternatives that we could be reading about.

Maybe, just maybe, he has a pistol.

And he shoots the bulps of the bar as he enters.

Hm?

Ever thought of that?
Good point. Makes sense now