What's new

A little Boler appreciation

“Toes it for three” = not a three.
“Long two” = it’s a three.
I would like us to start doing some tracking on the percentage the Jazz shoot when Boler says "looks good..." as the shot goes up. I swear it is close to zero... every time he says it I get pissed.

Also you would think Favs had made a career as a Lamarcus Aldridge type the way Boler talks about his 15 footer. He is genuinely shocked every time he misses it even though he's pretty meh from 15 feet.

Boler is either going to get bad but comically bad as he gets more confused or just plain old "turn off the volume" bad. I can't listen to Marv Albert games anymore... its just too cringy... and prime Marv was waaaaaay better than Boler.

Why can't we just take old recordings of Hot Rod and then put them on a sound board and have me push some buttons. Who would say no to that?

I would like us to start doing some tracking on the percentage the Jazz shoot when Boler says "looks good..." as the shot goes up. I swear it is close to zero... every time he says it I get pissed.

Also you would think Favs had made a career as a Lamarcus Aldridge type the way Boler talks about his 15 footer. He is genuinely shocked every time he misses it even though he's pretty meh from 15 feet.

Boler is either going to get bad but comically bad as he gets more confused or just plain old "turn off the volume" bad. I can't listen to Marv Albert games anymore... its just too cringy... and prime Marv was waaaaaay better than Boler.

Why can't we just take old recordings of Hot Rod and then put them on a sound board and have me push some buttons. Who would say no to that?
Soon there will be an AI that’s able to simulate Hot Rod’s voice in real time.

He just called Neto "Raul Lopez."
He also called Avdija something but I have no idea how to articulate it because it was real bad.

I think we need to start tracking Boler's confusability. I think he had at least 3 last night where he is going on about the foul and how a guy will shoot two and the whole time I'm like... nah its just out of bounds off someone.

He just called Neto "Raul Lopez."
While I agree that a lot of his basketball-related gaffes are pretty bad, I think mixing up some names here and there is a pretty understandable mistake. Also, he's not exactly alone at creative pronunciation of various foreign names. I do like it when announcers are a) in sync and b) consistent in their (mis)pronunciation, though (which I guess can't be said for Boler).

While I agree that a lot of his basketball-related gaffes are pretty bad, I think mixing up some names here and there is a pretty understandable mistake. Also, he's not exactly alone at creative pronunciation of various foreign names. I do like it when announcers are a) in sync and b) consistent in their (mis)pronunciation, though (which I guess can't be said for Boler).
You guess? Dude is a ****ing mess.

While I agree that a lot of his basketball-related gaffes are pretty bad, I think mixing up some names here and there is a pretty understandable mistake.

Raul Neto played for the Jazz for 4 years and was on the team less than 2 years ago. Raul Lopez played for the Jazz 15 years ago and was traded a few months before Boler started doing TV broadcasts of the Jazz.

If I can keep track of what players' names are and how they're pronounced, I don't think it's too much to ask that of someone who's getting paid six figures to do exactly that.

The recent Chicago game was pretty hilarious. He was about 50% in saying “Satoransky” and 50% in saying “Santoransky”. And he was emphasizing different syllables, too. Just a mess.

I'm fine with some pronunciation issues... its hard... but when it sounds like the first time he's ever seen or attempted the name it bugs me. You also would think they'd have one person there assigned to go over names of guys with the broadcast team so they don't sound like casuals. I mean its literally their job to talk about basketball. When I have business meetings with tough names to pronounce I always look it up or figure it out first thing on the call so I don't offend or sound like a goober.

One of the remarkable things about Boler is how NONE of David Locke’s work ethic, extra-curricular broadcast interests, or general geekiness has rubbed off. None. In over a decade. Shocking if you think about it.

Last edited:
Raul Neto played for the Jazz for 4 years and was on the team less than 2 years ago. Raul Lopez played for the Jazz 15 years ago and was traded a few months before Boler started doing TV broadcasts of the Jazz.

If I can keep track of what players' names are and how they're pronounced, I don't think it's too much to ask that of someone who's getting paid six figures to do exactly that.
I think he knew the difference and was able to keep track, he simply miss spoke.

Did you know that I occasionally call my wife and my daughter by the wrong name?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I think he knew the difference and was able to keep track, he simply miss spoke.

Did you know that I occasionally call my wife and my daughter by the wrong name?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app
We have good family friends that I grew up with that were like cousins and parents were like aunt and uncle. About 15 years ago one of their kids was getting remarried. The dad, in between the wedding and the reception, was telling us that he's on occasion accidentally called the new wife (we'll call her Michelle) by the name of the old wife (we'll call her Angela) and this has really bothered her and hurt her feelings. Anyway, fast forward to the reception and everyone's gathered around and the dad gets up to make an announcement to the whole reception and starts this off with "Chris and Angela are just really grateful that..." It was great. I think he hid from the party the rest of the night.

We have good family friends that I grew up with that were like cousins and parents were like aunt and uncle. About 15 years ago one of their kids was getting remarried. The dad, in between the wedding and the reception, was telling us that he's on occasion accidentally called the new wife (we'll call her Michelle) by the name of the old wife (we'll call her Angela) and this has really bothered her and hurt her feelings. Anyway, fast forward to the reception and everyone's gathered around and the dad gets up to make an announcement to the whole reception and starts this off with "Chris and Angela are just really grateful that..." It was great. I think he hid from the party the rest of the night.
If you think that is awkward... you should see how it gets when I call my wife by my girlfriends name. Come on its a simple mistake stop being sooooo petty.