What's new

Aaron Gordon = Kawhi Leonard

d@!!0n0rcutt

There may be some things Leonard does better than Gordon but basically the same player coming out of college. I will say it again if Aaron Gordon can hit the corner 3 40+% then he will be one of the top 3 players in this draft, if not the best player! There I said it, I think Aaron Gordon could be the best player in this draft, his work ethic and non stop motor on the court leads me to believe Aaron will develop a nice shot because Aaron will work for it, and heck he is only 18. Something also stood out to me in the Walt Perrin interview yesterday after workouts was that "most players coming into the league don't play any defense or don't know how to play defense correctly" which is why they have to be leaning toward standing pat and just letting Aaron Gordon just fall to them, because I won't even say if he develops a shot but when he does, Aaron Gordon will be the best player in this draft. The kid can still grow at 18 years old, I grew two inches on my mission from 19 to 21 years old. Aaron Gordon could end up being as tall as Durant, almost 7 feet tall. Here is the interview by Walt Perrin yesterday...

https://youtu.be/zG-Bs2YrGaI

IF he learns to shoot, IF he isn't a tweener, IF he grows a couple of more inches. If if and buts were candy and nuts every day would be Christmas.

How about Exum = Parker????

Then who would you take? Gordon = Kawhai? or Exum = Parker???

If you want to be even more positive and Spurs centric, Aaron Gordon = Kawhi Leonard + Boris Diaw.

Gordon has the chance of developing his playmaking skills ala Diaw.

IF he learns to shoot, IF he isn't a tweener, IF he grows a couple of more inches. If if and buts were candy and nuts every day would be Christmas.

Grows a couple inches? Dufuq? He's just under 6 9'. That's plenty tall for a SF. And I can't believe there are some that are questioning him being a 3 still. He has the athletic ability and handles to do great there. Can't think of any 3 he couldn't guard.

If you want to be even more positive and Spurs centric, Aaron Gordon = Kawhi Leonard + Boris Diaw.

Gordon has the chance of developing his playmaking skills ala Diaw.

I agree, athleticism like Leonard but length and handles of Diaw because Diaw was a point coming into the league, Aaron played point forward in high school, probably a lot of iso a lot of everyone clear out of the way and let Aaron go to work, lol.

Last edited:
How about Exum = Parker????

Then who would you take? Gordon = Kawhai? or Exum = Parker???

We already got Trey and I think Trey is still going to be better than a lot of people think. So I take Gordon because he might be able to guard all five positions if asked to, not at once but could guard 1-5 don't think you can say that about Exum, too many question marks around Exum, he scares me because I don't know who he is as a player.q

Aaron Gordon is basically Kawhi Leonard honestly.

Aaron Gordon is most comparable to Kawhi Leonard.

Both lockdown defenders.

Both weren't considered good shooters.

Kawhi shot 20% from three in college as a freshman, shoots 38% from three now.

Gordon does have 2 inches on him though.

Kawhi did get put into the perfect system, but who says the Jazz are the perfect system for Gordon?

There may be some things Leonard does better than Gordon but basically the same player coming out of college. I will say it again if Aaron Gordon can hit the corner 3 40+% then he will be one of the top 3 players in this draft, if not the best player! There I said it, I think Aaron Gordon could be the best player in this draft, his work ethic and non stop motor on the court leads me to believe Aaron will develop a nice shot because Aaron will work for it, and heck he is only 18. Something also stood out to me in the Walt Perrin interview yesterday after workouts was that "most players coming into the league don't play any defense or don't know how to play defense correctly" which is why they have to be leaning toward standing pat and just letting Aaron Gordon just fall to them, because I won't even say if he develops a shot but when he does, Aaron Gordon will be the best player in this draft. The kid can still grow at 18 years old, I grew two inches on my mission from 19 to 21 years old. Aaron Gordon could end up being as tall as Durant, almost 7 feet tall. Here is the interview by Walt Perrin yesterday...

This goes more in depth, nice work.

I love the crazy athleticism and intangibles that Gordon possesses...but for once, I'd kinda like to have a SF that can actually shoot the ball. When was the last time we had one of those? Bryon Russell?

I love the crazy athleticism and intangibles that Gordon possesses...but for once, I'd kinda like to have a SF that can actually shoot the ball. When was the last time we had one of those? Bryon Russell?

Bryon Russell sucked rocks when he first came into the NBA. I remember wanting to cut him like he was Quincy Lewis multiple times as a rookie. The difference for him is when he started being able to hit the three ball. At that point he became useful because he had an identity on the team. Seriously, if and when Gordon get a three point shot, he will be the steal of the draft at 5. Much of Gordon's problem is that he tries to be all things to all people rather than someone telling him to settle down, play tight perimeter defense and play weak side offense as a third or fourth option if the primary pick and roll is stuffed. Limit his game to that for a few months and he will grow by leaps and bounds and I think you will see the ability to hit the 3 as well as improve his free throw shooting.

I get that this is a complimentary comparison but not quit accurate IMO. Gordon has better handles and court vision. Gordon is more athletic. Leonard had a slightly more diverse offensive game coming out of college, but Gordon had a higher complete rate at the rim (highest in college basketball). Gordon was
MVP of USA team. I'll give the alpha attitude to Leonard, never would have saw Gordon give the choke sign to Jimmer. I like a bit of an edge, that's my only concern with Gordon.

To me Gordon as a rookie equals Pippen as a rookie. No mid range game outside of long scoop shots (which they both shoot the same way). Both tenacious defenders who are equally good being individual and team defenders. Both incredibly athletic, probably equally so.

Gordon > rookie Leonard

Bryon Russell sucked rocks when he first came into the NBA. I remember wanting to cut him like he was Quincy Lewis multiple times as a rookie. The difference for him is when he started being able to hit the three ball. At that point he became useful because he had an identity on the team. Seriously, if and when Gordon get a three point shot, he will be the steal of the draft at 5. Much of Gordon's problem is that he tries to be all things to all people rather than someone telling him to settle down, play tight perimeter defense and play weak side offense as a third or fourth option if the primary pick and roll is stuffed. Limit his game to that for a few months and he will grow by leaps and bounds and I think you will see the ability to hit the 3 as well as improve his free throw shooting.

I remember reading a story about how Sloan was ready to cut Russell and then another player got hurt and BR got an opportunity to play and responded well. The rest is history.