What's new

Aaron Gordon = Kawhi Leonard

a SF that can actually shoot the ball. When was the last time we had one of those? Bryon Russell?

last year. jefferson was one of the top 3 point shooters in the league.

sometimes shooting can be a little over rated if its all you can do

Bryon Russell sucked rocks when he first came into the NBA. I remember wanting to cut him like he was Quincy Lewis multiple times as a rookie. The difference for him is when he started being able to hit the three ball. At that point he became useful because he had an identity on the team. Seriously, if and when Gordon get a three point shot, he will be the steal of the draft at 5. Much of Gordon's problem is that he tries to be all things to all people rather than someone telling him to settle down, play tight perimeter defense and play weak side offense as a third or fourth option if the primary pick and roll is stuffed. Limit his game to that for a few months and he will grow by leaps and bounds and I think you will see the ability to hit the 3 as well as improve his free throw shooting.
would be nice if gordon continues to struggle with his shot throughout his rookie deal and then right after signing his next deal for cheap, his shot comes around.... right when the rest of the team are fully developed and in thier primes

Grows a couple inches? Dufuq? He's just under 6 9'. That's plenty tall for a SF. And I can't believe there are some that are questioning him being a 3 still. He has the athletic ability and handles to do great there. Can't think of any 3 he couldn't guard.

I think the position one plays (or can play) has more to do with who you can guard (besides maybe the PG slot, even then). AG will have NO problem guarding 3s in this league, in fact, i think it will be his best defensive position (strength might be an issue guarding the really big 4s, though athelticism may make up for that).

I see AG as a 3, who will play spot minutes at the 4.

Bryon Russell sucked rocks when he first came into the NBA. I remember wanting to cut him like he was Quincy Lewis multiple times as a rookie. The difference for him is when he started being able to hit the three ball. At that point he became useful because he had an identity on the team. Seriously, if and when Gordon get a three point shot, he will be the steal of the draft at 5. Much of Gordon's problem is that he tries to be all things to all people rather than someone telling him to settle down, play tight perimeter defense and play weak side offense as a third or fourth option if the primary pick and roll is stuffed. Limit his game to that for a few months and he will grow by leaps and bounds and I think you will see the ability to hit the 3 as well as improve his free throw shooting.

I loved Russell as a rookie, and yes he was very useful. He got minutes as a rookie becaues of his solid defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why is it everyone begins their rave about Gordon with "if he learns to shoot" or "if and when Gordon gets a three point shot"? Those are pretty big ifs. What if he doesn't find his shot? His defense is great, but how does he stay on the floor if he can't shoot or hit a free throw. Can we be a contender with a wing who doesn't space the floor? It's a tough call because he's pretty appealing otherwise. And LOL at people who would rather have Leonard than Parker.

Last edited:
Why is it everyone begins their rave about Gordon with "if he learns to shoot" or "if and when Gordon gets a three point shot"? Those a pretty big ifs. What if he doesn't find his shot? His defense is great, but how does he stay on the floor if he can't shoot or hit a free throw. Can we be a contender with a wing who doesn't space the floor? It's a tough call because he's pretty appealing otherwise. And LOL at people who would rather have Leonard than Parker.

I actually didn't mean to like this post.

But it is a good question. Why does everyone begin their rave about Gordon with if he learns to shoot? His shot isn't broke. He is super young. He can learn. Just because some of you have learning disabilities, doesn't mean Gordon does. Boom!

Also, you can just take him out of the game if the team enters the bonus. Play him to start quarters and he will help us get into the bonus early because teams will foul him a lot. Take him out once we get in (if it's an issue and the opposing team fouls). Not every team in the league fouls bad FT shooters constantly.

Also, you can just take him out of the game if the team enters the bonus. Play him to start quarters and he will help us get into the bonus early because teams will foul him a lot. Take him out once we get in (if it's an issue and the opposing team fouls). Not every team in the league fouls bad FT shooters constantly.
Really? You want to play him situationally? My bad, I thought we were trying to draft a starter who could potentially become an all-star.

If there is one thing the playoffs show us year after year it's the importance of having a wing defender in the NBA to defend guys like PG, KD, LJ, Beal, Harden,etc. I'm not high on AG, but because he should be able, at the very least, to come in and play that role, I'd be fine with him at 5 - especially over Exum.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Tony Allen only plays 20 minutes a game and can hit free throws. Would you draft him with the 5th pick in this draft?
you asked how he will be able to get on the court as a bad shooter.
my answer: by playing great defense.

tony allen is also older now. there were years in his prime when he offered nothing offensively and played great defense and played big time minutes on a contending team.

also gordon will be better than tony allen

I actually didn't mean to like this post.

But it is a good question. Why does everyone begin their rave about Gordon with if he learns to shoot? His shot isn't broke. He is super young. He can learn. Just because some of you have learning disabilities, doesn't mean Gordon does. Boom!

Maybe it's not broke but it doesn't go in very much. And FWIW I believe FT% is an indicator of a player's potential for shooting. The fact he's young doesn't mean much. It's about hand eye coordination and fluidity of the shooting motion. It isn't that I don't like him, I just think it's funny that all the Gordon homers have convinced themselves that because he's young and works hard he will learn to shoot.

you asked how he will be able to get on the court as a bad shooter.
my answer: by playing great defense.

tony allen is also older now. there were years in his prime when he offered nothing offensively and played great defense and played big time minutes on a contending team.

also gordon will be better than tony allen

In addition to defense, he'll rebound, run the floor, finish, etc.
Gordon is pobably the most bust-proof guy among the top 8.

Maybe it's not broke but it doesn't go in very much. And FWIW I believe FT% is an indicator of a player's potential for shooting. The fact he's young doesn't mean much. It's about hand eye coordination and fluidity of the shooting motion. It isn't that I don't like him, I just think it's funny that all the Gordon homers have convinced themselves that because he's young and works hard he will learn to shoot.

There are a number of poor free throw shooters who became very good shooters. The first that comes to mind is Karl Malone.

But the fact that Gordon made a fair percentage of 3 pt shots puts him out of the Biedrins group.

Also Bruce Bowen was a very poor Free Throw Shooter but an excellent 3 pt shooter.

Subjectively his shooting motion appears to be fluid to me.

In addition to defense, he'll rebound, run the floor, finish, etc.
Gordon is pobably the most bust-proof guy among the top 8.

I agree. I like everything else he brings. I just think if you draft him you have to base it on the skills you know he has. You can't factor in that you think he will learn to shoot at some point. This draft is a GM's nightmare. There are 5 or 6 guys grouped together that could all turn into great players. It's one of those drafts where two years from now everyone could be asking "why the hell didn't we draft that guy". Glad it's not my job.

There may be some things Leonard does better than Gordon but basically the same player coming out of college. I will say it again if Aaron Gordon can hit the corner 3 40+% then he will be one of the top 3 players in this draft, if not the best player! There I said it, I think Aaron Gordon could be the best player in this draft, his work ethic and non stop motor on the court leads me to believe Aaron will develop a nice shot because Aaron will work for it, and heck he is only 18. Something also stood out to me in the Walt Perrin interview yesterday after workouts was that "most players coming into the league don't play any defense or don't know how to play defense correctly" which is why they have to be leaning toward standing pat and just letting Aaron Gordon just fall to them, because I won't even say if he develops a shot but when he does, Aaron Gordon will be the best player in this draft. The kid can still grow at 18 years old, I grew two inches on my mission from 19 to 21 years old. Aaron Gordon could end up being as tall as Durant, almost 7 feet tall. Here is the interview by Walt Perrin yesterday...

https://youtu.be/zG-Bs2YrGaI

He can hit shots.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj4OFtvFcYY

If there is one thing the playoffs show us year after year it's the importance of having a wing defender in the NBA to defend guys like PG, KD, LJ, Beal, Harden,etc. I'm not high on AG, but because he should be able, at the very least, to come in and play that role, I'd be fine with him at 5 - especially over Exum.

Yeah since we all know the team with the best wing defense has won the title every year for the last zero years in a row ever.

The only thing the playoffs continually teach us is that you need to have one of the best players in the league and a good cast surrounding them. Kobe. Dirk, durant, lebron have been in the finals or won titles recently, and they were among the best in the league, coupled with good coaching and on a decent, if not great team around them.

We are drafting in this draft for a top tier player, not some guy who we can trot out as our one sided "answer" to lebron or Durant. We need a Durant or a lebron or even a Paul pierce. If Aaron gordon is going to be a one dimensional stopper playing spot minutes, then why the hell not just pick up a similar player later in the draft? It would certainly cost less.

Clean tony early is a good candidate later in the draft if we are looking for a 3 and D guy this year. Would rather have him if that is all Aaron gordon is going to be.

I don't hate gordon, I am just not sold on his potential to be Scottie pippen or Shawn Marion like the rest in this thread.