What's new

About Active Posters...

This board has had some good windows of time since the crash back in 2010, but it has never really recovered from that. I'd expect some slow melt off of activity and quality through the jazz's rebuilding years, but I think the crash provided some extra impetus for parts of the old stable core to break away.

That said, the old site had just as many acrimonious squabbles as today, there was just so many other styles of conversation/posting as well. A few years ago I wrote about the three main "dark angels" of JFC. I won't mention those names again, but I think I was onto something at the time.

I think we'll see a surge of new activity this year when the jazz are good again. There'll be plenty of people run off (and it'll be interesting to see who's doing the chasing), but there'll be plenty of people who stick around, too.

How are my platitudes this morning?

Kimberley_Nixon__ending_Fresh_Meat_was_like_leaving_uni__giving_birth_and_getting_married_all_at_the_same_time.jpg

I doubt any of you plebs will get the reference but you should definitely watch the series.

I agree with everything being said here. I use to get a kick out of the pessimism, arrogance and hostility this board tends to cultivate and play along but I'm too old and tired for that negativity in my life nowadays. I still remember going to the NBA Reddit boards for the first time after being a exclusive jfc member for an eternity and not experiencing all of the above. People were actually positive about the team, took losses lightly and just had fun. It was literally a shock to my system and a breath of fresh air to jazz community I was so accustomed to tbh. I'm back partially and really appreciate the more positive atmosphere some members try their best to harbor and I really appreciate it and makes this place still worth coming too.

I agree with everything being said here. I use to get a kick out of the pessimism, arrogance and hostility this board tends to cultivate and play along but I'm too old and tired for that negativity in my life nowadays. I still remember going to the NBA Reddit boards for the first time after being a exclusive jfc member for an eternity and not experiencing all of the above. People were actually positive about the team, took losses lightly and just had fun. It was literally a shock to my system and a breath of fresh air to jazz community I was so accustomed to tbh. I'm back partially and really appreciate the more positive atmosphere some members try their best to harbor and I really appreciate it and makes this place still worth coming too.

Loser mentality, tbpfhwy.

**** off.

JK. Seriously though, your sentiment early on here is exactly how I've felt over the last month or two on this board. I'm obviously no angel but in addition to my douchiness at times, I at least offer some light-hearted jokes, or insights, or general comments here or there, or start fundraisers for fish. A couple of other posters here are in permanent douche mode though (or so it seems) and it's just toxic and unbecoming and too much for even me. Don't worry, I'll still Gyp it up now and then, but in general, I'm starting to just lurk a little more and post a lot less.

**** off.

JK. Seriously though, your sentiment early on here is exactly how I've felt over the last month or two on this board. I'm obviously no angel but in addition to my douchiness at times, I at least offer some light-hearted jokes, or insights, or general comments here or there, or start fundraisers for fish. A couple of other posters here are in permanent douche mode though (or so it seems) and it's just toxic and unbecoming and too much for even me. Don't worry, I'll still Gyp it up now and then, but in general, I'm starting to just lurk a little more and post a lot less.

You've always been one of my favorite posters btw. If you show any douchiness, I think pretty much everyone knows it's tongue-in-cheek, and shouldn't be taken serious. It's how I try to operate as well, but in the past I probably pushed it too far at times.

Another thought, when I first joined jazzfanz the clicky nature of the oldest members made it extremely difficult to feel a part of the board (sir kickyass, pearl, vinylone, OSR, etc, just being honest). They weren't trolly per se but you definitely felt a vibe that they were the cool kids and you didn't understand their humor and were definitely not on their level in some way. Could of just been my insecurity as a new poster and age at the time but I have a hunch that is how a lot of others felt as well. I still wanted to be a part of the board in some way so I decided to just roam around and make an *** of myself and try to be funny to entertain myself and maybe a few others. Old news and doesn't mean much, but it's how I felt at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
You've always been one of my favorite posters btw. If you show any douchiness, I think pretty much everyone knows it's tongue-in-cheek, and shouldn't be taken serious. It's how I try to operate as well, but in the past I probably pushed it too far at times.

Another thought, when I first joined jazzfanz the clicky nature of the oldest members made it extremely difficult to feel a part of the board (sir kickyass, pearl, vinylone, OSR, etc, just being honest). They weren't trolly per se but you definitely felt a vibe that they were the cool kids and you didn't understand their humor and were definitely not on their level in some way. Could of just been my insecurity as a new poster and age at the time but I have a hunch that is how a lot of others felt as well. I still wanted to be a part of the board in some way so I decided to just roam around and make an *** of myself and try to be funny to entertain myself and maybe a few others. Old news and doesn't mean much, but it's how I felt at the time.

Yep. No doubt. GVC, YB (love that dude), UB, a few others too, were all part of that group. I've been here since year 2 of Deron so it's been a while, and that group definitely steered that board then, as they had all been around a while previous to then. And for the better. That was a really solid core. Now? I don't know. Maybe I just want everyone to get off my lawn and it's me.

For me, it's the Twitter effect because posts are so short. The app and the ability to post from a phone has hurt the quality of message boards, for the most part. "Back in the old days", posts were written on a desktop or laptop and the post was often long and structured. Ain't nobody got time for that now. Posts are short because nobody wants to type a long message on a phone and nobody wants to read a long message on a phone. Why go to a message board when I can see the same thing on Twitter?

TL/DR: TL/DR

You type on your phone? Use the speech recognition software. It's pretty damn good. I only use my fingers to send text on my phone if I absolutely have to.

I visit, of an on, about a dozen message boards. Sadly this is one of the most vitriolic and trollerish poster bases of all the boards I frequent. This includes 2 other Jazz/NBA boards and a few hobby boards as well as a couple news boards. In my experience we have a disproportionate number of people who get off on trolling other posters and it definitely influences posters. All in the infantile attitude of "suck it up and be a man" when people here speak out against it. It is sad.

Funny. I've posted on quite a few boards over the years. I've found this one to be the most strict, least trolling board I post on. People here are pretty tame, compared to most other places imo. You just don't like that you aren't as popular as you used to be.

I think there are a good number of posters who don't post much for substance, but I don't see how people can say there isn't a lot of substance here. There is a lot of good basketball information here. I think if you look at the Teague/Hill discussion, that was excellent talk. I will agree that there is too much vitriol, of which I'm guilty. Would be nice to see an influx of posters.

I do think the rather archaic rule of 10 posts needing moderation before posting is hurting. It's not going to stop anybody here to troll. Change it to 1 or 2 and you've stopped the spam bots.

remember Jamezz? Does anybody care that he got run off? Sometimes it's good when an online community expels some of it's crap.
Yes, I remember Jamezz. He was at my house a couple weeks ago. He's a good guy. He was a good poster.

I'll see him this weekend.

Funny. I've posted on quite a few boards over the years. I've found this one to be the most strict, least trolling board I post on. People here are pretty tame, compared to most other places imo. You just don't like that you aren't as popular as you used to be.

That's funny to me. I used to post on a poker related website and I'd say it was similar to this site in how it dealt with people.

But I also post on a homebrew website and they are far, far more strict.

I've also posted in a vaporizer forum (f word) ****combustion.com and that one is by far the most strict. BY FAR.

Funny how life is.

I do think the rather archaic rule of 10 posts needing moderation before posting is hurting. It's not going to stop anybody here to troll. Change it to 1 or 2 and you've stopped the spam bots.

It's not 10... it's based on time after we approve at least 1 :)

My two cents here... I agree. But what we are talking about here happens all the time in cycles, in my experience. People have mentioned that the heavy contributors seem to overwhelm the newer folks and that, honestly, does prevent people from getting involved. We consistently have something like 5X more "guests" on here at any given time and I'm sure a handful of those would register and contribute but are likely intimidated. Inside jokes or just complete clique perception is real and detracts in some capacity, I'm sure. But I understand it and it makes people enjoy interacting with others on here too. People can be... dicks! For a new person to really get going, it takes patience from the whole and a welcoming environment. Just look at the names that post both before and after the topics go off the main point. There are always a few people behind it when it does happen and then those less active contributors disappear from the thread. They want to talk Jazz or the topic involved and not be attacked or feel like they'd be attacked - perhaps. It is what a message board is in 2016 I guess. Ever been to reddit, twitter, or any other place where people post under handles? It can get ugly. Look at Twitter - anonymous handles on there and a TON-O-TROLLS. There's likely a good reason they can't get acquired.

So back to my philosophy... there's only so much I feel we can do to maintain a welcoming environment but also keep the faithful coming back. We are strict I suppose in some capacity but many of the trolls that I'm sure many would like banned, we let go through their cycles. I don't know if that's right or wrong... it is just what we've done.

This is also why I'm exploring the reputation system again in this forum. I'd like to quiet the people that detract from the experience and promote better behavior. I'd be happy to re-open that topic on rep and see if it helps solve the issues being discussed here but look at the thread. It too went off the rails! Yes, its funny and entertaining but can be frustrating - and that one wasn't even bad. There has to be a balance and I don't know if such a thing exists.

My two cents turned into a buck-fiddy, sorry.

My two cents here... I agree. But what we are talking about here happens all the time in cycles, in my experience. People have mentioned that the heavy contributors seem to overwhelm the newer folks and that, honestly, does prevent people from getting involved. We consistently have something like 5X more "guests" on here at any given time and I'm sure a handful of those would register and contribute but are likely intimidated. Inside jokes or just complete clique perception is real and detracts in some capacity, I'm sure. But I understand it and it makes people enjoy interacting with others on here too. People can be... dicks! For a new person to really get going, it takes patience from the whole and a welcoming environment. Just look at the names that post both before and after the topics go off the main point. There are always a few people behind it when it does happen and then those less active contributors disappear from the thread. They want to talk Jazz or the topic involved and not be attacked or feel like they'd be attacked - perhaps. It is what a message board is in 2016 I guess. Ever been to reddit, twitter, or any other place where people post under handles? It can get ugly. Look at Twitter - anonymous handles on there and a TON-O-TROLLS. There's likely a good reason they can't get acquired.

So back to my philosophy... there's only so much I feel we can do to maintain a welcoming environment but also keep the faithful coming back. We are strict I suppose in some capacity but many of the trolls that I'm sure many would like banned, we let go through their cycles. I don't know if that's right or wrong... it is just what we've done.

This is also why I'm exploring the reputation system again in this forum. I'd like to quiet the people that detract from the experience and promote better behavior. I'd be happy to re-open that topic on rep and see if it helps solve the issues being discussed here but look at the thread. It too went off the rails! Yes, its funny and entertaining but can be frustrating - and that one wasn't even bad. There has to be a balance and I don't know if such a thing exists.

My two cents turned into a buck-fiddy, sorry.

As far as rep I had an idea. Remove max rep power but with a caveat. A user with more rep power will have the full influence of that when distributing pos rep but when they neg someone they will subtract from that user only what that users rep power is +10.

So if I negged a new user with 1 rep power I would decrease their rep points by 11 but if I pos reped that user I would increase their rep points by 100.

As far as rep I had an idea. Remove max rep power but with a caveat. A user with more rep power will have the full influence of that when distributing pos rep but when they neg someone they will subtract from that user only what that users rep power is +10.

So if I negged a new user with 1 rep power I would decrease their rep points by 11 but if I pos reped that user I would increase their rep points by 100.

That's a good suggestion.
And as contrived as it may be, I liked my thought about getting rewarded (however, don't care) for posrepping newcomers.

We need to let new users know that JFC is very similar to Jumanji. Careful to roll the dice, and when you do, total chaos... but ADVENTURE. And relationships formed because of it. Scary at first.. but a grand ride.