What's new

Alec Burks not following the Quin Synder system

Burks did go 1 on 3 at least two times times, and it didn't end well. He simply has to pick his spots better. No reason to exaggerate it and say "he can't play in the system".

I think that's probably the best way to interpret this. I did notice a few "bad" decisions by his part, but it's the first preseason game...

Misison Accomplished, I openly challenge you to post a thread about something directly Jazz related that is positive. No negativity, no backhanded slights...

Burks did go 1 on 3 at least two times times, and it didn't end well. He simply has to pick his spots better. No reason to exaggerate it and say "he can't play in the system".

He was 4-10 shooting and shot 7 FTs.

So basically that's 1 "and 1" & 3 other times getting to the line. So he shot FTs on 50% of his missed shots.(i know I'm making an assumption here)

for comparison

Kanter, Hayward, and Burke also each went 4-10 but only shot 7 FTs Combined(2,2,3).

I did see Burks was getting to the line which is great. But, if he was going rouge and there isn't wrinkles for players like him to be dynamic then I fear we are just going to be a jump shooting team. They keep talking on the radio about the open space that Gordon has to be able to use. Well, Gordon isn't the most dynamic creator on the team. We seemed to shoot a lot of jumpers in that first preseason game. That is one of the things that in the past has bothered me about our team is that when the offense fails we shoot jumpers instead of attacking the basket.

As for the bigs getting the ball on the perimeter I don't see how it spaces the floor because no one besides Novak and Kanter can even hit a shot outside of the key. Why would you even send a big out there to defend. I would double the big man as soon as he touched the ball. Forcing him to make a mistake which should be easy. I do understand that there is a need to clear out the paint. But, in the NBA you can play a zone defense which would also render this wrinkle in the offense useless.

Misison Accomplished, I openly challenge you to post a thread about something directly Jazz related that is positive. No negativity, no backhanded slights...

I will accept your challenge even if I do not feel that it is why you go to a discussion board. We are here to talk about the team. No one would be on here without the passion.

He was 4-10 shooting

One of the misses was a left handed layup that he makes 90% of the time.

One was a 5 foot wide open floater in the lane that was the right decision... it just went a little long.

One was when kanter went 1 against 2 on a fast break and missed his layup and Burks came flying in for the offensive rebound put back dunk attempt.... He mishandled the rebound though.

And I remember a contested long two attempt.

So most of his misses were not bad shots imo

Edit: I remember one other miss...... he went baseline into traffic and was hacked pretty hard (ball almost went in still, just rolled off the rim) but the refs swallowed thier whistles.

David Locke's podcast this morning he referred a lot to this subject. I sounds like if we are going to hold this system to such a ridged standard that Burks is not going to be a good fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av5ougw_TyY

I will accept your challenge even if I do not feel that it is why you go to a discussion board. We are here to talk about the team. No one would be on here without the passion.

Passion is not synonymous with negativity. Yes it can come across that way sometimes but with you it is always. Helping you break that trend.

I tried a whole Locke video blog once. But somehow his voice is so annoying. I can't take it.

Snyder's punishment for not following his system is interesting. Perhaps some sort of weird reverse psychology. You go rogue (thanks, Randy Rigby!), you pay for it by playing the most minutes on the team.

Snyder's thoughts are not our thoughts, neither are his ways our ways.

Now I had heard this talked about twice by Locke and Rigby. Also, talking about go and catch this scares me because it feels like old school basketball that you would run with a team of non athletes. These are very talented athletic young players that might lose some of their strengths if we are too busy pushing a system down on them. I think this is a tricky tight rope that Quin is going to have to walk.

Now I had heard this talked about twice by Locke and Rigby. Also, talking about go and catch this scares me because it feels like old school basketball that you would run with a team of non athletes. These are very talented athletic young players that might lose some of their strengths if we are too busy pushing a system down on them. I think this is a tricky tight rope that Quin is going to have to walk.

keep in mind, the one person you haven't heard it from and the only one that matters is Quin Snyder, the same guy who played Burks more than anyone else in the game these guys are referring to.

When you are trying to teach a system it is VERY important that the players adhere to it letter by letter initially. There are times when it would be easier and advised to not use the system to score or defend, but that time wouldn't be in the preseason. If Burks breaks off the play to create for himself, that ruins the possession for training purposes for the 4 other players on the court. It is like a couch demanding that players make at least 3 passes before a shot is taken. It is pointless strategy wise, but very helpful developmental wise. Once the players become more comfortable in the system, they can make tweaks on the fly. That could be the reason why Burks is being chided.

When you are trying to teach a system it is VERY important that the players adhere to it letter by letter initially. There are times when it would be easier and advised to not use the system to score or defend, but that time wouldn't be in the preseason. If Burks breaks off the play to create for himself, that ruins the possession for training purposes for the 4 other players on the court. It is like a couch demanding that players make at least 3 passes before a shot is taken. It is pointless strategy wise, but very helpful developmental wise. Once the players become more comfortable in the system, they can make tweaks on the fly. That could be the reason why Burks is being chided.

rofl

Is Burks being chided by anybody who matters? i.e, Quin Snyder? Oh wait, of course he is. Snyder was so pissed tonight with Burks that after playing him the most minutes on Tuesday, he came back and played him even more minutes - most on the team - again tonight.

Don't piss off Quin Snyder.

Only one TO tonight for Burks

An entire thread devoted to completely false premise. Perhaps this is one of those things that if you say it enough people will just start to believe it.

An entire thread devoted to completely false premise. Perhaps this is one of those things that if you say it enough people will just start to believe it.

False premise?

Playing within a structured offense has always been a ? for Burks. I agree with a lot of people that Quin's system should help Burks, but it will probably take him a little bit longer than anyone else to fully grasp how to play within it in a way that helps the improve everyone else on the court.

Pretty sure Rigby wasn't calling for Burks head or anything just because he has trouble staying within a brand new offense, he was just making an observation.