What's new

Alex Caruso

Being in LA and having a regrettable number of friends who are Lakers fans, I've watched a fair amount of Caruso lately. I think it's pretty clear that the game is slowing down for him. I really like how he has his head up and finds his own rhythm.

Every time I have watched him, including summer league last year, he has stood out. He's confident and seems like a pretty intelligent player... or maybe he has good instincts. High steal rate and the guy plays his *** off. Love guys that are on the NBA fringe and fight their way to a spot. Seems to run the team pretty well. Then he makes an explosive play or two that make you think there is something more there.

I'm comfortable saying I think he's a solid NBA backup... and think there might be more there in the right system with the right development staff. Good bargain option for us I think.

I wonder if he’s really that good or if he just plays for a crappy lakers team. I don’t think he’s started material IMO of course.

He makes me short circuit. Basically, my brain is like, "yeah, he's starter material" while still processing he's Alex Caruso.

He makes me short circuit. Basically, my brain is like, "yeah, he's starter material" while still processing he's Alex Caruso.
I don't think he's starter material (at least not in the West). I do think he's a good back-up; and since our guard depth is basically gutted, there's definitely a spot for him here. I think he'd fit within our system, too.

I don't think he's starter material (at least not in the West). I do think he's a good back-up; and since our guard depth is basically gutted, there's definitely a spot for him here. I think he'd fit within our system, too.

I'm not sold on him being a starter, but I'm also not sold on him never being a starter. He's playing very well and if he continues his play or improve, he might make you short circuit too.

Grayson Allen is doing something similar to what Caruso is doing. Caruso is in his second year as well.

Last edited:
Caruso looks like a dude who sold his youth of 20 years, just so he could play in the damn league. As a matter of fact, he probably really did at the crossroad.

Can't really tell the difference between him, Grayson and Pat Connaughton. All end of bench/rotation materials. Nothing more

If Ricky is gone, what about a Beverley/Caruso combo? Of course, I’m anticipating Kevin Love, so I anticipate a Ricky re-signing, but either of their two guys.

Somebody pimp up the Australian Kobe hype. Wasn’t he rumored to want to be drafted by the Lakers? What’s Rich Paul’s cell? After they fail another attempt at AD, we’ll be waiting in the wings with their consolation prize.

If we signed Beverley and Caruso I would be ecstatic. I'm a Beverley homer. Caruso would simply be some insurance. Neto can stay as the third PG for peanuts. Gosh, the things Beverley could teach Mitchell and Allen on the defensive side of the ball would be worth the price of the contract alone.

If we signed Beverley and Caruso I would be ecstatic. I'm a Beverley homer. Caruso would simply be some insurance. Neto can stay as the third PG for peanuts. Gosh, the things Beverley could teach Mitchell and Allen on the defensive side of the ball would be worth the price of the contract alone.
We could land Beverley if we operate above the cap.

We could land Beverley if we operate above the cap.

I would love for it to happen. Beverley is everything we hoped Hill would be minus the constant injuries and meh attitude. Plus Beverley crushes Hill on defense.

No matter what happens, next season I believe we're going to be even better.

I would love for it to happen. Beverley is everything we hoped Hill would be minus the constant injuries and meh attitude. Plus Beverley crushes Hill on defense.

No matter what happens, next season I believe we're going to be even better.
I know people are probably getting sick of me talking about Kevin Love, but I think a first round exit in 6 or less games increases that likelihood (mostly because I don't see any of the top free agents this year wanting to come here, leading us to have to look to trade). If Love comes in, then we operate above the cap. I think they'd be more likely to bring back Rubio in that scenario. We could use part of the MLE to land Beverley, and having Beverley on the bench and getting 24-26 minutes per game, plus having Love in the starting lineup, really makes the whole Ricky thing workable. I'd also be fine with Beverley and Caruso.

Meh... He's putting up big numbers in a situation where someone had too because his team has been sitting all of their starters. And he's putting up these numbers at the end of the year when some teams aren't necessarily giving their all. I do like him to a certain extent but I feel like all of the hype right now is overreaction.

He's an energy pg off of a bench. We already have one of those, Neto. And I like Neto more.

Bump - In another life we don't do the Conley trade and snag this guy with the room exception instead. His numbers are okay... its the energy and defensive impact... plus he's fun as hell.
Actually, I've been hoping against hope that the Lakers sign Waiters and waive Caruso. Ain't gonna happen though, Vogel talks about how good he is in news conferences now.

Actually, I've been hoping against hope that the Lakers sign Waiters and waive Caruso. Ain't gonna happen though, Vogel talks about how good he is in news conferences now.
They signed him for less than what Quinn Cook got... room exception offer would screw up their cap plans and they had to wait out Kawhi... we would have been able to steal him and he would have fit so nicely.