Isiah Thomas / Chauncey Billups
Clyde Drexler / Tracy McGrady / Rip Hamilton
Paul Pierce / Ron Artest
Dirk Nowitzki / Kevin McHale
Shaquille O'Neal / Amar'e Stoudemire / Marc Gasol

QuinSnydersHair write-up

Russell Westbrook
westjam_medium.gif

Isaiah would have zero shot at guarding Westbrook. He would either give up 35 points, foul him 10 times, or have to let Drexler guard him. Once that happens, Ray Allen at 6’6” would destroy Isaiah.

Ray Allen
rayallen3.gif

The greatest three-pointer shooter in the history of the game, you can’t leave him open. He’s the assassin for my team. People forget just athletic and great overall Allen was earlier in his career.

James Worthy
james-worthy-torches-bird-o.gif

Worthy torching Bird. See, there were athletic wings back in the 80’s. Worthy is my glue guy, yet can score 25 a game if needed. He will do everything and like Ray-Ray, when times get tough, he’ll hit big shots. There was a reason he was an NBA Finals MVP and called Big Game James.

Bill Walton
623b0a5e.gif

Walton posterizing Kareem…and then…
WaltonPostPass.gif

With a sick pass...
There is a reason many people talk about him in the same breath as they do Wilt, Russell and Kareem. He was the greatest all-around center ever as far as scoring, rebounding, passing, hustling, and defense goes. To put it into perspective, longtime Boston Globe writer Bob Ryan said that if aliens attacked Earth and our only chance at survival was a 5-on-5 basketball game vs them, he would choose Magic, Jordan, Bird, Duncan and Walton. He chose Walton over Boston’s own Bill Russell. Walton was just that good and that’s why he was a three-time NCAA Player of the Year, NBA MVP, NBA 1st Team Defense, and NBA Finals MVP all in just a five year span.

Wilt Chamberlain
wiltvskareem.gif

The greatest center ever. Wilt played both ways and simply didn’t have the deep talent around him like Russell had.

I see my team as flawless. That is to say, there are no liabilities. Many teams have a guy or two that are just mediocre at best on defense despite their offensive strengths, like Shaq or Dirk for spy. Or they have limitations due to their height, like Isaiah for spy. My team is not that team. I see VERY well-rounded players who can shoot, pass, rebound, and play defense with great size, length and athleticism. I see multiple elite athletes (Westbrook, Wilt...), multiple elite shooters (Curry, Allen...), multiple elite defenders (Wilt, Noah...), insane size and length combos (Wilt, Westbrook, Sampson, and on and on)...elite passers for their positions (Wilt, Noah, Walton...), elite rebounding (Wilt, Noah...), many guys who can just attack the basket (Westbrook, Allen, Worthy, Baylor), guys who can get to the free throw line like crazy (Wilt, Westbrook...), guys who can drain free throws at elite rates (Curry, Allen, Westbrook...)multiple guys who can be that stretch 4 yet not be a liability on defense (Rasheed, Battier), the best bench in this entire tournament and quite simply, great balance of skill, style of play, and character which will allow me to change my starting lineup as I deem necessary. Spy and I would have a close game but halfway through the 3rd quarter, his mediocre defense would become an issue. Isaiah (vs. Westbrook), Dirk (vs. Walton) and Shaq (vs. Wilt) would just give up too many easy baskets or foul at too exorbitant of a rate. The only way he could slow them would be to have a lot of help defense (not exactly Shaq or Dirk’s strength) and once that happens, Allen and Worthy would be wide open and kill spy.

Team Spy

shaq-jabbawockeez-o.gif

Isiah Thomas
tumblr_n3f661Vdww1sdydefo1_400.gif

Clyde Drexler
giphy.gif

Paul Pierce
vsfox.gif

Dirk Nowitzki
Dirk%20fade%202.gif

Shaquille O'Neal
aef8722e5e774c159f689cd1270d4af1.600x.gif

Best statistcal season for each:

Thomas: 21.2 points - 13.9 assists - 4.5 rebounds - 2.3 steals

Drexler: 27.2 points - 7.8 rebounds - 5.8 assists - 2.7 steals

Pierce: 26.8 points - 6.7 rebounds - 4.7 assists

Nowitzki: 26.6 points - 9.0 rebounds - 2.8 assists

Shaq: 29.7 points - 13.6 rebounds - 3.8 assists - 3.0 blocks

Four of my five starters are Finals MVP's and the one who isn't is a member of the original Dream Team.

Shaq and Dirk are impossible to match up with. We're talking about the most physically dominant player ever playing next to the greatest stretch-four of all time. Then you've got the slashing Drexler paired with the savy shooter in Pierce, and the fearless leader in Isiah Thomas running the show.

There's post play, penetrating, outside shooting (Pierce and Dirk are both 40% 3 point shooters), passing...

The chemistry is perfect.

Right, Walt?

2917268.gif

The Bench:

0.jpg

My offense will always be run by Isiah Thomas or Chauncey Billups--two of the very few PG's to win Finals MVP, as well as the two leaders of the Championship Pistons teams. They have very contrasting styles, so my team can change up the type of game depending on what the situation calls for; always keeping the opponent on their feet, never being able to adjust to any particular style of basketball.

Much along those same lines, the collection of bigs I have coming off the bench (McHale, Stoudemire, Gasol) offer many different combinations. We can slow the game down with a very half court oriented team with Billups, McHale, and Gasol all in at the same time, or bring the pace up a notch with McGrady and Stoudemire.

McHale is a back-to-back Sixth man of the year. He's the perfect 3rd big.

McGrady is the perfect instant offense player that can come in for Pierce or Drexler.

"Every team needs a crazy guy" and who better for the job than Artest?

panda-friend-meme.jpeg

He just also happens to be one of the very few (five) perimeter players in the history of the NBA to win DPOY. Not to mention he was a 20ppg scorer on top of that, unlike many other DPOY winners.

My bench basically has it all.

The match-up with QSH

Thomas > Westbrook
Drexler > Ray
Pierce = Worthy
Dirk > Walton
Shaq > Wilt

You can debate Shaq/Wilt and Pierce/Worthy, but I clearly win the other three match ups.

I actually picked Pierce and Worthy in the draft, and picked Pierce first, FWIW.

I personally prefer Shaq to Wilt. He dominated harder against better competition. He's the only player other than MJ to win 3 consecutive Finals MVP's.

Overall, I've got more talent and more chemistry (Shaq/Dirk have more natural chemistry than Walton/Wilt, for example). Btw, I'm sure Walton would have a lot of fun guarding Dirk at the 3-point line.

My team wins.

Last edited:
I went with Spy. With the exception of George Gervin, Spycam's forwards are better across the board. Hair's PFs are mostly Cs playing out of position, and they're not particularly good at running the floor. Westbrook is more athletic than Isiah Thomas, but he's not the efficient shooter or distributor you'd want running a team of scorers. Amare and Tmac are a ton of offense off the bench. I'm a believer in Wilt, but I think Spycam's team goes uptempo and plays effectively as a unit.

Looking at the starters, the only match-up that Quin would win is Worthy over Pierce and even that is questionable.

Shaq/Dirk is unguardable.

Walton will either have to leave Dirk open for 3, or attempt to go way out to the 3-point line, leaving driving lanes open for Thomas and Drexler.

Pierce is the only member of my starting lineup who isn't considered Top-5 all time at his respective position.

4 are Finals MVP's. One's a member of the Dream Team. All are Champions.

Shaq/Dirk is unguardable? I have five guys who all play either elite or strong defense. Wilt doesn't need help. No one needs help on my team. Shaq, Dirk and Isaiah on the other hand would be sieves.

Curious. What would we do if there was a tie?

I think it's happened once before and I don't remember what we ended up doing about it.