What's new

Andrei wants to stay in Utah after 2011

LunaticWolf

Kirilenko will give Jazz top billing after contract ends
Published on Oct 5, 2010 10:31AM 2 Comments
Utah Jazz forward Andrei Kirilenko said Tuesday that the Jazz will be given top billing when he searches for a new contract after the 2010-11 season.
Kirilenko, who has played for Utah his entire nine-year career, is set to make $17.8 million this season and is in the final year of his a six-year deal he signed in 2004.
"There's no sense to change," said Kirilenko, prior to a morning workout at the team practice facility. "But again ... it's about business. We'll see how it goes after this year."
Kirilenko, 29, is still considering playing in Russia after his NBA career ends. But he was not sure how long he will continue to play in the league, adding that the possibility of him one day taking the court in his native country depends upon how his body ages.
"I will probably stay in the NBA and play a few years here," Kirilenko said.
He added: "At the end of your career, you look at your family and where your kids go to school, rather than whatever you want."
https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogs/jazznotes/50417081-62/kirilenko-career-jazz-billing.html.csp

However, the real question is what is he expecting coming off this large contract? Is he going to expect/want another max deal? How much are other teams willing to offer him?

He could offer to tear his contract up now and take $8 million this season and extend it for two years. It would help with the luxury tax.

AK seems like a pretty bright guy, I think he knows he's not getting the max. In fact, I'm pretty sure he has acknowledged that publicly before. My guess is AK gets a Trevor Ariza type deal (6-7 mil yr) depending on what happens with the CBA. I'd pay that much.

Really? AK wants to show the Jazz that he appreciates all the money he has gotten and the chance to play on a winning team....that he will give the jazz top billing when it's time to resign?

Gee, we heard that from Mathews, from Bell.......

Hometown discount, right?

He's been overpaid for years, now it's time for him to take a cheap contract from the Jazz.

I also expect Santa to bring me all the stuff asked for.

NO way in Zion!

He's going to have a monster year, and drive up his price. He will con people into believing "he is back", and that this year's performance is what will will see in the future.

It's fool's gold! Don't fall for it! Enjoy this big year he's going to have, and then cut ALL ties.

He could offer to tear his contract up now and take $8 million this season and extend it for two years. It would help with the luxury tax.

No. This isn't the NFL. Contracts cannot be re-structured. Even if, in theory, the Jazz and AK privately agreed to pay/take less money for this season, the NBA doesn't care. The original contract is the one they count.

Even if, in theory, the Jazz and AK privately agreed to pay/take less money for this season, the NBA doesn't care. The original contract is the one they count.
The buyout amount - or the amount actually paid - is the only thing that counts against the cap.

The only way the Jazz could re-structure the contract is to break it into two individual pieces. They'd have to buy him out for $0 and then re-sign him for whatever the terms of the next deal were to be. The cap figure is what the buyout number was, but since that act would be contingent on him re-signing, it would be the buyout amount plus the new rate (0 + whatever). The difficulty besides the obvious is that teams can't negotiate new contracts (which doesn't include extensions) with players, so with that rule in place in addition to having a rule about not renegotiating current deals, it makes it basically impossible to pull this off without the NBA laying down some gnarly penalties (seizure of draft picks, cash). And that's even assuming AK would allow himself to lose however many millions of dollars and go through all of this hassle.

Yes, cuz any of us would go to our boss and tell them we make too much, please redo our deal..mmk

Is he going to expect/want another max deal?

He should also expect us to use the gold bullion we got in the One Eyed Willie trade from a few years back. I think KOC is keeping it in Middle Earth. Maybe take the team Pegasus 30-45 mins max to get there and back to pay him his next max deal.

In conclusion, AK isn't getting a max deal...........

He should also expect us to use the gold bullion we got in the One Eyed Willie trade from a few years back. I think KOC is keeping it in Middle Earth. Maybe take the team Pegasus 30-45 mins max to get there and back to pay him his next max deal.

In conclusion, AK isn't getting a max deal...........

Doesn't mean he doesn't think he is worth one.

I'm pretty sure the players association has to approve a buyout as well. They only do it if it makes sense for the player, and this obviously does not. They'd tell AK no whether he wanted such a thing or not.

He can say all he wants but that's not going to stop the Jazz from giving him a kick in the pants before Feb. comes around.

I think when it comes down to it The Jazz will offer him less than market value because they've been overpaying him all these years.

My guess is he gets a better offer somewhere else - so unless he's willing to take less money to play in Utah, I figure he's somewhere else next year.

Im with Colton. I'll say over. I think AK is going to have a really good year this year and his price tag well be up in the $8-10 mill range. But I don't think it well be over 3 years.