What's new

Ante Tomic

kareem-abduljabbar-skyhook1.jpg

The guy doesn't seem to get up and down the court too quickly either. Awkward.

He's played the entire time since I've been watching. At the first of the second half, he was moving a lot better. He's winded, and being 7'2, and no sub, I don't blame him.

Kareem was known to play some D in his day, and the average NBA athlete was a lot different in the 70s and 80s (bunch of slow, thin, slow, weak white guys) than it is today.

I'm just giving my impression after watching 10 minutes or so of him play. He doesn't "look" like an NBA player. I could, of course, be wrong, but I don't see how he matches up with anyone at the NBA level.

Kareem was known to play some D in his day, and the average NBA athlete was a lot different in the 70s and 80s (bunch of slow, thin, slow, weak white guys) than it is today.

Can you name one rail thin low post offensive player that has found success in the NBA?

You were talking about offensive game. Kareem was pretty much the same size as Tomic 7'2, 225. I just answered your question, brah.

I'm just giving my impression after watching 10 minutes or so of him play. He doesn't "look" like an NBA player. I could, of course, be wrong, but I don't see how he matches up with anyone at the NBA level.

Just like you told me the Lopez twins wouldn't find success in the NBA?

A lot of ex NBA players playing. Marco Jaric, Walter Herman, Morris Almond, Travis Hansen.

Both teams are in the elite 8 of Europe, yes

Sergio Llull drafted by Rockets, Jorge Garbajosa played for Toronto Raptors until his injury... or european stars like Pablo Prigioni o Felipe Reyes ( both are starts in Argertina or Spain´s teams that have been Worlds Champions, for example )

Tomic is playing his better basketball in major level matches

Both teams are in the elite 8 of Europe, yes

Sergio Llull drafted by Rockets, Jorge Garbajosa played for Toronto Raptors until his injury... or european stars like Pablo Prigioni o Felipe Reyes ( both are starts in Argertina or Spain´s teams that have been Worlds Champions, for example )

Tomic is playing his better basketball in major level matches

I was impressed with Reyes. He looks like a dude that you don't want to mess with. What's his story?

I've seen a good number of complete games from Tomic.
Watching this newest game he just played a few things stand out.

He's improving. The kid gets better every time I see him.
He's very quick for a 7+ footer.
His post moves are fun to watch. The kid has some serious skills down low.
He's rebounding, and defending better. Still needs work here, but nice to see improvement.
Good passer. He can move the ball around pretty good.

I'm nothing but impressed with Tomic at this point.
If he continues to improve there is no reason why he couldn't turn into a solid NBA player.
He looks more skilled then our two young bigs we have, and is quicker, better defender than Memo with better post moves.

He still has things to work on, but this kid is really a nice prospect right now.
The question marks are will his body hold up to an 82 game schedule?
Can he defend the elite centers of the NBA?
Still, we have nothing to lose, everything to gain here.

Last edited:
I was impressed with Reyes. He looks like a dude that you don't want to mess with. What's his story?

Felipe Reyes is of the same generation of Pau Gasol, Raul Lopez and Juan Carlos Navarro...
In 1999 Spain wins with them the World Junior Championship in Lisboa, against EEUU
SPAIN 94 - EEUU 87
SPAIN
R.López (13) ***, Gabriel (18) ***, Reyes (9) ***, Navarro (27) ****,Cabeza (0) *, Cabezas (5) **, Bueno (7) ***, Gasol (7) **, Rodríguez(0) *, Dramec (8) ***, Herráiz (0) *
EEUU
Dooling(12) **, Wright (7) *, Collison (2) 0, C. Williams (7) *, Lepore (8) *,Logan (15) **, Parker (2) 0, Simmons (17) ***, Hall (0) 0, L. Williams(10) *, Jacobsen (4) 0

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/_j-GFKdYOzwI/SOOd5mM_OOI/AAAAAAAAAH0/E5Y6vKIT_gI/s320/juniors+de+oro.jpg

In 1999 Felipe Reyes starts in the power forward position and Pau Gasol was 6th o 7th man in the rotation. The Stars was Raul Lopez and Juan Carlos Navarro of course...

Felipe Reyes goes many years being a star in Europe and He is the perfect complement for Gasol in the Spanish Team ( European and World Champion ), He is a hard fighter and rebounder
Reyes is an extremely physical player. It's a pretty difficult task to make Reyes feel intimidated
He is 2,04m ( 6´9" and this is a great problem for him for NBA ) and for this He is not a super intriguing talent NBA-wise, a hypothetical NBA adventure looks like a long shot
A potentially useful player in the NBA, but Reyes is already a star in the Spanish League, and nobody will match the kind of money he can make in Europe
With his age it would happen like Jorge Garbajosa or Juan Carlos Navarro... 1 or 2 years and return to Europe
Victor Claver ( Blazers ), Sergio Llull ( Rockets ) or Fran Vazquez ( Magic ) will finish in NBA, but they are not nba big projects ( Probably Vazquez but I don´t know it... ).
Rubio will be All Star player for many years I think

I see Tomic being more of a 4 in the mold of Gasol. I wonder how much strength conditioning is really emphasized over there but either way, 23 or not, I could see him packing on 10+ pounds of lean muscle if he came over here.

We'll see what happens with Tomic. It is way too early to say he will be a productive player or bust. It is nice to see him putting up good numbers across the Atlantic.

Is Tomic that much different than say Monroe? Yes, I think Monroe weighs more and is a better passer but Tomic is taller, seems much tougher in every vid I've seen, and has a low post game light years ahead of Monroe's. Obviously age plays into there being a greater difference than perhaps I'm recognizing but still. Tomic may have a value of around the 10th-15th pick.

That said, we have the 9th pick, Tomic who I'll value at the 15th (though I think he's valued much better than the Larry Sanders of the world and in a worser draft would be more like the 5th-10th), the Memphis pick which seems worthless but you never know, and other assets in Millsap, AK's expiring, or Boozer in a S&T to use to move up.

Would Minny consider the 9th pick, Tomic, and a future 1st for #4? Is that even enough? Hell, I'd do two future 1sts in 2012 and 2014.

Then, if we can't get Favors there, trade Philly Millsap, the #4 and the Memphis pick for the #2 to get Favors who can play center imo. Or do a S&T of Booze and #4 for #2 and something else. Possible?

In short, I think Favors may be the guy to get. That combination of size, athleticism, attitude and upside rarely comes along.

CrazyKilla- You make no sense to me. You say it was a horrible trade Booz, KK,Price, Memphis pick for Thomas, Derrick Brown, Diop and Augustin.

Why in hell would you trade Booz(Already proven all star) and the 4th pick for an unproven player in Favors who really wasn't even the best big man on there team- Lawal was(Favors just has oozing potential and athleticism) Why would you trade better yet Milly who is going to average 18 and 11 I bet with 2 blocks next year

You were talking about offensive game. Kareem was pretty much the same size as Tomic 7'2, 225. I just answered your question, brah.
By offensive I meant no defense. And, again, the league was filled with skinny dudes 30 years ago. Average strength/athleticism in the league has improved dramatically since then.