What's new

Anthony Randolph

Why is he a black hole? He can post, shoot the mid range and create his own shot
None of those address the black whole option which is that he does not pass enough. Considering how much he has the ball in his hands 3 APG is absolutely pathetic.

but their offense is one on one. He would do great in our offense like coming off screens, pick and rolls, iso's on the block

lets see Maggette in Utah....Hummmm the Jazz offered him a contract but the Clips matched when he became a free agent again the Jazz Persued him but GS offerd a crazy contract. Now he is living up to the amount of his contract and has only 3 years left he will be almsot 34 when teh contract ends not that bad at all.

but their offense is one on one. He would do great in our offense like coming off screens, pick and rolls, iso's on the block

He's not a good jump shooter so coming off screens would not be helpful, He does not pass so running PNR's would be a disaster, We already have Mathews and Deron to go to the Block against smaller wings. Philly's offense was one on one as well yet Iverson got a lot more assists than Maggette does.

Honestly I see Maggette in this system as a disaster.

Your comparing Maggette and AI. First off AI is a point guard, had the ball in his hands 90% of the time. Maggette maybe 40%. Stephen Curry is their man along with Ellis. You never know they may want Maggette out. There was a deal last summer Ak and something else for Maggete and Turiaf but it never worked out

Your comparing Maggette and AI. First off AI is a point guard, had the ball in his hands 90% of the time. Maggette maybe 40%. Stephen Curry is their man along with Ellis. You never know they may want Maggette out. There was a deal last summer Ak and something else for Maggete and Turiaf but it never worked out

Maggette's usage rate is similar to Iverson's rate in his only full year in Denver. Iverson still doubled Maggette's assist total, and is incredibly higher on his assist rate. Maggette doesn't pass the ball. He's worse than CJ, and you've seen how this board tears apart CJ when he takes so many shots.

They are both poor shooting wings who don't pass. And of course they may want him out. That's not the question, why would the Jazz want him? Still haven't seen a good reason.

I suspect I've seen as much of Corey Maggette as anybody here. I think he gets a bad rap.

Maggette's field goal percentage last season was actually really good (51.6%) and he gets to the line with almost Dwayne Wade like regularity.

Believe it or not when watching the games it was apparent that he should have been a more focal point of the Warriors offense.

Now if you want to talk about Warriors players who are secretly terrible we'll talk about Monta Ellis.

Thank you, Kicky.

And to answer Gregbroncs ('why would we want Maggette?'); to get Randolph or #6 (if possible). That was supposed to be the point of this thread, anyway.

And Maggette does provide something(s) the Jazz need; alternate ballhandler that can take SOME amount of pressure off of Deron. Maybe Sloan can get Maggette to pass more, maybe not, but if there's one guy in the league to have go solo, there are much, much worse options than Maggette. Again, though, that's just a (lesser) poison pill to get a badass asset.

Thank you, Kicky.

And to answer Gregbroncs ('why would we want Maggette?'); to get Randolph or #6 (if possible). That was supposed to be the point of this thread, anyway.

And Maggette does provide something(s) the Jazz need; alternate ballhandler that can take SOME amount of pressure off of Deron. Maybe Sloan can get Maggette to pass more, maybe not, but if there's one guy in the league to have go solo, there are much, much worse options than Maggette. Again, though, that's just a (lesser) poison pill to get a badass asset.
I really like Randolph. I'm not sure I want Maggette to make that happen though. #6 to me is not enough of a move up, basically the same level of player that is going to get more money and is just as much of a question as the guy to get at #9. Now if Wesley Johnson or Demarcus Cousins happen to be available at that spot that's a whole different story for me otherwise this is not enough. And I don't believe either of them will still be there.

Good replies by both Kicky and Numberica. Ball handler is not something I see as a need for this squad as they have CJ, Mathews and AK all with the ability to get it into the front court and to start the offense. It would be nice to have a player that can successfully attack the basket though. I'm not sure that changed my mind but if it landed both Cousins/Johnson and Randolph it would not be a tough pill to swallow.

I did not see much of Maggette this year. Most of what I've seen is from his LA days and from looking at the stats from this year. His outside shooting % is troublesome in a system that already has problems opening up the floor.

Last edited:
Maggette is going to be 31 next year with 11 full seasons of mileage on the tires. He's due to make basically 10,10, and 11 in years when the CBA is coming down. It doesn't matter how he played last year. The guy is kryptonite. Golden State would have to sweeten that deal unbelievably to make it worth it. Maggette, plus Randolph, plus a swap of the 6 and 9, for AK, with them giving back the Cap Space in a TPE (if they have it.) I might do that deal.

As a side note, when a team is sitting on two toxic contracts like Golden State, and their talent is so horribly unbalanced, you never offer anything close to fair value. So since they're dying to unload Maggette and Ellis, you only offer to take one of them off their hands by making them pay in blood.

But they're not trying to get rid of Ellis (though they really, really should be). It's pretty well-established that Memphis offered Thabeet and Mayo for Ellis and GS didn't bite. Which is why they're the Warriors.

But they're not trying to get rid of Ellis (though they really, really should be). It's pretty well-established that Memphis offered Thabeet and Mayo for Ellis and GS didn't bite. Which is why they're the Warriors.

I get the feeling most front office decisions for the Warriors were motivated by putting a package together that would look good to a potential purchaser in the offseason. They are pushing the new owner as the factor that is going to turn the team around to a tremendous degree.

When the Warriors ticket guy called me about getting season tickets he gave me a line about "and I can't say it, but you probably know who the new owner might be" approximately 20 times in three phone calls. You know you're a bad organization when the salesmen are pitching that their bosses are going to change as part of the package.

My biggest thing with Maggette, based on the small amount I've seen him play, and maybe Kicky can comment on this, is that He reminds me of Kaman in that to be his efficient self, he needs the ball in his spots, whether it be to the teams detriment or not. The offense stalls when he has the ball. In other words, he can only be effective with the ball in his hands in the half court. He's worthless otherwise.

My biggest thing with Maggette, based on the small amount I've seen him play, and maybe Kicky can comment on this, is that He reminds me of Kaman in that to be his efficient self, he needs the ball in his spots, whether it be to the teams detriment or not. The offense stalls when he has the ball. In other words, he can only be effective with the ball in his hands in the half court. He's worthless otherwise.

There's some truth to this, and he's something of a ball stopper once he gets the ball in a few positions (the extreme left side of the free throw line appears to be his favorite spot).

This, by itself, however does not make him completely worthless.

For one, I think when you're at the efficiency level that Maggette is offensively I think you start questioning how much you care that he stops the ball in those situations. Earlier I compared his ability to get to the free throw line to Dwayne Wade; it turns out that this comparison was a disservice to Maggette. Maggette takes 7.9 free throws per game as compared to 12.7 field goals attempted per game. Dwayne Wade attempted 9.1 free throws per game against 19.6 field goals attempted per game. This indicates that Maggette gets fouled at a radically higher rate than Wade. In many ways, this justifies his relatively high usage rate because every time you get fouled to take free throws that counts as a possession "used" for usage rate purposes, and at 83% on free throws it's simply a good use of a possession. This is one of the reasons that Maggette is near the top of the league in TS% (among offensive players with a significant number of shots per the season, i.e. not Fabrico Oberto or Amir Johnson, Maggette is near the top ten and one of the top 5 non-centers) while having a usage rate tied for 32nd in the league. All this despite not having any three-point aspect to his game, which is how Kyle Korver ended up having a high true shooting percentage. His efficiency and usage rates are highly similar to Paul Pierce, which is obviously good company.

The guy gets all those free throws because he is unbelievably strong for his size (he might be the most ripped player in the league).

efe215b10a_cs07032008.jpg

This allows him to draw a lot of contact and finish hard at the hole; which sort of makes him a bizarro Vince Carter. I've also been to games where this has caused significant problems for the other team with foul trouble in the fourth quarter and no way to stop him down the stretch. This, for example, was a major theme in a late season one point victory against Toronto.

The other side of the coin of his strength is that he can create mis-match problems by being able to credibly defend back to the basket post-players and that is part of the reason that the Warriors actually played well towards the end of the season. Maggette's massive arms and legs allow him to push bigger players off their spots.

He's not a perfect player by any means, but you can really do a lot worse. Frankly I thought he was worth his money this season.

Maggs as a player is intriguing but given his contract (and ours), I don't see a deal appealing enough for us to pull the trigger.

Edit: AK and #9 for Maggs, Azubuike/Morrow and #5 is interesting though.

They (somewhat) free up their hoard of wings and get out of Maggs contract though which would put them at 24.4M or so next summer.

I trade AK and #9 for Maggete #6, and Radman (expiring) every day of the week (this is under the presumption that Johnson will still be available and I think he will).

The fact that Maggette is probably the sexiest man alive is gravy. Re-sign Korver and the Jazz become a de facto major market with ladies getting league pass to watch Jazz games, and then Stern is certain to pull some of that Laker magic for us.

Last edited:
The fact that Maggette is probably the sexiest man alive is gravy. Re-sign Korver and the Jazz become a de facto major market with ladies getting league pass to watch Jazz games, and then Stern is certain to pull some of that Laker magic for us.

Screw the ladies, it's pride week!

If they give up Randoph and Maggette and #6 for AK, #9, Koufos, and the Memphis pick I would do the trade with GS only if Cousins or Wesley Johnson is available. Otherwise if Randoph is not part of the deal I want nothing to due with Maggette in a Jazz uniform. And since they would not do that deal or any incarnation of it I still don't want to do a deal for Maggette. I would rather have AK for 1 year than Maggette for 3.