What's new

Game Thread Apr 07, 2021 08:00PM MT: Jazz at Suns

Added to Calendar: 04-07-21

This game had all the signs of our playoff question marks....

- is Royce gonna clam up on offense and struggle on D?

- is the opponent going to attack Conley's defense and will Conley struggle on offense?

- will the opponent clamp down on Clarkson making him less effective?

- will Favors be useful or will we dread minutes Gobert sits?

- will Bojan rebound and defend at least at an average level?

- if all those questions above are answered the way we don't want, will Don have to be superman to keep us in games?

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

I pin this game on a complete lack of will and urgency, noting more. Shots will fall but it takes a legit effort to start a game off with a lot more focus and energy and it takes not being lazy and hustle to get a rebound. Phoenix simply wanted it more.

I pin this game on a complete lack of will and urgency, noting more. Shots will fall but it takes a legit effort to start a game off with a lot more focus and energy and it takes not being lazy and hustle to get a rebound. Phoenix simply wanted it more.
I also blame to much "hero ball" mentality early in the shot clock. It becomes contagious.

The last couple games have been very stagnant on offense and defense. Open shots were also not falling last night, but there was a lot of bad decision making.

HYDRA refused to show up for the 2nd straight game and yet we took the 2nd best team to overtime on the road.

We are bound to have a lull here and there, especially after reeling off 9 straight wins. Just sucks that it had to happen against the Mavs and Suns.

In any event, I'm ready for a brand new winning streak!

HYDRA refused to show up for the 2nd straight game and yet we took the 2nd best team to overtime on the road.

We are bound to have a lull here and there, especially after reeling off 9 straight wins. Just sucks that it had to happen against the Mavs and Suns.

In any event, I'm ready for a brand new winning streak!
Problem is our lulls seem to come against good teams. Are they lulls?

The problem here is that we’re playing money ball. That’s not inherently wrong. You play the hand you’re dealt and hope to move forward. The problem with money ball is that it thrives in larger samples, but is very risky in small samples. The reason the house always wins is because they are placing drastically more bets than each guest individually, coupled with a very small advantage that’s not nearly as noticeable psychologically or in any given instance. That’s where we thrive. We will shoot our numbers.... over time. The playoffs are a small sample. When things clamp down, the calculus changes. It’s why we suck at rebounding despite our numbers, and I’ve been saying this for at least three seasons, so it’s not a new development. We can point to anomalies as to why games are won and lost, but each game will have anomalies, and any game that doesn’t itself will be an anomaly. Good teams find ways to win games. We’ve certainly done that this year. We’re not in first place for no reason. But, that said, the last two games we found ways to lose. We found ways to lose three games in a row against Denver. We had completely bested them that series. Then we found ways to lose.

We have shooting that should approximate our averages more in the future. But we’ve had a lot of games go the way of not being able to produce because we can’t throw it in the ocean. Do we remember the Houston series? We lost because we couldn’t hit a shot.m, with a non-shooting team. Unbelievably, I think we’re still capable of that in a playoff series, and if we blame it on flukes an anomalies, and that the money ball didn’t have a large enough sample to regress to the mean, well, it’s the playoffs... and your sample sizes are small. Ask the house how they’d feel if all their bets for a year got thrown into 7 scenarios. I’m certain they wouldn’t be going into that thinking the house always wins.

They simply have to play harder. No urgency for loose balls, no desire to slow or impede progress for Suns on fast break opportunities combined with our players having absolutely no give a crap to hustle and get back. We don't have one main player that fights hard for rebounds not in the immediate area. Bogey is a nice piece in the right situation, but Utah isn't it. The Jazz are very small and the bigs are not athletic (cept Rudy). Bogey is all fluff and will always amount to a - in actual wins/losses. No desire to rebound, no intensity on defense, very few intangibles that contribute to winning basketball if he's not hitting shots. Royce and Ingles are vastly overrated players that would be castoffs in systems that didn't cater to individual strengths. Mitchell and Clarkson both have way too many single use possessions which kill continuity and actual engagement of others. Rudy is so good on both ends that the Jazz look better than they really are, if threes don't fall Utah will just be "in" games. Just their normal shooting percent would have seen 34 more points in the last two games so the sky isn't falling, but the Jazz need to play harder. Quin doesn't get a pass. When players aren't giving it (Bogey, Ingles, Royce), play Oni or someone that will. I think Oni using 20 minutes of Royce/Bogey last night would have resulted in a win. Quin also needs to rein in Clarkson/Mitchell when they start their single use possessions. Who else thinks the Jazz aren't a 50% win percentage team without Rudy?

I do think it’s time Ingles starts

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz
I think its time to finish the games with Ingles. We are also like 11 - 1 when Ingles starts so thats something.

I also think it's time that Bogie, Royce, Mitchell, and Clarkson remain confident in adversity like Ingles, Conley, and Gobert do. When we miss a few shots we get in our heads too often.

A bunch of mindless complaining. The Jazz have played like poo for the last 6 quarters of basketball. We have seen them play great for 40 games this season.

Stop panicking over a shooting slump over two other of the best teams in the NBA.

Shoots fall and miss. The shots will fall again.

A bunch of mindless complaining. The Jazz have played like poo for the last 6 quarters of basketball. We have seen them play great for 40 games this season.

Stop panicking over a shooting slump over two other of the best teams in the NBA.

Shoots fall and miss. The shots will fall again.

This is the kind of mentality that accepts an early playoff exit.

We'll get 'em next year chaps!

I mean, the fact is that in both of these losses we played not like our normal selves and yet somehow still had chances to win both games. As mad as I am that we lost, I'm encouraged that we didn't just lay down when things didn't go our way and we kept fighting.

Sometimes you just need a lucky bounce of the ball.

Quin's offense does not do as well for teams that switch aggressively and are good at mitigating screens. Rudy's big *** screens are the facilitator for a lot of offense. The Suns did a great job of avoiding them. I wish the Jazz had better on ball ability to slip screens.

Chris Paul has always been a master at it, and it has rubbed off on the Suns. There is a reason the Suns are going from a 10 year drought to having one of the best records in the league.

Chris Paul is a nut punching d-bag, but he is a very good player, and pwns (is pwns still a thing?) Rudy every time we play against him.

PHX struggled in this game, too, braughs. And they still won because their strength plays right into our weakness. And our coaches probably won’t adjust for this weakness. A paradigm of Bud-ball is to not adjust thusly.

I said it last year, and I’ll say it again this year with the same emphasis:

(a) our perimeter defense isn’t good enough when it counts
(b) our overall defense is waaaaaay too predictable (and that really matters in clutch-time).

Quin's offense does not do as well for teams that switch aggressively and are good at mitigating screens. Rudy's big *** screens are the facilitator for a lot of offense. The Suns did a great job of avoiding them. I wish the Jazz had better on ball ability to slip screens.

Chris Paul has always been a master at it, and it has rubbed off on the Suns. There is a reason the Suns are going from a 10 year drought to having one of the best records in the league.

Chris Paul is a nut punching d-bag, but he is a very good player, and pwns (is pwns still a thing?) Rudy every time we play against him.
I agree with you... will say it isn't just on Rudy though. Rudy can bother the mid range but he has to come to high which means someone else needs to cover his guy or box out the miss... When CP drives all the way to the hoop he usually isn't trying to score but if he takes Rudy with him then he can drop the alley oop to Ayton.

Rudy is amazing... the narrative that he gets played off the court in the playoffs is ********... the narrative should be the limitations on this type of gimmicky system and having this many non defenders around him will limit the playoff effectiveness of the defense.