What's new

Game Thread Apr 26, 2021 06:00PM MT: Jazz at Wolves

Added to Calendar: 04-26-21

I genuinely don't believe there's been a single Jazz playoff series in my life where the outcome would have been different if HCA went from one team to the other.
I feel like HCA has been the key in every Jazz playoff run.

The two finals years were the only years those teams finished with the 1st seed.

The Jazz have never gone to the finals without the 1st seed.

The Jazz have always gone to the finals with the 1st seed.

It doesn't matter?

**** me!

The biggest disappointement in those two losses was Clarkson. With Donovan out he should have taken some of his role. Had he played even average we would have won those.

The biggest disappointement in those two losses was Clarkson. With Donovan out he should have taken some of his role. Had he played even average we would have won those.

Oh he took on his role, he just didn't make the shots to help the team.

I genuinely don't believe there's been a single Jazz playoff series in my life where the outcome would have been different if HCA went from one team to the other.
That's because the Jazz hasn't done much the last 20 years getting slotted in seeds where a deep playoff run is just unlikely. It's why they've not managed to get beyond the semis in 14 years (one of the longest conference finals droughts in the west) and have only made the West Finals once since their Finals run ended.

When you're opening with the 5th seed most seasons, you're set to play the number one seed in round two and are at a major disadvantage regardless.

But it's not a coincidence the Jazz finally made the NBA Finals once they got home court throughout.

Had they not had it in the Houston series, I'm skeptical they even make the Finals in 1997. Had they had it against Seattle in 1996, tho, they probably do.

Rudy rightfully took the heat for the loss tonight but it was really a team effort to get there.
Ya that's nice of him but he played a pretty good game overall statistically while almost all of his teammates were trash.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Ya that's nice of him but he played a pretty good game overall statistically while almost all of his teammates were trash.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app
I think his mistakes at the end put the spotlight on him. The team was way off again and that really isn’t Rudy’s fault.

I don’t want to make too much of this loss but it’s hard to ignore that teams with good physical switch wings throw our offense in a tizzy. Don is the guy that can burn those schemes best so not having him hurts... but unless he goes for 40 we will need to knock down the open threes we get.

Teams have learned to not help off the 3 pt shooters against us and except Clarkson when he gets deep. They also anticipate our screens.

I wish they'd mix it up with some off ball flex screens to keep opponents guessing. When you play moneyball to a t you become predictable.
We shot almost 60 threes... not many of them went in so the shot quality might not have been there... Minny was pretty good switching and staying in front but I also felt like we didn’t hunt the right matchups... 50% of the time we pass it around up top and then would try and take one of their better players off the dribble. I mean KAT and DLo are out there. Should be able to get whatever you want when those guys are on the court.

I don't know but if a player makes such an egregious bonehead play like Rudy which cost the Jazz the game after Conley's clutch three and I were the coach, I might fine him to make a point. Geezus, even a high school kid should know better. How can anyone absolve him? What did he say during the post-game interview?

Like I've been saying most of the year. This team is soft, and not built for a deep playoff run. Some of the homers got butt hurt about this reality, but
I know what I'm talking about.

Hopefully after the playoffs the front office will be forced to make some changes. Royce has to be removed from the starting line up, and upgraded. And how long
can we keep Favors?
This kind of statement is essentially a claim of expertise at team management level, front office decision maker qualifications. Yah, I've got a brother like that. I'll ask him what he thinks of this next time I see him.

I certainly don't know that much myself.

IMO, Utah teams generally have a sort of malaise, something like a recurrent malaria buried deep in the psyche, a mentality of "Gee Whiz, are we really in the Big Leagues now?" where they don't really have the will to win or don't believe they really can. That's BS I know, but I'd just like to see I'm wrong sometime.

This hayseed yokel sort of self-identity probably runs in the management team historically, and is bred into our recruits/players from the top. I'm hopeful we are movin' on up with some of the new management players, Rick Smith and D-Wade. I so want to see more self-confidence in our players. I thought DM has a real spirit like that and can bring the team up with it.

But, all that conceded, it just strikes me as sorta smug to come around right now to say we're "soft".

We're still on top of this race gone amok.

That's because the Jazz hasn't done much the last 20 years getting slotted in seeds where a deep playoff run is just unlikely. It's why they've not managed to get beyond the semis in 14 years (one of the longest conference finals droughts in the west) and have only made the West Finals once since their Finals run ended.

When you're opening with the 5th seed most seasons, you're set to play the number one seed in round two and are at a major disadvantage regardless.

But it's not a coincidence the Jazz finally made the NBA Finals once they got home court throughout.

Had they not had it in the Houston series, I'm skeptical they even make the Finals in 1997. Had they had it against Seattle in 1996, tho, they probably do.
?

HCA only comes into play if a series goes 7 games. The Jazz didn't play any Game 7's in either of their Finals runs. Maybe they would've beaten Seattle in 1996, I don't know. But those are rare occurrences. Like, can you think of any series in recent history where your opinion is - "The inferior team won this series because they got to play Game 7 at home"?

The largest benefit of a high seed isn't HCA, it's that you generally have an easier overall path to the Finals.

We shot almost 60 threes... not many of them went in so the shot quality might not have been there... Minny was pretty good switching and staying in front but I also felt like we didn’t hunt the right matchups... 50% of the time we pass it around up top and then would try and take one of their better players off the dribble. I mean KAT and DLo are out there. Should be able to get whatever you want when those guys are on the court.
That is the problem. Watch what the teams the Jazz have problems with do on D. They guard against the teams's strengths. Outside of Clarkson and Mitchell, we have no penetration game. And Clarkson oftens wears blinders and won't pass/clogs the offense. Bogey is turnover prone and inconsistent, Ingles can get himself open for jumpers, O'neale can only score when wide open or at the cup...

Teams that negate Gobert's screen (happening more and more due to better anticipation, bringing Rudy farther out, etc., and dont have help hedge off our 3 pt shooters, and don't leave Rudy for oops leaves us exposed, more so without DM.

?

HCA only comes into play if a series goes 7 games. The Jazz didn't play any Game 7's in either of their Finals runs. Maybe they would've beaten Seattle in 1996, I don't know. But those are rare occurrences. Like, can you think of any series in recent history where your opinion is - "The inferior team won this series because they got to play Game 7 at home"?

The largest benefit of a high seed isn't HCA, it's that you generally have an easier overall path to the Finals.
Completely wrong.

HCA and high seed matters from game 1 on.

You don’t run Ingles out there for 34 minutes if you are just tinkering around me not concerned about outcomes. We did good conserving him this year but he looks gassed right now.
This is the exact time to be resting 30+ year old vets that you absolutely need to win.

How is it wrong? Games 1-6 have the same amount of home and road games. If you lose before Game 7, you can't blame lack of HCA.
When you have the higher seed you start at home for the first two games. That's massive. Going up 2-0 in a series is a BFD.

When you have the #1 seed you begin the playoffs by playing what is typically the worst playoff team in your conference, which is massive. It means you're more likely to end that series early and wait at home for the other team so that you can start the second round at home too.

When you're the #1 seed you play the second round against the 4-5 seed instead of the 2 or 3 seed (most likely) which usually means you're playing a weaker team. Massive.

Both years the Jazz finished with the #1 seed they went to the finals...

EVERY TIME THE JAZZ HAVE HAD THE #1 SEED THEY'VE GONE TO THE FINALS.

THE JAZZ HAVE NEVER GONE TO THE FINALS WITHOUT THE #1 SEED.

It matters.