Are there any past Jazz player's number would the organization retire?

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by #UJ4ever, Oct 7, 2019.

1. MVP

MVP Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I remember reading that interview and it was after the series not during the series.

campaignist likes this.
  2. MVP

MVP Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    He was not booking travel during series lol. He had appointment at consulate for visa. Those are booked 3-4 month in advance and even NBA players do not get exceptions.

campaignist likes this.
  3. MVP

MVP Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I would argue that AK was better than those two in that regard as an evidence of his European championship title and MVP title and Olympic bronze medal with Russian national team.

4. MVP

MVP Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I would agree that AK did not have killer instinct and did not treat the game like a war for example. He looked at it as fun play where he wanted to outplay his opponents instead of destroying them. Had he had Bryant mentality and less fragile body he would have been talked as one of all time greats - talent wise he was absurdly gifted.

5. infection

infection Well-Known Member Staff Member 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

May 27, 2010
    The WCF was not his visa issue. That was a different year:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/jazz-kirilenko-0-2/sn-amp/

What people are referring to is when Deron was mad the day after and mentioned people not being focused and planning their summer vacation during the playoffs. He didn’t specify. It later came out it was AK.

With regard to his comments to the Russian media being before or after the playoffs, my recollection was that it was before they ended. We’re putting each person’s recollection up against the other, so it’s pretty worthless, but your recollection above is a little fuzzy.

6. infection

May 27, 2010
    And hence our frustration. He didn’t need a Kobe mentality. He could have been an all-time great with even a Raul Neto mentality.

MVP likes this.
  7. MVP

MVP Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Ok, so was it Deron's place to make comments like that? AK informed the Jazz way before and was given permission to miss practice ( not the actual game). While I get that Deron was frustrated about loss to Lakers as far as I remember it was Boozer who was ineffective in that series and frankly terrible officiating in game 5 cost as the chance to go ahead. AK was the least of the problem in that series and Deron being hotheaded directed his frustration and wrong target.

campaignist likes this.
  8. infection

May 27, 2010
    I’m not talking about the Lakers series at all. I’m not talking about his visa at all. I’m talking about the WCF. You win that and you win a title.

9. MVP

MVP Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Sorry, not following you. How is this AK's fault that we got destroyed by future champions and best team in NBA that year? Superior coaching, more talented team, completely took Boozer out of the game, we had nobody to defend Duncan, Parker outplayed Deron, just bad matchup everywhere you look unfortunately. We had way more chances to win vs Lakers next year and that loss to me was way more frustrating as we had lead in game 5 in 4th quarter and then refs took it away from us.

10. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Well-Known Member Contributor

May 26, 2010
    Boozer deserves to be retired before AK does. He was a far far bigger reason for our success at that time.

Ostertag>Duncan and Jingled like this.
  11. TheTrippleThreat

TheTrippleThreat Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Andrei Kirilenko. I bet on the Jazz to have a winning record under his and Matt Harprings play despite everyone else saying that the loss of Stockton and Malone would cripple the Jazz. A few 5x5's and a 42 win season, I won the bet ans became a die hard Jazz fan.

campaignist and MVP like this.
  12. Kyoto

Kyoto Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    His number is retired
    Sent from my SM-G965U using JazzFanz mobile app

13. Kyoto

Kyoto Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Jeeze some fans dont even know who is retired. Smh

Hornacek HAS his number retired.

Sent from my SM-G965U using JazzFanz mobile app

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019 at 7:20 PM
  14. Jack Strop

Jack Strop Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2017
    Nope. I remember it distinctly. It was NOT a viss he needed to stay in the U.S. It was a travel visa. Those are much easier to obtain. He misled the Jazz. I have NEVER heard of any other player taking off on a practice day to take care of vacation matters.

15. MVP

MVP Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Are you a Russian citizen and know how easy it was for them to obtain travel visas? Point remains - he scheduled appointment for that visa interview way before playoffs even started and did not miss any games because of that. He was excused from practice - big deal, you guys blowing it out of proportion.
    I had similar experience back in 2000 when I visited USA first time. I needed to book my interview with consulate 3 month in advance - and if you missed that appointment you needed to reschedule again in 3 month or so. You Americans have no clue how difficult sometimes was to go through visa processes in some countries when you are from former USSR.

16. MVP

MVP Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Boozer was amazing against Yao and Rockets and in some way vs GSW yet he was super ineffective vs Lakers or Spurs. If anything we can blame him more for playing way below his level in those series than AK.

17. jom2003

jom2003 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2014
    For the record Rudy is already the best center in Jazz's franchise history.

18. gregbroncs

gregbroncs Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    To me he didn't do enough. As I said before total stats when he played that long mean little to nothing to me. What was his impact on winning and how far did the team go with that impact. They lucked into the WCF, that's the best they did and he wasn't the best player or even the 3rd best player on that team. When he was the best player or close to it they barely made the playoffs. I liked AK, was my favorite player on the roster for 3-4 years, but he doesn't deserve his number retired.

19. Jingled

Jingled Well-Known Member 2019 Award Winner

May 23, 2018
    I agree 100%. Deron, Boozer and Memo are all more deserving than AK.

Ostertag>Duncan and Ron Mexico like this.
  20. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Well-Known Member Contributor

May 26, 2010
    Yep, he had some struggles at times. Still far bigger factor in those series and more important to our team than AK.

Ostertag>Duncan likes this.