infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner

A couple tidbits:

Will he pay the luxury tax?

"Well, we're in the luxury tax so that answers that question."
So this reveals that, at least publicly, he’s saying he’ll pay tax. Second, it confirms where we actually are as there’s been some uncertainty.

For the Aussies:
”I hope that the Jazz are Australia's team from here on out," Smith said.

I’m curious, is he the youngest owner in the league? I can’t think of any younger. Is he about 40?

I listened to 15 mins of the interview, was really good. Probably is posted at 1280 the zone website.

The Rayjon Tucker deal will never make sense.
It didn’t make sense originally (from hindsight) based on the claims. We had obvious needs (a backup 5 we could have grabbed on a minimum), but we argued that this was a shrewd move because we were asset-poor and this was our loophole for getting the equivalent of a late first rounder. Instead we used two assets just to offload him, and ignored obvious immediate needs.

But I do wonder how much the sale not being official influenced decisions. I guess I’ll roll with my GM of the week theory.

It didn’t make sense originally (from hindsight) based on the claims. We had obvious needs (a backup 5 we could have grabbed on a minimum), but we argued that this was a shrewd move because we were asset-poor and this was our loophole for getting the equivalent of a late first rounder. Instead we used two assets just to offload him, and ignored obvious immediate needs.

But I do wonder how much the sale not being official influenced decisions. I guess I’ll roll with my GM of the week theory.
Sorry... I didn’t mean that we wouldn’t be able to come up with plausible sounding theories that attempt to make sense of that deal. I just meant that I think the deal will likely always remain a very strange and ultimately too non-transparent moment that will leave us with mere theories.

Sorry... I didn’t mean that we wouldn’t be able to come up with plausible sounding theories that attempt to make sense of that deal. I just meant that I think the deal will likely always remain a very strange and ultimately too non-transparent moment that will leave us with mere theories.
Yeah, it’s silly. But I think how strange it is overshadows the original strangeness of us obtaining him, especially when you thread it through to its conclusion.

Seems like we owe Mrs Smith a bunch of flowers as Ryan Smith was initially planning on buying Timberwolves.