What's new

At the 1/4 Season Mark, How Are We Doing?

Ferguson_Mellochill

2019 Prediction Contest Winner
I mean just watch Suns versus the Warriors tonight and compare their game to the Jazz. I think it's pretty clear to see how we are doing and what we are still lacking.

They played with a playoff level of speed, intensity and physicality. I think most of our guys are pretty familiar with it. They should all be able to keep up, at least with the exception of Joe. This is the type of game that made Georges Niang completely useless. It would be really cool if the Jazz had a long, athletic defender on the wing, someone who is just plain bigger and longer than Royce. Maybe Rudy Gay is going to do that for us. Otherwise, it's the Jerami Grant archetype.

Keep an eye on Trent Forrest being the Jazz's version of Gary Payton II when the playoffs role around. Tough defense with an occasional surprising offensive play.

Last edited:

Jingled

2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
They played with a playoff level of speed, intensity and physicality. I think most of our guys are pretty familiar with it. They should all be able to keep up, at least with the exception of Joe. This is the type of game that made Georges Niang completely useless. It would be really cool if the Jazz had a long, athletic defender on the wing, someone who is just plain bigger and longer than Royce. Maybe Rudy Gay is going to do that for us. Otherwise, it's the Jerami Grant archetype.

Keep an eye on Trent Forrest being the Jazz's version of Gary Payton II when the playoffs role around. Tough defense with an occasional surprising offensive play.

I would honestly be shocked if Forrest is in the rotation in the playoffs. I mean he can only get on the floor for 4 or 5 minutes a night during the regular season and the only reason he's even getting those minutes is to try and save some wear and tear on Mike and keep his minutes a little lower.

Last edited:

jom2003

Compete different players. Mentioned in the other thread. Payton II is more like a Bruce Brown type pseudo-guard who operates like a forward. Grabbing rebounds and hustling near the restricted area. Forrest is a true point guard who works best with the ball in his hand. He's even taken the ball-handling duty away from Butler during garbage time

Last edited:

jom2003

I would honestly be shocked if Forrest is in the rotation in the playoffs. I mean he can only get on the floor for 4 or 5 minutes a night during the regular season.
Forrestt is getting the early Niang treatment from Quin right now. Basically a carbon copy of Niang's early days in a jazz uniform. Everyone were like "what the hell is this guy doing on floor" then slowly witness the guy becoming a serviceable backup as his minutes trend up over the years.

Ferguson_Mellochill

I would honestly be shocked if Forrest is in the rotation in the playoffs. I mean he can only get on the floor for 4 or 5 minutes a night during the regular season and the only reason he's even getting those minutes is to try and save some wear and tear on Mike and keep his minutes a little lower.

With Royce out the past couple of games, Forrest has played some more minutes and picked up defensive assignments on bigger guards.

Jingled

2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
With Royce out the past couple of games, Forrest has played some more minutes and picked up defensive assignments on bigger guards.

Right, but Royce will be back for the playoffs. After watching the way Quin handles his rotations over the years I just don't believe that Forrest will see the floor in the playoffs.

Agent#00

not so confident. our losses exposed our weakness

vs Heat they shot over our undersized guards all night. 2nd game same strategy except no butler. we didn't adjust. both L

vs Indiana they out rebounded us 53-37. their bigs was shooting 3s.

vs pelicans, the most disinterested game I have ever seen. we were lost, ball hogging all night. they had 27 assist compared to ours 17. they don't even have Zion

vs Orlando we shot 19% from 3. DM was 2/12, JC 2/11, sometimes you need to know it's not your day.

and we haven't played small ball yet

NAOS

Right, but Royce will be back for the playoffs. After watching the way Quin handles his rotations over the years I just don't believe that Forrest will see the floor in the playoffs.
He shouldn’t be in the playoff rotation. But we need to develop him—and Butler!—in case either are needed at that time.

campaignist

Slightly disappointed but not terribly surprised. Missing Gay for the first part of the season hurt, and I think his presence will help a lot more as time goes on. I really want Paschall to keep getting minutes, maybe even
being on the floor with Gay. Mitchell and JC need to have better shot selection, but I think that will resolve itself. The real disappointment has been Quin's inflexibility and resistance to trying new things, like bringing
Royce off the bench, and a lack of creativity in the offense.

Otherwise, most of the structural problems the team has had for years are still there. Not enough length and size, poor perimeter D, etc. Sad to say it, but I am no longer under any illusion that this is a title or Finals team.
The ceiling is the WCF, which I think is doable. They're one solid upgrade away from raising that ceiling, and even then I'm not sure that would work.

Ferguson_Mellochill

I'm looking at tickets available for upcoming games, and there are a lot--I mean a lot--of people selling their tickets. Not sure why. Either fans are disenchanted with the team, or the vax mandate is pissing people off, or both.