What's new

At the 1/4 Season Mark, How Are We Doing?

I would honestly be shocked if Forrest is in the rotation in the playoffs. I mean he can only get on the floor for 4 or 5 minutes a night during the regular season and the only reason he's even getting those minutes is to try and save some wear and tear on Mike and keep his minutes a little lower.

With Royce out the past couple of games, Forrest has played some more minutes and picked up defensive assignments on bigger guards.

With Royce out the past couple of games, Forrest has played some more minutes and picked up defensive assignments on bigger guards.

Right, but Royce will be back for the playoffs. After watching the way Quin handles his rotations over the years I just don't believe that Forrest will see the floor in the playoffs.

not so confident. our losses exposed our weakness

vs Heat they shot over our undersized guards all night. 2nd game same strategy except no butler. we didn't adjust. both L

vs Indiana they out rebounded us 53-37. their bigs was shooting 3s.

vs pelicans, the most disinterested game I have ever seen. we were lost, ball hogging all night. they had 27 assist compared to ours 17. they don't even have Zion

vs Orlando we shot 19% from 3. DM was 2/12, JC 2/11, sometimes you need to know it's not your day.

and we haven't played small ball yet

Right, but Royce will be back for the playoffs. After watching the way Quin handles his rotations over the years I just don't believe that Forrest will see the floor in the playoffs.
He shouldn’t be in the playoff rotation. But we need to develop him—and Butler!—in case either are needed at that time.

Slightly disappointed but not terribly surprised. Missing Gay for the first part of the season hurt, and I think his presence will help a lot more as time goes on. I really want Paschall to keep getting minutes, maybe even
being on the floor with Gay. Mitchell and JC need to have better shot selection, but I think that will resolve itself. The real disappointment has been Quin's inflexibility and resistance to trying new things, like bringing
Royce off the bench, and a lack of creativity in the offense.

Otherwise, most of the structural problems the team has had for years are still there. Not enough length and size, poor perimeter D, etc. Sad to say it, but I am no longer under any illusion that this is a title or Finals team.
The ceiling is the WCF, which I think is doable. They're one solid upgrade away from raising that ceiling, and even then I'm not sure that would work.

I'm looking at tickets available for upcoming games, and there are a lot--I mean a lot--of people selling their tickets. Not sure why. Either fans are disenchanted with the team, or the vax mandate is pissing people off, or both.

I'm looking at tickets available for upcoming games, and there are a lot--I mean a lot--of people selling their tickets. Not sure why. Either fans are disenchanted with the team, or the vax mandate is pissing people off, or both.

Sweet. Means I can probably get seats cheaper. Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Rats escaping a sinking ship! It means the team is ready to implode and start all over! They will soon trade DM and Gobert for 2nd round picks, then use those picks to offload Doke!! Holy ****!!

If Jamal Murray comes back for Denver and Kawhi comes back for the Clippers, we could be looking at some dangerous teams in the 6 - 8 seeds in the West this year.

If Jamal Murray comes back for Denver and Kawhi comes back for the Clippers, we could be looking at some dangerous teams in the 6 - 8 seeds in the West this year.
Best get that 4th seed.

I think people don't really have interest right now tbh. It's basically the same roster we've had for 3 years with a few adjustments here and there, and after 2 seasons of disappointing playoff performances, why should we hope to see different results this year?

I'm casually following the team but tbh the most interesting thing about the team right now is seeing how Rudy Gay is integrated. I think there are a lot of fans who won't get excited until we get past the 2nd round. This team is giving me big early / mid 2010 hawks vibes.

I think people don't really have interest right now tbh. It's basically the same roster we've had for 3 years with a few adjustments here and there, and after 2 seasons of disappointing playoff performances, why should we hope to see different results this year?

I'm casually following the team but tbh the most interesting thing about the team right now is seeing how Rudy Gay is integrated. I think there are a lot of fans who won't get excited until we get past the 2nd round. This team is giving me big early / mid 2010 hawks vibes.
I am kind of in this boat. I think we should be better than last year, but I do not think we did anything to significantly move the needle and so we are likely headed to another 2nd round loss because of glaring weaknesses other teams can easily exploit that the FO just refuses to acknowledge or address in any meaningful way. I will enjoy the wins, but I absolutely do not expect us to reach the finals. I think last year was our single best chance, and injuries derailed that. We might pull it together, but when we see bottom-feeder teams do what the Clippers did to us in the playoffs last year and see the exact same success, well that doesn't exactly build up any confidence in this team doing any better against the big boys of the league who can play that way night in and night out.

Okay, but that doesn't necessarily explain why people bought their tickets in the first place and are now re-selling them.

Okay, but that doesn't necessarily explain why people bought their tickets in the first place and are now re-selling them.
Depends on when they bought them. If they bought their tickets months ago and were excited at the time and then their excitement lessened once the season got rolling then that might explain it.
Maybe they bought the tickets with the hopes of seeing Butler and then realized they would only be seeing forest. I kid

So I never did answer the original question...

The things I want to see are more intangible in nature. We can point to our biggest problem being perimeter defense but I think it's deeper than that. It's also effort and focus. It's playing like we've been embarrassed the past two off-seasons and like we have something to prove, playing like we're going to have more determination and drive not to have the disappointing collapses and half-assed efforts that got us into those situations. The collective play of the players has been uninspiring. The coaching staff's ability to keep people engaged enough to care has shown no improvement. Our words say one thing about our insight of our collective collapses of the past two years, but our behaviors haven't demonstrated any evidence of that belief. Instead of being able to appeal to evidence of such progress, we default to "everybody does it" or "it happens to the best of them." We rationalize how bad games will be had and that seasons are long. We reference tough travel schedules, limited practice time, and guys not being able to sleep on their own pillows. We're talking about those things for a reasons... because we're having to rationalize away significant failures of the eye test. Though we appeal to all these scheduling nuances out of one side of our mouth, the other side is breathing hot air about how teams like the Suns and the Warriors have had cake schedules. I'm sorry, but an 18 game win streak is an 18 game win streak. I don't care how much someone wants to downplay how inferior their schedule is or was, our franchise has never done that. If we qualify other teams' success with "teh schedule!" then what does this say about our schedule and losing to the behemoths of the Orlando Magic, Memphis Grizzlies, and New Orleans Pelicans. Yeah, PHX and GSW are "beating up on easy teams." It's not even the record. I don't care that we're in third. It's the focus and the effort. Right now it's at status quo. It's like having a game coming down to a possession with 2.3 seconds on the clock coming out of a timeout and we're somehow going to end up with a contested Donovan 30-footer that's off-balance and fading away. Sure, it could go in. But it's not exactly the shot I'd like and it isn't giving us the best chance. Last year we could have won it all. We had the equivalent of a Donovan 30 footer that's off balance and fading away... we could have won but the chance we gave ourselves was pretty poor. This year we will/are rationalizing ourselves by saying we're definitely there and could pull it off, just like any game where you've got the ball and a chance to win with 2.3 seconds left is a game you can win. So we can definitely do it, and if we do it by Donovan's off-balanced 30-footer that's contested while fading away, then we will have won despite a bad look and not because of it.

I think we're in the game. I just think we're being a little dense about not understanding why we're not putting ourselves in a situation to get up the best shot.

That's where I see us being at, and that's where all of the evidence of the mental and emotional components, as well as coaching issues, is pointing. But it's always going to look good because technically we'll have been in a situation to win it, even if/when the horrible shot doesn't fall.

- Boring Jazz season... I still watch all of our games, but sometimes I've f got to force myself to do it...
- Nothing points out to a better season finale than the last 2 ones....
- Watching lots of non Jazz NBA ball games...