What's new

At what point is it time to get concerned about Hayward?

50-47 isn't getting out-rebounded thoroughly. your correct. I'd argue the discrepancy was enough to affect the games outcome though, most can agree the Jazz need to win the rebounding differential decisively to be most effective.. I mentioned it during the game, in the game thread. Didn't post that after examining the box-scores, obviously.

There's standard variety rebounds, that I like to (and many others) like to call In-area rebounds, and then there's out-of-area rebounds that hustle players(often with long arms)grab.. The Jazz with Favors and Gobert are outstanding at limiting teams out-of-area rebounds that are around the rim, so when teams are doing that - It's a problem.... I thought in that 1st preseason game, with the starters, the Blazers were grabbing too many out-of-area rebounds, particularly Ed Davis.

Same as the preseason game vs OKC - Steven Adams was grabbng too many out-of-area boards, It's really not a big deal, it's not an indicator - just one of those things I like to keep an eye on.

You mentioned it is this thread, TODAY and you clearly referenced the last preseason game when we didn't even have starters playing (it is the preseason anyway, not a great indicator by any means, but especially when we have three starters out). The rebounding did not make the difference. The difference was when we were up by 20+ with over a quarter remaining Snyder gave some love to the scrubs who were about to get cut. Portland played their starters for the rest of the game and we lost, period.

So seriously, WTF are you talking about and what exactly are you keeping an eye on? Clearly you don't know, and from your logic, or lack thereof it is not surprising. Please, please, please---just stop.

Your ability to analyze what is happening in these games is perplexing at best. The last game against the Blazers in the preseason should not even be a discussion. Their starters against our scrubs. Favors, Hayward and Gobert all sat out this game, and the majority of the playing time in the fourth quarter went to players that were cut, or will likely not get any time in tonight's game.

To be honest, the whole premise of this thread is flawed IMO. Sure, he has been off a bit, and he seems to be forcing the addition of a power game, but it should pay dividends when he fully adds it to his arsenal. Hayward's stats are not that much worse than last year when taking into account adjustments to his playing time, at least not to the point of worrying by any means (his overall usage rate down 4%, shooting 5 fewer shots a game, playing fewer minutes), which is expected with Burks back and Hood's usage rate going up. Gordon also seems to have a ramp up time each year to get into optimum efficiency. I don't care if Hayward does not average 20 PPG if it includes him getting more rest and we are winning games. He was overused last year, and I think Snyder realized it. If we are going to make a playoff push, we will need Hayward in peak condition to compete, and we will need Burks and Hood to gain confidence from more usage.

Of all the issues I see with the team right now, Hayward is not one of them.

THIS exactly discussion over, close the thread. Stop b1tc8ing about our best player, he's playing fine and the team is winning.

I hope to see Hayward dropping 20 on Al Farouq Aminu tonight, Aminu has been playing really well for Portland thus far..

I also want to see how he holds up on the boards.. In that last preseason game vs the Blazers they out-rebounded the Jazz thoroughly

Close..

You mentioned it is this thread, TODAY and you clearly referenced the last preseason game when we didn't even have starters playing (it is the preseason anyway, not a great indicator by any means, but especially when we have three starters out). The rebounding did not make the difference. The difference was when we were up by 20+ with over a quarter remaining Snyder gave some love to the scrubs who were about to get cut. Portland played their starters for the rest of the game and we lost, period.

So seriously, WTF are you talking about and what exactly are you keeping an eye on? Clearly you don't know, and from your logic, or lack thereof it is not surprising. Please, please, please---just stop.

The Trailblazers just out-rebounded the Jazz by 8...

Really? How can you tell this after just three games? Tell us more Dr. Lecter.

Oh...I don't know...by watching them?

Went to tonights game, watched Gordon warm up, watched him in time outs, watched him on the bench and having a heated discussion with Rudy after a play. What is your basis for your opinion, Mr. Linguist?

I love GH and have been a huge fan through thick and thin since day one, but I've never seen him look so down on confidence.

Was thinking Hay was gonna break 20 tonight with 17 thru 3q's, good game regardless.

12 pt 4th Q though.. Still it's a Victory vs a playoff team.

Question; Does this team need Hayward to score 20 to reach 100??

Was thinking Hay was gonna break 20 tonight with 17 thru 3q's, good game regardless.

12 pt 4th Q though.. Still it's a Victory vs a playoff team.

Question; Does this team need Hayward to score 20 to reach 100??

Probably. Keep in mind Hayward's 18 is equivalent to 20 on a normal pace team (the Jazz are last in pace by a wide margin).

He's just warming up folks. He's also had some back issues he's just now getting over. God will be fine.

Really thought he was going for 20 last night. Lebron had 5 points in the first half, then the script got flipped.

Kinda figured the Jazz would score 100, or Hayward would score 20 last night... In the first 2 Q's, when he had Richard Jefferson guarding him he was doing damage..

I have a theory or question, I guess. Now, I know, this might be a little over the top...

So Gordy hasn't been that sharp this season, well, like he was last season. Last season dude was ****ing clutch. I always had faith in him. This year, not so much. Do you think now that he got married and had his first child his drive is gone? Is there any connection there? You know, most folks, men especially, in the aggregate, just get ****ing soft once they get married and have kids. It's like they married the love of their life, they have a child and now life is complete.

I have a theory or question, I guess. Now, I know, this might be a little over the top...

So Gordy hasn't been that sharp this season, well, like he was last season. Last season dude was ****ing clutch. I always had faith in him. This year, not so much. Do you think now that he got married and had his first child his drive is gone? Is there any connection there? You know, most folks, men especially, in the aggregate, just get ****ing soft once they get married and have kids. It's like they married the love of their life, they have a child and now life is complete.

If that's true then I'm really happy for him. :D

I just think he is in an early season funk. I mean, he is having dominant 1st halves. Teams are adjusting to him in the 2nd half and it's allowing Burks to have dominant 2nd halves. I think the more chemistry Burks/Hayward build together (Burks needs to start now) they will learn to play off each other and both be more consistent for 48 minutes.

There's no reason for concern, Hayward looks better than ever. He's clearly way better than Carmelo so his salary is more than justified. I still hope he doesn't try to run the price up on the next contract, if he plays like this the Jazz will be at his mercy though..

It's good to see the vets are holding down the fort while Rudy's recovering, and while Hood's 3pt shot is off.

Hayward's stats so far in December;

22, 5.5, 5 and 2 stls on 54%shooting and 54% from 3. Also he's drawing almost half as many FTA's as FGA's --- There's nothing to complain about.

Flame away.