What's new

Game Thread Aug 10, 2020: Utah Jazz vs Dallas Mavericks

Added to Calendar: 08-10-20

I like what Tucker showed today. He's the most active defensively of anyone we have and he showed his athleticism today drawing fouls. If he can refine his game, I could see him being a pretty good rotation player. I like that he doesnt settle for too many bad looks (Oni's biggest problem is that he just doesnt recognize what's in front of him and doesnt have scoring ability at all)

It's kind of shocking watching just how significant the difference between NBA bench warmers and g-league superstars is.

Tucker is another one I can do without seeing in Jazz uniform ever again.

It's quite possible we don't have anyone past Bradley, Oni and Clarkson that is playable in the playoffs off-the-bench. And even with some of those it's a question.

Horrible, horrible bench.

It's kind of shocking watching just how significant the difference between NBA bench warmers and g-league superstars is.

It's quite possible we don't have anyone past Bradley, Oni and Clarkson that is playable in the playoffs off-the-bench. And even with some of those it's a question.

Bradley is young and looking a bit better in the past few games.

2nd year jumps for these guys will help them as players and will help the team. They will burn hot and cold and erratic during their first year.

I actually liked Tucker today and I've mostly disliked him throughout the season.

Just watched the last 7 minutes. I don't think Mudiay will be back next year. He has regressed a lot after playing decent basketball earlier in the season. In one posession he held the ball for about 20 seconds before launching a highly contested 3.

Tucker clearly outplayed Oni today, but carry on.

Tucker clearly outplayed Oni today, but carry on.
Oni didn't play great this game, but he's shown much better ability to fit into the team in earlier games.

Tucker either plays out of control(today) or is a record-scratch. He has no NBA skill besides having NBA athleticism, which he cannot utilize fully, again - because of the lack of skill, shooting, basketball IQ, etc. How many times is he going to try to barrell into a rim protector and hope he gets the foul? How frequently do we expect him to actually get a call on those against NBA playoff-rotational players and in the playoffs. He plays with hustle but IMO that's not enough.

Weird timing to knock Tucker, he actually played well for once lol.
I don't think he played particularly well... he got several calls that he won't get in a playoff game. It was probably his best game so far, but even this should tell you something - even in his best game he still didn't show how he will be able to fit in a playoff rotation.

Just watched the last 7 minutes. I don't think Mudiay will be back next year. He has regressed a lot after playing decent basketball earlier in the season. In one posession he held the ball for about 20 seconds before launching a highly contested 3.
Yep, Mudiay doesn't look like a playoff rotational player, either. This was another disappointment for me. I was hoping with so many chances some of those bench warmers and g-leaguers will earn some playoff minutes, but IMO it just shows that Quin actually knows his stuff and the lack of opportunities so far has more to do with them not being ready/good enough to actually deserve those chances.

Overall, it really stinks when you use the few resources you have left after the initial FA/trade season(2019) on 3 players that probably won't even sniff the floor in the playoffs(Ed Davis, Jeff Green, Mudiay)...

They all have skills, but need lots of development. There's only of very tiny spots for this playoff. Everyone one on the bench is going to get screwed .

His regression is so sad to me. He was looking like a solid backup that would be hard to retain. Now he looks like he'd be too easy to retain. I hope he gets it back together.

I agree that I don't want to see him in a playoff rotation right now but I think he showed something today that could lead to being a reliable role player down the road.
Sure... I guess I won't mind that. Maybe with another year of development in the system he will improve. It's not like we have tons of talent pushing for spots coming from the g-league/deep bench. I don't mind him being one of those long-shots.

Stitches comes in here to play Debbie Downer on a bunch of rookies who’ve barely competed in 4.5 months.

:fistbump:

I like what Tucker showed today. He's the most active defensively of anyone we have and he showed his athleticism today drawing fouls. If he can refine his game, I could see him being a pretty good rotation player. I like that he doesnt settle for too many bad looks (Oni's biggest problem is that he just doesnt recognize what's in front of him and doesnt have scoring ability at all)
I've said if Oni possessed Trevion Bluiett's shooting touch, we would have a big-time rotation player

Yep, Mudiay doesn't look like a playoff rotational player, either. This was another disappointment for me. I was hoping with so many chances some of those bench warmers and g-leaguers will earn some playoff minutes, but IMO it just shows that Quin actually knows his stuff and the lack of opportunities so far has more to do with them not being ready/good enough to actually deserve those chances.

Overall, it really stinks when you use the few resources you have left after the initial FA/trade season(2019) on 3 players that probably won't even sniff the floor in the playoffs(Ed Davis, Jeff Green, Mudiay)...
Mudiay didn't cost much and it was a one year deal.

Tucker reminds me of DeShawm Stevenson. The mechanics on his jumper are almost the same.

Hard nosed defender with athletic ability but limited innate offensive ability which will get exposed at this level.

He could stick in the league for a few years if he maintains a good attitude and work ethic. But l wouldn't expect much other than fringe rotation player.