What's new

Game Thread Aug 10, 2020: Utah Jazz vs Dallas Mavericks

Added to Calendar: 08-10-20

I don't think he played particularly well... he got several calls that he won't get in a playoff game. It was probably his best game so far, but even this should tell you something - even in his best game he still didn't show how he will be able to fit in a playoff rotation.

Except that he knocked down 3s, was aggressive on offense and defense and made some great passes all while playing with a high motor.

But other than that...

Oni didn't play great this game, but he's shown much better ability to fit into the team in earlier games.

Tucker either plays out of control(today) or is a record-scratch. He has no NBA skill besides having NBA athleticism, which he cannot utilize fully, again - because of the lack of skill, shooting, basketball IQ, etc. How many times is he going to try to barrell into a rim protector and hope he gets the foul? How frequently do we expect him to actually get a call on those against NBA playoff-rotational players and in the playoffs. He plays with hustle but IMO that's not enough.
Maybe, but he also is an actual elite athlete and he is going to draw fouls just by that virtue. Kleiber got lucky he blocked that dunk attempt cleanly.

The biggest thing is that he goes to the rim and actually plays with some kind of intensity on both ends.

Guess I'll not bother watching when I get home. Bring on the playoffs!

I thought Brantley looked okay in the first half. He's okay when he doesn't try to do too much. In the 2nd half with the all-bench line-up, he didn't look like he knew what to do.

I wonder how the NBA is feeling about starting a season so everyone could tank? This makes no sense to me. Go play basketball and try and win some games. We are the underdog in any first round match up we get. Just play basketball!

I can name a handful of Hall of Famers with a flaw in their game. I can name lots of really good players that show up on the scouting report. I think Paul Pierce was stiff and not super athletic but heck he was a darn good player. So makes it work for a player? You fill a need, you work with the coaches, you listen, you learn fast, and you get better. I see that happening for to 2 or three of our young players if things go perfectly...

I wonder how the NBA is feeling about starting a season so everyone could tank? This makes no sense to me. Go play basketball and try and win some games. We are the underdog in any first round match up we get. Just play basketball!
We needed to find new combinations and rotations. I think that’s pretty obvious when Mudiay might be your 7th guy and playing at the wing. That’s ain’t right.

Finding new wrinkles means letting a lot of dudes blast off 4.5 minutes of rust. With the benefit that our best players can get fresh for the playoffs.

In short, I really don’t dig your complaint.

The thing that intrigues me about Tucker is how he got to the foul line today. He was 8/9 in 28 mins. That's encouraging.

We needed to find new combinations and rotations. I think that’s pretty obvious when Mudiay might be your 7th guy and playing at the wing. That’s ain’t right.

Finding new wrinkles means letting a lot of dudes blast off 4.5 minutes of rust. With the benefit that our best players can get fresh for the playoffs.

In short, I really don’t dig your complaint.
I am all for giving bench guys minutes and sliding them in and out to see what they can do. I love giving young guys a chance. You can do that without throwing a game. This is ridiculous.. JUST play the game!

I am all for giving bench guys minutes and sliding them in and out to see what they can do. I love giving young guys a chance. You can do that without throwing a game. This is ridiculous.. JUST play the game!
There aren’t enough minutes or reps for the deeper bench guys if they are out there stuck in the corner. The Jazz did the right thing.

There aren’t enough minutes or reps for the deeper bench guys if they are out there stuck in the corner. The Jazz did the right thing.
This is particularly true if you believe (as I do) that matchups don't really matter that much to this team. I think any of the potential series are going to be equally tough, we really need to unlock something from our bench to have a chance to beat any of them.

This is particularly true if you believe (as I do) that matchups don't really matter that much to this team. I think any of the potential series are going to be equally tough, we really need to unlock something from our bench to have a chance to beat any of them.
Totally this

The thing that intrigues me about Tucker is how he got to the foul line today. He was 8/9 in 28 mins. That's encouraging.
He's a wind him up and watch him go/ energy off the bench player. He attacks the basket without fear and hustles hard. Reminds me of Ronnie Price in some ways.

He's a wind him up and watch him go/ energy off the bench player. He attacks the basket without fear and hustles hard. Reminds me of Ronnie Price in some ways.
What I saw today and in some of his DLeague action is that he needs to work on his outside shot. He can jump out of the gym and is athletic as all get out. The coaches need to work on basketball IQ a little too.

Maybe, but he also is an actual elite athlete and he is going to draw fouls just by that virtue. Kleiber got lucky he blocked that dunk attempt cleanly.

The biggest thing is that he goes to the rim and actually plays with some kind of intensity on both ends.
That's the thing... when he plays with Mitchell and/or Conley and/or Clarkson and/or Ingles on the floor, he's not really going to have that many opportunities to drive to the rim. He's not going to have the ball in his hands. He will have to hit open shots and make good cuts. I haven't seen him do either of those things with any sort of consistency.

Mudiay didn't cost much and it was a one year deal.
Doesn't matter much. Jeff Green didn't cost much either. The point is that we spent roster spots and the MLE on them and we will very likely get close to zero minutes out of those 3 players in the playoffs.