What's new

Game Thread August 30, 2020: Nuggets at Jazz - Game 6

Added to Calendar: 08-30-20

this was part of my issue last night. We really went away from the Rudy PnR last night. 1st quarter had it rolling. At times we were extremely stagnant on offense.

It was so frustrating. I guess if you're gonna live by Clarkson chucking up everything, then you will also die by it. But damn, does Quin just have no power over the players getting into a set?

JC came in last night, hit a few quick ones. But his refusal to pass is really an issue, maximized when he can't make anything. I remember one play he jumped in the air to catch a ball. Ingles is right next to him open in the corner. Could easily just dump it to him, instead he landed, attempted to regain his balance. And jacked it up on his own. When he touches the ball he's shooting, almost always. Nothing else matters once he has it, it becomes "Will he make or miss this difficult shot that he is 100% about to chuck up. That just aint it in a playoff series. And we shouldn't expect to win playing that way. I get empowering the players and we have too many hesitant shooters as is. But really feels like there is a sweet spot here.

We have plenty of offensive series that we could do more with.

It was so frustrating. I guess if you're gonna live by Clarkson chucking up everything, then you will also die by it. But damn, does Quin just have no power over the players getting into a set?

JC came in last night, hit a few quick ones. But his refusal to pass is really an issue, maximized when he can't make anything. I remember one play he jumped in the air to catch a ball. Ingles is right next to him open in the corner. Could easily just dump it to him, instead he landed, attempted to regain his balance. And jacked it up on his own. When he touches the ball he's shooting, almost always. Nothing else matters once he has it, it becomes "Will he make or miss this difficult shot that he is 100% about to chuck up. That just aint it in a playoff series. And we shouldn't expect to win playing that way. I get empowering the players and we have too many hesitant shooters as is. But really feels like there is a sweet spot here.

We have plenty of offensive series that we could do more with.
I like JC... hope we keep him at a fair value. I would say he's worth $10M a year. If he was sucking and we had other options you can put him on the bench. I hope we don't overpay to keep him though.

Yes but Rudy is playing against the best big in the league, at least offensively. He can't help on everything. Everyone needs to step up. Mitch can get some slack for sure.
I'm not asking more of Rudy. I'm asking more of everyone else.

Jazz dug their grave when they extended Ingles till the age of 35, bogey till the age of 34, and traded for a 32 yr old Conley. We had a 22 year old superstar and... we went and got older? It was asinine. What the **** were Lindsay and Snyder thinking?

Look at what Denver did. They aligned the roster age to Jokic and Murray. Look at all of these young teams. And here we are peddling out unathletic old players.
A lot of players who have any talent get RFA signed by the same team and by the time their 2nd contract is done they can be around 30. The Ingles argument is valid (though he does have good trade value), as is the Conley argument, but the Bojan signing is a daaaaamn good signing. We signed him for way less than a guy like Tobias and Bogey beat expectations which says a lot.

Bogey doesn't depend on his athletic ability as much as other players - as long as he can shoot and doesn't become a gimp he'll be a contributer at 34.

We’ve packed it in, guys. Where are all those Conley Bros who were taking victory laps? .

Our defense is ****ing feckless.

Still here. Conley has been great all series. He's not why we lost the last two games.

I'm not asking more of Rudy. I'm asking more of everyone else.

Rudy has been pretty poor the last few games if I'm being honest.

An example that stuck out to me from game 6 was late in the first qtr or early in the 2nd. It was late shot clock. Jokic was off the floor. Murray has the ball 30+ feet from the hoop. Rudy doesn't even go out to contest. Murray hits an open late shot clock 3. Just not focused.

We need Rudy and Royce to be much better defensively. We need the whole team to be. But those two in particular since they are the heart of the defense.

Jazz dug their grave when they extended Ingles till the age of 35, bogey till the age of 34, and traded for a 32 yr old Conley. We had a 22 year old superstar and... we went and got older? It was asinine. What the **** were Lindsay and Snyder thinking?

Look at what Denver did. They aligned the roster age to Jokic and Murray. Look at all of these young teams. And here we are peddling out unathletic old players.
Good post but we were hitting a few wide open shots away from
beating Houston last year.

Personally I think this team lacks any sort of toughness, mentally and physically and that's really their biggest flaw. This series would be over if they possessed any. They played tough a game or two, but being up 15 and letting refs get into their heads(Ingles confession) was the turning point. They haven't played right consistently since.

Not to mention terrible off the court chemistry.

Tough loss. Perimeter defense was a problem for much of the series, but part of it may have been the short bench and the amount of energy that guys had to expend.

Mitchell was drawing the entire focus of Denver's defense. This would have been a great game for Conley to step up and hit some 3s.

is tonight's 2-13 shooting considered part of the "all series"? had he even hit 3-13, it'd be us playing the Clippers. It's not too much to ask from a guy who's paid 30mil a year.

I have to agree. He should have found a way to score late in the game.