What's new

Beating the Lakers

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
So we can compete with a lot of teams and can see a path for victory in a 7 game series with a lot of teams, but the Lakers are still a huge question mark. We have yet to play them, but a 7-game series would be really tough, I think. One nice thing is that they don't have small guards on the perimeter who will eat us alive. But we do have a weakness for guarding bigger wings and obviously have nobody to put on LeBron. You can default Royce, but LeBron is much bigger. I suppose you may have to throw Bojan on there in the same way that Bojan goes up against Zion, which certainly isn't great, but also doesn't end up being as terrible as one would superficially assume.

I don't know how much they're playing Harrell and AD together, but that may really be the time for breaking out the Favors/Gobert combo and I'd put Favors down low on Harrell to do more outmuscling of him and have Gobert worry about just doing man-to-man with AD because I think he'd handle that a lot better with someone more competent manning the paint than what we had last year. Just let Gobert's length bother him, rather than trying to have Gobert both cover the basket plus guard AD. Playing Gasol/AD will make that more difficult, but Gasol is getting about 19 mpg.

I think the largest thing this goes down to, and our most realistic window, is if we were just ceding their 2s in exchange for our 3s. We'd have to be on, though. This could go south fast if we're mentally intimidated and can't throw it in the ocean.

Obviously, the key is whether the Jazz can defend Lebron and Anthony Davis both at the same time. The rest of their players aren't really special.

I have no idea how he's been doing this year, but the Lakers have Dennis Schroeder now and he's had some pretty big games against us in the past.

We also used to play very well against AD with Gobert+Favors lineups, but Lebron being there is obviously a huge difference between AD on the Pelicans and AD on the Lakers. If I remember right we used to put Favors on AD and Gobert on the other big man so Gobert could stay focused on protecting the paint instead of worrying about stopping AD 1v1. And Favors on AD with Gobert behind him at the rim is probably about as good defense on AD as any team can play. It might be tough to play that way when Gasol is in the game since he's competent enough on 3s that it would be hard for Gobert to lurk in the paint as a secondary defender on AD, but I think they could do it against Davis + Harrell lineups.

I don't think Favors+Gobert gives us a chance to beat the Lakers. They are a better defensive team than offensive team. We won't be able to score on them. It's basically guaranteeing the loss. The Lakers are a better team. We have to go the high variance route and try to outshoot them. They have a ton of streaky/questionable shooters that surround AD and LeBron. They just won a championship relying on those guys to make shots....but the path for a UTA victory is those guys missing shots.

Our defense is designed to take away the drive and kick game. We need to make some adjustments for the Lakers to pack the paint more and concede looks to shooters. We have a chance in a shooting contest against guys like KCP and Shroeder. We don't have a shot bogging things down with Favors+Gobert.

I'm not sure there is a personnel move that makes it work for us against the Lakers. I think if we are to have a hope in a playoff series that we need to be healthy and they need to be a little dinged up.

There are a few issues with the Lakers:

- Lebron - he's good at basketball.
- AD can play the 5 and shoot while protecting the rim... if he makes his threes we are kinda ****ed because we will get exposed inside if Rudy is out on him. Not sure the two big lineup changes this at all.
- They get a lot of fastbreak points... we tend to turn it over a lot.

When we get hot I think we can beat anyone but to be flaming hot for 4-5 out of 7 games is a tough ask. If you have some shooting an injury luck I think you have a chance.

Come playoff time, one of Lebron and AD will be out. And we will win cause Jazz will be healthy.

With both teams 100%, it's a hard task. Not impossible, but would require 3 of our 4 players to play better than their average AND AD or Lebron to be cold 4 of 7 games.

Our best bet is another team (looking at the Clippers) beating them if we’re talking playoffs.

The big problem with the Lakers is that our best chance of defending them is via a different combo of players and substitutions than Q will use in the regular season. And we’ve seen how postseason adjustments have gone. So....

I don't think Favors+Gobert gives us a chance to beat the Lakers. They are a better defensive team than offensive team. We won't be able to score on them. It's basically guaranteeing the loss. The Lakers are a better team. We have to go the high variance route and try to outshoot them. They have a ton of streaky/questionable shooters that surround AD and LeBron. They just won a championship relying on those guys to make shots....but the path for a UTA victory is those guys missing shots.

Our defense is designed to take away the drive and kick game. We need to make some adjustments for the Lakers to pack the paint more and concede looks to shooters. We have a chance in a shooting contest against guys like KCP and Shroeder. We don't have a shot bogging things down with Favors+Gobert.
Agreed. Our best chance is to shoot over 40% from three on high volume as a team.