What's new

Bell to be Amnestied

If he's a distraction or the Jazz need the roster spot, he can be waived or bought out.
Some team might be willing to make a small amnesty bid for him (but not take on his whole salary in a trade). Maybe that cash is more valuable in the Jazz FO's eyes than Raja's salary-matching trade value. I don't disagree with you, and would hope the Jazz would be willing to eat the small amount Raja might get on an amnesty bid and hold out for a deal as long as possible, but maybe that's not the case. It's probably worth considering the effect of telling Raja to stay at home until he's dealt might have on the Jazz organization's reputation among players and agents.

There is no way KOC pulls the amnesty deal off until the last minute. He is very shrewed with these type of things. He likes to wait until the last possible minute to make his intentions known.

Unless there's a cancer and a message is better sent now than later ...........

Some team might be willing to make a small amnesty bid for him (but not take on his whole salary in a trade). Maybe that cash is more valuable in the Jazz FO's eyes than Raja's salary-matching trade value. I don't disagree with you, and would hope the Jazz would be willing to eat the small amount Raja might get on an amnesty bid and hold out for a deal as long as possible, but maybe that's not the case. It's probably worth considering the effect of telling Raja to stay at home until he's dealt might have on the Jazz organization's reputation among players and agents.
Telling him to stay at home might not sit well with the union, either.
But maybe that's not the case. Perhaps he comes back ready to contribute. Perhaps it depends on what other moves are made. I wouldn't count on Foster or Murphy to get regular minutes. So if the Jazz stand pat with their 2/3's and don't re-sign Howard or Miles, Bell could play some minutes.

Right now there are too many balls in play with Harris and Jefferson being shopped (at least we think they are).

We can use Bell to make a trade work, no point in having him amnestied until the trade deadline. It doesn't hurt the cap until the end of the season.

They can not amnesty him at the trade deadline it has to be done fairly soon. If they amnesty him it is solely because they do not want him around the rest of the team. That I understand. Even if they tell him he will not be active and will not dress. If he is on the roster he has a right to be in the building and at the practices and in training camp. I would not want that guy who is going to be a distraction around my team at this point.

send a message?

that's called cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Not really. It is called sending a message to the rest of your players and future players of your franchise.

However I see no reason that same message can not be sent at the deadline to amnesty players.

they're going to send a message when they do this on july 17th (you can only use the amnesty clause in the first 7 days following the july moratorium). telling a guy, "we're so over you that we're going to pay you $3.3M to go away" is sending a message whether you do it on june 30 or july 17.

but doing it on june 30 means you don't have 17 days to check your options and see if you can use him as part of something else, when it costs the jazz literally NOTHING to wait the 17 days. THAT is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

they're going to send a message when they do this on july 17th (you can only use the amnesty clause in the first 7 days following the july moratorium). telling a guy, "we're so over you that we're going to pay you $3.3M to go away" is sending a message whether you do it on june 30 or july 17.

but doing it on june 30 means you don't have 17 days to check your options and see if you can use him as part of something else, when it costs the jazz literally NOTHING to wait the 17 days. THAT is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Believe amnesty does not start til the 11th.

Didn't read thru the whole thread but if the Jazz is going to use the amnesty - and obviously on Bell as many would like to - why not maximize it. I mean be creative about it.

For example (this is just a wild proposal - no way realistic)
Al Jeferson, Bell and Jazz's own 2013 pick for Bobcats' Tyrus Thomas, Kemba Walker (or whoever Jazz like from that line up), 1st round 2014 draft pick and say 2015 second round pick.

Then amnesty or amnestify, whatever the verb is, Tyrus Thomas.

We get rid of Bell, get something for Al Jeff.
They get rid of Tyrus Thomas horrible contract, get a "decent" guard and a good low post player they need. Of course losing KWalker, for example, is the price to pay for that.

Didn't read thru the whole thread but if the Jazz is going to use the amnesty - and obviously on Bell as many would like to - why not maximize it. I mean be creative about it.

For example (this is just a wild proposal - no way realistic)
Al Jeferson, Bell and Jazz's own 2013 pick for Bobcats' Tyrus Thomas, Kemba Walker (or whoever Jazz like from that line up), 1st round 2014 draft pick and say 2015 second round pick.

Then amnesty or amnestify, whatever the verb is, Tyrus Thomas.

We get rid of Bell, get something for Al Jeff.
They get rid of Tyrus Thomas horrible contract, get a "decent" guard and a good low post player they need. Of course losing KWalker, for example, is the price to pay for that.

Can't amnesty a traded player.

I don't agree - I'm pretty sure that you can amnesty anyone on your roster, as long as their contract is older than the CBA.

Nope.

https://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q67

For a player to be eligible for the Amnesty provision he must be on his team's roster continuously from July 1, 2011 to the date he is amnestied, without any new contract, extension, renegotiation or other amendment to his contract in the meantime.

Send Bell to Memphis for Pargo. Tony Allen will have no problem straightening him out if he tries to pull that garbage he did with the Jazz. Pargo is expiring and only making 1 mil. A win win with bruised knuckles on Bells swollen head.