What's new

Best movies of 2012

Surprised Act if Valor didn't make lists... Not sure if it was 2013 but I think it was.

Also Pitch Perfect is hilarious! "Whoop there it is!"

I liked a good handful of movies this year actually.

Moonrise Kingdom was a charming little flick but the fact that it made anyone's favorite movie of the year is a testament to how bad films were this past year.

Wes Anderson's student film (Bottle Rocket) was better than Moonrise Kingdom.

Also, The Royal Tenenbaums, Steve Zissou, and Rushmore, IMO.

I like Wes Anderson, but Moonrise Kingdom was just okay.

Jack Reacher

This was probably my most disappointing movie all year. I really expected the Tom Cruisiest thing ever. Probably aimed too high. The only other contender for something that let me down this much was "Flight."

I enjoyed Avengers but it was pretty much garbage imo.

The Avengers is thoroughly disposable. And I'll probably watch the second one.

And I liked Cabin in the Woods but I'm not really sure how much.

Cabin was one of only movies all year I saw twice in theaters. Looper and Django also made that cut.

Seven Psychopaths.

I knew someone would remind me of something I forgot about. I loved Seven Psychopaths. I'd probably put it in at #9, slide Seeking a Friend down to 10 and dump Flowers of War.

I suspect Pitch Perfect does not speak to all ages equally.

Also, The Royal Tenenbaums, Steve Zissou, and Rushmore, IMO.

I like Wes Anderson, but Moonrise Kingdom was just okay.

Personally I preferred Moonrise Kingdom to all of those save Royal Tenenbaums. Royal Tenenbaums is just about perfect. Moonrise Kingdom reflects a certain kind of provincial innocence, oddness, and corruption that Anderson makes his stock in trade and I think it's the best version of that kind of story. Royal Tenenbaums is a different beast. I can't recount how many times I've rolled on the floor laughing while Gene Hackman guffaws about a father in a play always introducing his little girl as his step-daughter. That's a special kind of evil.

Surprised Act if Valor didn't make lists... Not sure if it was 2013 but I think it was.

Aca-excuse me!!!

I don't agree with your omission of The Master in the slightest. Without a doubt one of the best American films of the 21st Century.

I have doubts. :)

But seriously, I believe we've seen PTA's best work and it's in the rear view mirror.

And how did you see Holy Motors? Was it playing somewhere and I just missed it?

There was a very small release in October. I believe in Phoenix it only played for one week. It's worth hitting up when it gets to Netflix.

For those not familiar with the film the trailer is here. If anything, the trailer may undersell the uniqueness of the thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uuICidzey5c

Oh, and kudos on your lack of desire to see Lincoln. Do. Not. Bother.

As soon as I heard swelling strings in the preview I knew this was not made for me. I suspect I couldn't even be objective about it.

Moonrise Kingdom reflects a certain kind of provincial innocence, oddness, and corruption that Anderson makes his stock in trade

All true. But it doesn't dismiss the fact that the third act was a mess, Harvey Kietel and Tilda Swinton were wasted and the ending was more silly than sweet.

Not a bad movie at all - just not that good either.

Some under the radar movies I enjoyed .....

Carnage

A Separation

We Need to Talk About Kevin

All worth your time

I watched Moonrise Kingdom last night, well, most of it. I got tired and went to bed. I couldn't find any reason to finish it.

I simply need to avoid Wes Anderson movies. Nothing he has ever done has been worth my time. Nothing.

Not a bad movie at all - just not that good either.

This.

I did enjoy Moonrise Kingdom. I just like a few of his other films better. Although, if I'm honest with myself, MK is actually just as good as TLAw/ Steve Zissou. And it was a damn sight better than The Darjeeling Limited.

I liked Hit and Run, but I would hardly classify it as a quality film. Pretty flimsy story, but some sweet car action. The '67 Continental is bad-***.

I have doubts. :)

That's not just my opinion on The Master, but the opinion of most prestigious film scholars that don't usually look twice at American films. It's something I'd like to write a paper on some day.

But seriously, I believe we've seen PTA's best work and it's in the rear view mirror.

You're referring to Magnolia, yes? I'd be interested to hear why it's your favorite. I just love all of PTA's films and can't wait to see what else he comes up with; he hasn't been making films all that long.

There was a very small release in October. I believe in Phoenix it only played for one week. It's worth hitting up when it gets to Netflix.

I hate that it's so difficult to see good films as they come out. The Salt Lake Film Society does a good job of bringing in a variety of films to The Broadway in downtown SLC, but I don't ever remember Holy Motors being there. I'll definitely be jumping on the first chance I have to see it.

As soon as I heard swelling strings in the preview I knew this was not made for me. I suspect I couldn't even be objective about it.

I had the exact same reaction to the trailer. When it came out and was getting good reviews, my friend was like, "well, maybe we should give it a shot." We both hated it. It makes me cringe that so many American critics gave it positive feedback.

Oh, and I believe you mentioned that you liked Seven Psychopaths? I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard in theaters. But I felt like it started to fall apart in the last 20 minutes, or so. Overall, I really enjoyed it, but probably not as much as In Bruges.

I watched Moonrise Kingdom last night, well, most of it. I got tired and went to bed. I couldn't find any reason to finish it.

I simply need to avoid Wes Anderson movies. Nothing he has ever done has been worth my time. Nothing.

This is basically what everyone has told me based on watching Wes Anderson movies based on my very strong recommendation. To me it says more about them than it does about the absolute brilliance of Wes Anderson movies, sorry.