Best Places to Eat in Utah Thread

Beer

I’ve heard Saffron Valley is good, but have never been. Royal India is good (Sandy). The best is probably Kohinoor in Orem, though there’s a new Indian place in St. George that’d say is better.
Bombay House in Provo is really good but quite a bit more expensive than all the other Indian places around. There is also a Bombay House in Sugarhouse. Kohinoor in Orem is good. Red Fort in St George is awesome also. St George also has the best Thai place in the state. Benjas. So good.

Best Indian I've ever had by a wide wide margin was in Birmingham England though. Every place I went there was head and shoulders above anything I've had in the states.

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
Bombay House in Provo is really good but quite a bit more expensive than all the other Indian places around. There is also a Bombay House in Sugarhouse. Kohinoor in Orem is good. Red Fort in St George is awesome also. St George also has the best Thai place in the state. Benjas. So good.

Best Indian I've ever had by a wide wide margin was in Birmingham England though. Every place I went there was head and shoulders above anything I've had in the states.
We had a trip to the UK planned for April. Obviously, that didn't happen. I was very excited about the Indian food.

JazzGal

Contributor
You guys ever have Disco Fries? It’s brown gravy and cheese on fries. So good.
Isn't that called poutine?

Edit: Looked it up. "Disco Fries are an Americanized version of Poutine with mozzarella instead of cheese curds, and sometimes cheese on top of the gravy instead of under."

Ron Mexico

Contributor
Isn't that called poutine?

Edit: Looked it up. "Disco Fries are an Americanized version of Poutine with mozzarella instead of cheese curds, and sometimes cheese on top of the gravy instead of under."
Poutine is better. Those salty cheese curds are amazing.

checkbookdoc

Let me start off by saying that I am not a foodie. My reaction is same if dinner is a bowl of cereal, or a cup o'soup, or rice and beans, or lasagna, or pot roast, or grilled chicken, etc.). I enjoy a steak from Texas Road House as much as one from Ruth's Chris. I suppose the reason I'm not very discerning is because for most of my life I just didn't have very good cooks (mom was bad cook, army had bad cooks, wife was bad cook when we got married). Food is mostly just calories to me so it is fairly unusual for something to stand out to me but I appreciate when it does no matter what the item is. So, here are things I have actually noticed as good in Utah.
1) The sour cream and apple pie at The Dodo Restaurant in Sugar Park. This is the only dessert I have ever eaten that I would go out of my way to try again. I probably just caught them on a good night. I think I also like their black beans that night.
2) The pennette ala pera at Le Noni Italian Restaurant in Logan. One night in Logan my wife and I went to Le Noni and I ordered this pasta dish that had fresh pears in the sauce and five years later I still think about it. I live in NY so I get exposed to what I assume is fairly good level italian food. None of it stands out as much as that dish in Logan did.
3) Nielsen's Frozen Custard is the best I have ever tried and is a Utah original. I ate at the one in Bountiful, but there are others as well.

There is plenty of other good food in Utah. But these are the only three items I have tried that stand out relative to their peers.

Wes Mantooth

Was watching the Food Network the other day and Guy F was featuring an Ethiopian place. The food looked sick. Their tortilla (forget what it’s called) looked unreal. I checked it out and there’s an Ethiopian place about 15 minutes from me. Gonna def check that out some time in the next couple weeks and I’ll report back.

I’m a little nervous because it’s a Dominican Ethiopian place which is odd. But I looked at their menu and they do have strictly Ethiopian dishes.

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
Was watching the Food Network the other day and Guy F was featuring an Ethiopian place. The food looked sick. Their tortilla (forget what it’s called) looked unreal. I checked it out and there’s an Ethiopian place about 15 minutes from me. Gonna def check that out some time in the next couple weeks and I’ll report back.

I’m a little nervous because it’s a Dominican Ethiopian place which is odd. But I looked at their menu and they do have strictly Ethiopian dishes.
With Obama easing restrictions on Cuba (his best move as a president, bar none, IMO) and the demand for Cuban cigars dropping, Dominicans have to reach out and pose as more than just Cubans when seeking employment. Hence Ethiopian.

Safetydan

Tried Hong Kong Banjum

It was very very good. If you're in the mood for some spicy noodle soup come try the Gochu Jjamppong. Don't forget the Tangsuyuk