What's new

Best Places to Eat in Utah Thread

If I'm taking my lady on a romantic date, then where's a good affordable place to go? I mean prices like Olive Garden or something.

And what do you guys think about the gateway restaurants? I'm thinking of going there and just walking around after, BUT it's during the Jazz game, so it's probably going to be a pain getting in/out.

If I'm taking my lady on a romantic date, then where's a good affordable place to go? I mean prices like Olive Garden or something.

And what do you guys think about the gateway restaurants? I'm thinking of going there and just walking around after, BUT it's during the Jazz game, so it's probably going to be a pain getting in/out.

Happy Sumo for sushi, Z Tejas for southern/tex mex, Typhoon for Asian fusion, Spencer's for steak (the most expensive by far) are all good.

Then there's always the food court...

Head over to Skybox, you will not be disappointed and I really doubt it wil be crowded there tonight.

Happy Sumo for sushi, Z Tejas for southern/tex mex, Typhoon for Asian fusion, Spencer's for steak (the most expensive by far) are all good.

Then there's always the food court...

Happy Sumo and Thaifoon are both pretty expensive.

Also, how many of you have tried that Brazilian Grill that is upstairs, next to the movie theatres? It's pretty good, and worth checking out if you haven't tried it.

Happy Sumo and Thaifoon are both pretty expensive.

Also, how many of you have tried that Brazilian Grill that is upstairs, next to the movie theatres? It's pretty good, and worth checking out if you haven't tried it.

UL17's correct about the Brazilian place. I had forgotten about it. Huge "salad bar" (it's much more than just salad) and they bring various meats around on a cart for you to try. My only complaint was that when I found something I liked it was almost a guarantee that I wouldn't be having any more of that the rest of the evening.

My favorite fast food joint on earth was Yanni's Greek Express.
I think they're still there. Not 100% sure, but I think I saw them recently. When I lived in Sugarhouse I was a regular. Their Dolmathes are above average (or were, about 20 years ago).

I went to Mr. Shabu at the Gateway tonight. I'm no Shabu Shabu expert but I have eaten at the Tonkotsu Shabu Shabu in West Valley a couple times and Mr. Shabu is hands down in a different league. It's all you can eat and they have a "salad bar" where you can get all your veggies, sauces, seafood (seafood balls, shrimp, crab, clams, mussels, etc.) and noodles. They have 9 different meat choices and you can honestly order all 9 at once for just yourself if you feel like it. They have six different types of broth. The appetizers are included in the AYCE deal. The only thing you'll pay more for is drinks.

The meat was gorgeous.

This is a fun place. The only caution I'd give is that you have a VERY good chance of getting your shirt messy. These aren't my pics but these are all representative of what I experienced.

Part of the "salad bar"

Mr-Shabu-build-your-own-fresh-spring-roll.jpg

At the table

o.jpg

Appetizer combo

o.jpg

Full "salad bar"

o.jpg

Meat, meat and more meat...

o.jpg

Last edited:
I've been pleasantly surprised by The Kyoto Japanese restaurant on 1100 E and 1300 South. Nice atmosphere, and they do a good job of sushi, creative rolls, tempura, donburi, etc.

For pizza, The Pie at the U or Rusted Sun on State Street near 2100 South. At the Pie, I get thin crust and light cheese and not too many toppings, or it gets thick.

Red Butte Cafe at Foothill Village has good sandwiches, pasta salad, soups, and good entrees.

There used to be a pretty good Vietnamese place on State St. near 900 South called Mi La Cais, I think. They make a few good dishes with chicken and have crispy Imperial rolls.

The Grand America Hotel has a buffet weekdays as well as brunch on weekends.

The chop house on 1100 E. just south of 2100 south is pretty good, expensive though.

I haven't been to Red Iguana in a long time. Seems like there's always a wait to get in.

I like Tulie's bakery and cafe. I think that's a NY-caliber cafe.

I don't want this to get lost.

Mr. Shabu is a unique experience in the Salt Lake Valley.

If that's something you're into, give them a shot.

I'd suggest a reservation because I think they are going to be busy most nights.

I really like Wild Ginger.
LOVE me some crab rangoons.

Also, my wife and I have been eating at sweeto burrito somewhat often lately. We really like it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app