What's new

Best Playoff Outcomes for Jazz Trades

Not so sure about the future Hall of Famers: basketballref gives Gobert a 26% chance and Mitchell - 13%. But the question was not about those two players: you CAN be a contender with them two as your biggest stars. The question was that the Jazz could not improve their supporting cast: they had no picks and could not get much for Bojan (33), Conley (35), Ingles (35), Royce (29). All those players and the 30-year-old Gobert could only decline.

The Cavs, on the other hand, could easily continue building around really young Mobley and Garland: both Allen and Mitchell can get them really good players in trades.
Gobert will be a 4 time (at least) DPY he will get in. Don, I'm not so sure.

Also If the Cavs get run again in the first round, I'm not sure Don's valalue holds steady. Even if they win and get embarrassed in the second round, he will take the brunt of the blame.

This summer if the Lakers offer 3 FRP and removal of protection for Lauri and Sexton. Do you take it?

Listened to The Ringer Draft Show today and KOC mentioned that Utah would be aggressive in trying to get better this off-season.

They cannot. They cannot trade picks in the consecutive years and they already traded them for 2024 and 2027
In the summer it opens up for the Lakers from 1 FRP to 3 FRP available for trades. I believe 2025, 2029 and 2031 become available. Crazy. They probably want Donovan though. But dang all of those picks could be good.

This summer if the Lakers offer 3 FRP and removal of protection for Lauri and Sexton. Do you take it?
Damn. That's tough. Idk

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

In the summer it opens up for the Lakers from 1 FRP to 3 FRP available for trades. I believe 2025, 2029 and 2031 become available. Crazy. They probably want Donovan though. But dang all of those picks could be good.
This is somewhat correct. 2025 will be the pick that goes to NO. On draft night they can trade 24 (they make the pick then trade the player), 29 and 31. To do the deal you outlined I need swaps in the even years and Reaves. If they want just Lauri I'd consider it for 24, protections off of 27, 29, 31 and swaps in the even years. If they get Lauri we get all the first round capital unencumbered or they can kick rocks.

The Jazz have a ton of incentive to trade Lauri. The following years draft will be stacked and we’d have loads and loads of assets. I hate seeing the jazz tank another year and I love Lauri…but if it’s just one more it’s worth it.

The Jazz have a ton of incentive to trade Lauri. The following years draft will be stacked and we’d have loads and loads of assets. I hate seeing the jazz tank another year and I love Lauri…but if it’s just one more it’s worth it.
I think it’s a two year tank but there should be two very good drafts the next two years. Give yourself a 42% chance at Flagg, Bailey, Harper next year and 42% chance at Dybansta, Boozer, Quaintance the next year. See if you can hit on any other picks in a big way in the meantime.

I just don’t want to see another half and half season….and tbh, it will be hard to make the playoffs next year even if we put a lot of draft capital up through trades. Sucks to trade Lauri, but we’d be wasting his career anyways.

I think it’s a two year tank but there should be two very good drafts the next two years. Give yourself a 42% chance at Flagg, Bailey, Harper next year and 42% chance at Dybansta, Boozer, Quaintance the next year. See if you can hit on any other picks in a big way in the meantime.
We "could" select Bronny with 29th so he gets a contract/money and trade him to the Lakers as part of the package. LeBron son gets his money, that could motivate LeBron as well.

It should be a two year tank but I have zero trust in the front office to make that commitment right now. I'm scared to death that we try to go win now and get stuck in that middle ground with no legit star to take us over the top.

I wonder what Miami does from here?

I'm guessing they try and run it back and hope for better health, but that Rozier trade was dumb in my opinion.

I wouldn't mind taking Jovic off their hands...

I would be surprised if they don't run it back. They should see some nice internal growth from Jovic and Jaquez. In the draft their track is pretty damn good at hitting on guys where they are picking this year. Devin Carter could be a solid plug and play option for them.

I'm guessing they try and run it back and hope for better health, but that Rozier trade was dumb in my opinion.

Between Herro, Jaquez, and Jovic I think they will find a way to acquire another boarder line all star kind of player. The Rozier trade definitely looked dumb, but j wouldn’t be surprised if Spo works his magic again and he’s a lot better next year.

So weird to be patient and then put up a decent pick but also inhibit your ability to trade more picks in the future for.... checks notes... Terry Rozier???

I just don’t want to see another half and half season….and tbh, it will be hard to make the playoffs next year even if we put a lot of draft capital up through trades. Sucks to trade Lauri, but we’d be wasting his career anyways.
And I keep seeing "why would we trade 10 years of Lauri for picks" type stuff that is just kinda missing the point. Lauri wont be in his prime for 10 more years... Its going to be hard to find a player at or above his level that can play alongside him in his prime. I am okay if they want to poke around during the draft and see if there is a cheap star or some buy low opportunity on the guy they think could be the next "Lauri" but that is what they tried with John Collins imo and the Lauri ascension is kind of a one off that may not be duplicated for another 5-10 years. Good luck nailing that type of thing again.

I know people heard "big game hunting" in the presser and got star boners... but you have to listen to the whole press conference. Its clear everything is on the table right now. For many reasons you don't announce a tear down or tank job... Ainge hinted at things though by talking about the different paths and saying if we did not find something you go a different direction... Actions speak louder than words. We tanked our faces off to keep our pick in a mid-*** draft. We offloaded a dude that every playoff team can use in Tech (spare me the cap ****... we can afford him and after a re-negotiate and extend deal for Lauri we ain't gonna do dick with our space that we couldn't do with the MLE) for a pick that we hinted at might be on the move as we don't want six 19-year olds in camp. We have not operated like a team that believes it can make a push for the playoffs next year. Giving hope that you can get a star gets people excited that the build may not be that long "there is a quick fix around the corner".

If there is a big offer out there for Lauri I think we will take it.

And I keep seeing "why would we trade 10 years of Lauri for picks" type stuff that is just kinda missing the point. Lauri wont be in his prime for 10 more years... Its going to be hard to find a player at or above his level that can play alongside him in his prime. I am okay if they want to poke around during the draft and see if there is a cheap star or some buy low opportunity on the guy they think could be the next "Lauri" but that is what they tried with John Collins imo and the Lauri ascension is kind of a one off that may not be duplicated for another 5-10 years. Good luck nailing that type of thing again.

I know people heard "big game hunting" in the presser and got star boners... but you have to listen to the whole press conference. Its clear everything is on the table right now. For many reasons you don't announce a tear down or tank job... Ainge hinted at things though by talking about the different paths and saying if we did not find something you go a different direction... Actions speak louder than words. We tanked our faces off to keep our pick in a mid-*** draft. We offloaded a dude that every playoff team can use in Tech (spare me the cap ****... we can afford him and after a re-negotiate and extend deal for Lauri we ain't gonna do dick with our space that we couldn't do with the MLE) for a pick that we hinted at might be on the move as we don't want six 19-year olds in camp. We have not operated like a team that believes it can make a push for the playoffs next year. Giving hope that you can get a star gets people excited that the build may not be that long "there is a quick fix around the corner".

If there is a big offer out there for Lauri I think we will take it.

Oh, that "big game hunting" thing was totally misquoted. Honestly it was irresponsible by the media folk. It was so clear it was taken out of context it made me not even want to read any quotes from our local media at all because it was blatantly dishonest. I'd rather just listen to the actual press conferences bc I don't think it was possible to misunderstand what Ainge was saying. It was intentionally presented that way to drum up the frenzy it did. I think Ainge is intentionally dishonest all the time, as he should, but that was just poor journalism.

I think people obsess over the "timeline" too much. Like there's no rule saying everyone must peak at the same time. Most teams have players at different stages of their career. I just don't think we have enough to make the playoffs with Lauri even if we make a lot of trades and acquire a lot of talent. We can't just snap our fingers and decide that we're a playoff team. I think the decision to give up Lauri is as much about the difficulty of even getting to playoff level (beyond that obviously even more difficult) as it is the rewards of tanking. We just don't have a lot right now. Maybe Keyonte turns out to be Lisan Al-Ghaib or we hit the next Mitchell/Gobert homerun this draft. It would have sucked to have just traded Lauri, but it's not a bad place to be with the extra assets.

Right now with Lauri, we basically need to hit a home run to get out of this mediocre situation.

I'm about 90% against tanking. I just think it's a bad strategy if you are a good/well ran franchise with assets. If there is really nothing you can do to make forward progress, then sure, tank, but I dont think that is where the Jazz are.

Oh, that "big game hunting" thing was totally misquoted. Honestly it was irresponsible by the media folk. It was so clear it was taken out of context it made me not even want to read any quotes from our local media at all because it was blatantly dishonest. I'd rather just listen to the actual press conferences bc I don't think it was possible to misunderstand what Ainge was saying. It was intentionally presented that way to drum up the frenzy it did. I think Ainge is intentionally dishonest all the time, as he should, but that was just poor journalism.

I think people obsess over the "timeline" too much. Like there's no rule saying everyone must peak at the same time. Most teams have players at different stages of their career. I just don't think we have enough to make the playoffs with Lauri even if we make a lot of trades and acquire a lot of talent. We can't just snap our fingers and decide that we're a playoff team. I think the decision to give up Lauri is as much about the difficulty of even getting to playoff level (beyond that obviously even more difficult) as it is the rewards of tanking. We just don't have a lot right now. Maybe Keyonte turns out to be Lisan Al-Ghaib or we hit the next Mitchell/Gobert homerun this draft. It would have sucked to have just traded Lauri, but it's not a bad place to be with the extra assets.

Right now with Lauri, we basically need to hit a home run to get out of this mediocre situation.

"Ainge is intentionally dishonest all the time" - Lol sounds a bit too harsh don’t you think?

"I just don't think we have enough to make the playoffs with Lauri even if we make a lot of trades and acquire a lot of talent" - Not sure how you came up with this, but I got to disagree with you there as well.