What's new

Best shows on TV?

Curious what OB and others think about it. I watched all of Season 1, and have mixed feelings about it. I think it is, first and foremost, a series for fans of the books/games who know the characters already and get what's going on. The show skips between timelines quite a bit, which you can follow well enough if you're paying attention, but it's often poorly explained how events in one timeline impact the others-- I found myself googling like a fool after each episode to fully understand what I had just watched. I'd advise anyone not extremely into the books/games to have their smartphone on-hand...

Henry Cavill is fairly wooden in his portrayal of the main character, Geralt. Without knowing anything about the character outside this series, though, I did get the impression he was actually being pretty true to the character. There are a couple of characters-- I can't remember the name of the minstrel that starts following him around-- that are paired brilliantly with him, providing some much-needed comic relief. Oh, and every single action/battle sequence featuring Geralt basically gives you everything you could wish for in a sword fight-- the choreography and violence are pretty mind-blowing.

Outside of that, non-fans who love HBO/Showtime/Skinemax-type content are going to get it in spades. Game of Thrones has NOTHING you won't find here, plus some. Use your imagination, if you're not sure what I mean by that. :)

Without spoiling anything, I will say the final episode was probably the coolest cinematic depiction of magic/sorcery I have ever seen-- it was incredible and downright imaginative. There were also events in the final episode that made me sick to my stomach, though, and not entirely sure I would want to continue watching when Season 2 comes around sometime, evidently, in 2021. Much like with GoT, you'd be wise not to invest yourself too deeply in anybody not named Geralt avoiding a brutal death.
I've googled recaps after every episode too because the show does a piss poor job explaining things, especially in the beginning and I'm familiar with the Witcher.

Curious what OB and others think about it. I watched all of Season 1, and have mixed feelings about it. I think it is, first and foremost, a series for fans of the books/games who know the characters already and get what's going on. The show skips between timelines quite a bit, which you can follow well enough if you're paying attention, but it's often poorly explained how events in one timeline impact the others-- I found myself googling like a fool after each episode to fully understand what I had just watched. I'd advise anyone not extremely into the books/games to have their smartphone on-hand...

Henry Cavill is fairly wooden in his portrayal of the main character, Geralt. Without knowing anything about the character outside this series, though, I did get the impression he was actually being pretty true to the character. There are a couple of characters-- I can't remember the name of the minstrel that starts following him around-- that are paired brilliantly with him, providing some much-needed comic relief. Oh, and every single action/battle sequence featuring Geralt basically gives you everything you could wish for in a sword fight-- the choreography and violence are pretty mind-blowing.

Outside of that, non-fans who love HBO/Showtime/Skinemax-type content are going to get it in spades. Game of Thrones has NOTHING you won't find here, plus some. Use your imagination, if you're not sure what I mean by that. :)

Without spoiling anything, I will say the final episode was probably the coolest cinematic depiction of magic/sorcery I have ever seen-- it was incredible and downright imaginative. There were also events in the final episode that made me sick to my stomach, though, and not entirely sure I would want to continue watching when Season 2 comes around sometime, evidently, in 2021. Much like with GoT, you'd be wise not to invest yourself too deeply in anybody not named Geralt avoiding a brutal death.
This is a good summary. You are correct about Cavill's portrayal of Geralt, he is playing him very true to the character from the source material. He's not the most emotive person in the world lol.

I found the first season pretty uneven, with some pacing issues that got better as the series progressed. It gives me a lot of hope that it will improve a lot in season two.

Kind of spoiler: I wouldn't anticipate this series having the cavalier attitude towards the main characters that game of thrones had with regard to killing them off.

Anything is possible of course and the creators of this show may decide to stray from the source material, but I'd be fairly surprised.

This is a good summary. You are correct about Cavill's portrayal of Geralt, he is playing him very true to the character from the source material. He's not the most emotive person in the world lol.

I found the first season pretty uneven, with some pacing issues that got better as the series progressed. It gives me a lot of hope that it will improve a lot in season two.

Kind of spoiler: I wouldn't anticipate this series having the cavalier attitude towards the main characters that game of thrones had with regard to killing them off.

Anything is possible of course and the creators of this show may decide to stray from the source material, but I'd be fairly surprised.

I appreciate this, coming from a fan of the series (I assume, from your comments :)). I admit, I really latch onto protagonist/'good guy' characters, and am pretty pollyanna-ish about series' that indiscriminately mow them down.

Coral's death bothered me, in particular. I was fearful I'd end up seeing more promising good guys' limbless bodies impaled on trees after 15 minutes of action!

I've googled recaps after every episode too because the show does a piss poor job explaining things, especially in the beginning and I'm familiar with the Witcher.
Good advice.
I shall do the same. I actually decided to start it today since I just got caught up on Shameless. I will try schitts Creek after I finish this.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

On a lighter note, the wife and I have been thoroughly enjoying 'Catastrophe', for anyone with Prime. I'm talking, laughing so hard my ribs hurt. It's blunt, and the main characters communicate-- in my opinion-- the way all married people should. Highly recommend.

On a lighter note, the wife and I have been thoroughly enjoying 'Catastrophe', for anyone with Prime. I'm talking, laughing so hard my ribs hurt. It's blunt, and the main characters communicate-- in my opinion-- the way all married people should. Highly recommend.

One of the most underrated comedies out there. So funny.

I felt like the female lead in Season 1 was definitely not worth the trouble, although she has a great voice. Season 2 was much better in that regard, even with the extremely predictable twist at the end.

Predictable? Really.. everyone I talk to says it was the opposite.

Saw one episode of the witcher, just finished the mandalorian which has been fantastic.
The Mandalorian was fun. I would say that there was no character development, except that there was really no character in the first place - just kind of static catch phrases and/or inscrutable motivations.

But I liked it, it was pretty. And Baby Yoda.

The Mandalorian was fun. I would say that there was no character development, except that there was really no character in the first place - just kind of static catch phrases and/or inscrutable motivations.

But I liked it, it was pretty. And Baby Yoda.
This is a good description. I found my attention wandering quite a bit during the mandalorian. It was good enough I kept watching but I didn't find it that great. I don't get the rabid following it seems to have generated and the baby Yoda was cute and all but also kind of nothing, other than that "hey it's got the force" moment, which was pretty poorly animated imo. I'll watch the next season but more out of curiosity than a drive to know the story, which is basically nonexistent at this point.

I watched the first three episodes of The Witcher. In episode one there were 2 swordfight scenes that were choreographed better than most any fight scenes you will ever find.

Other than that, I'm not sure if I like it or not.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Anyone watch the first episode of The Outsider on HBO last night? Heard it was excellent.