What's new

Big Dawg opines

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner

View: https://twitter.com/ScoopB/status/1699129556433596810/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1699129556433596810&currentTweetUser=ScoopB

Obviously it’s somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but the Eisley three and Harper shot are the biggest things that still piss me off today thinking about it as much as it did then, some 25 years later. Both of those weren’t just bad calls — they were absolutely egregious. Too much discussion on the push off and not enough on that nonsense. If you were to take all of the questionable shot clock calls from that entire season, I think it’s be hard to find competitors for worse calls than what happened to us twice in one game.

There was also a random fourth quarter line violation on an inbound called. That one still gets me because virtually every game someone commits that violation but it isn't called until the last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter against the jazz.

Also, I still recall so many missed free throws by Malone...

I love Big Dawg. As much as he was loved in Utah his impact on the floor was underrated. His role was critical to the success of that team.

As annoying as the bad calls and end of that game were all we had to do was not let MJ score a layup taking like 4 seconds when we were up by 3. If we just didn't allow such a quick bucket, maybe you get them to take their shot with less than 24 seconds on the clock and then we have a free throw contest (which we probably win)

What even made it worse was how bias the coverage was. NBC cut to commercial as Bill Walton start to say something when they came back no mention or replay. Same with the Harper shot. If that had been the Jazz getting the call and the Bulls getting screwed, they would still be talking about it. I am still as bitter as I was back then. The push was bad but not as bad as those two calls. I have watched a ton of basketball and I cannot recall any time clock "violations" as bad. Everytime someone says S&M didn't win a championship I think about how they got screwed out of one.