What's new

Bill Simmons: Jazz a lock to win over 43 games

Golfman

In his annual NBA over/under podcast, Bill Simmons has Utah winning over 43 games as one of his gambling locks.
Some highlights of what he said about Utah
- He thinks we will win 48.
- Marvin Williams has been playing really well
- Mo Williams is now underrated. He thought he checked out last season in LA because he was behind Chauncey on the depth chart and was in a bad situation in LA. Thought he was not a great chemistry guy last year.
- Thinks Foye is a legitmate backup guard.
- Thinks we go 9 deep. Mentioned Kanter losing weight.
- "It's funny, everybody is pointing to Denver as the young, deep team that is going to be awesome. YOu can make a pretty compelling case for Utah. I'm not going to do it, but I think they are going to win more than 43 games."
- Also mentioned we have a couple of people that we can go to the in 4th quarter that aren't afraid (didn't mention names).

In terms of other locks, for those curious, he thought it was a lock for Houston to win less than 29.5, New Orleans to win more than 27, and Toronto over 33 and Atlanta over 42.5 wins.

https://www.grantland.com/blog/the-...-overunders-with-joe-house-part-2-with-videos

48 is pretty much what I got as well.

If Corbin goes less then 34mpg on Jefferson and Millsap, Marvin is truly reborn and Burks/Kanter/Favors make nominal improvements in their game - I'd go up to low 50's.

I agree with him, but in the Eastern Conference podcast he mentions that he thinks Ronnie Brewer is an elite defender.

In his annual NBA over/under podcast, Bill Simmons has Utah winning over 43 games as one of his gambling locks.
Some highlights of what he said about Utah
- He thinks we will win 48.
- Marvin Williams has been playing really well
- Mo Williams is now underrated. He thought he checked out last season in LA because he was behind Chauncey on the depth chart and was in a bad situation in LA. Thought he was not a great chemistry guy last year.
- Thinks Foye is a legitmate backup guard.
- Thinks we go 9 deep. Mentioned Kanter losing weight.
- "It's funny, everybody is pointing to Denver as the young, deep team that is going to be awesome. YOu can make a pretty compelling case for Utah. I'm not going to do it, but I think they are going to win more than 43 games."
- Also mentioned we have a couple of people that we can go to the in 4th quarter that aren't afraid (didn't mention names).

In terms of other locks, for those curious, he thought it was a lock for Houston to win less than 29.5, New Orleans to win more than 27, and Toronto over 33 and Atlanta over 42.5 wins.

https://www.grantland.com/blog/the-...-overunders-with-joe-house-part-2-with-videos

Agree they're pretty much a lock but one injury, namely to Mo, could change that. I like his Houston call as well but disagree on Toronto who's pretty much always terrible and void of solid NBA talent, and NO with EG already banged up.

Agree they're pretty much a lock but one injury, namely to Mo, could change that. I like his Houston call as well but disagree on Toronto who's pretty much always terrible and void of solid NBA talent, and NO with EG already banged up.

So true. Mo being injured would absolutely paralyze our team, IMO. Unless Foye gets it together (unlikely).

I for one anticipate an interesting season from the Raptors.

Lowry/Calderon
DeRozan/Landry Fields
Terrence Ross/Landry Fields
Bargnani/Ed Davis
Valancuinas/Eddy

Toss in a half-decent coach in Casey, and you have yourself a team in an echelon above some of the lottery fodder, but still probably underneath the Detroit Pistons.

So true. Mo being injured would absolutely paralyze our team, IMO. Unless Foye gets it together (unlikely).

I for one anticipate an interesting season from the Raptors.

Lowry/Calderon
DeRozan/Landry Fields
Terrence Ross/Landry Fields
Bargnani/Ed Davis
Valancuinas/Eddy

Toss in a half-decent coach in Casey, and you have yourself a team in an echelon above some of the lottery fodder, but still probably underneath the Detroit Pistons.

I think that's a pretty ****ty team. Ross and Valancuinas are rookies. Bargnani is a semi-stat-stuffing stiff who's a sieve defensively. Derozan's a mediocre wing who can't shoot to save his life and Lowry and Calderon are two below average point guards, though if Lowry regains his pre-illness form from last year, that changes a little. And the rest of that bench blows. Most importantly though is that those guys don't know how to win and losing's a very tough cancer to kick. I see 28-54.

I think that's a pretty ****ty team. Ross and Valancuinas are rookies. Bargnani is a semi-stat-stuffing stiff who's a sieve defensively. Derozan's a mediocre wing who can't shoot to save his life and Lowry and Calderon are two below average point guards, though if Lowry regains his pre-illness form from last year, that changes a little. And the rest of that bench blows. Most importantly though is that those guys don't know how to win and losing's a very tough cancer to kick. I see 28-54.

Note how I said 'interesting', not necessarily good. I'm simply saying that I think they'll be better than some of the other usual lottery-bound East teams, and Kyke Lowry is quite good IMO. If I had league pass, the Raptors would certainly be one of my five teams.

Note how I said 'interesting', not necessarily good. I'm simply saying that I think they'll be better than some of the other usual lottery-bound East teams, and Kyke Lowry is quite good IMO. If I had league pass, the Raptors would certainly be one of my five teams.

Raptors games will be blacked out for Canadians on NBA league pass. You have TSN, Sportsnet, TSN2 and Raptors NBA TV for all 82 games

https://www.nba.com/schedules/national_tv_schedule/canada/.

And yet they beat Jazz last year in Utah - and Bargnani did not even play second half, they had no Lowry, Valanciunas, or Fields. They made remarkable improvement under Casey in defensive efficiency jumping from dead last in the league to respectable 12th. Losing James Johnson who was their best defender hurts, but I agree with Simons, this team is a lock to win 33 games and may even sniff 40. They lost bunch of games last year in 4th quarter giving up serious leads - that's where Lowry will help them most.
If they end up winning only 28 games I can change my signature to whatever you want.

I forecast the Jazz at 50 wins even before the pre-season, just based on projected internal improvement from Favors, Hayward amd Burks and the addition of Marvin Williams. After his summer league performance, I had pretty much given up on Kanter playing more than 15 mins/per and being a marginal contributor. Now I'd almost call it a lock for the Jazz to win 50 games. Last year's winning percentage would have them at 45-37. I don't think it's much of a stretch to improve by 5 games.

I agree with you re: Mo, though. PG is the only position the Jazz can't withstand an injury.

You guys are aware that 54 games is the most wins a post Stockton/Malone team has ever won, right? Those Deron/Boozer teams were very good and sometimes great.

My point is it's not terribly likely that a team without a great ballhandler and whose current go-to option scores points at around the league average is going to be anywhere near as good. And the coach is very inexperienced.

Let's be reasonable. But I hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: Xsy
You guys are aware that 54 games is the most wins a post Stockton/Malone team has ever won, right? Those Deron/Boozer teams were very good and sometimes great.

My point is it's not terribly likely that a team without a great ballhandler and whose current go-to option scores points at around the league average is going to be anywhere near as good. And the coach is very inexperienced.

Let's be reasonable. But I hope I'm wrong.

You will be wrong. 60 wins