What's new

Bill Simmons to leave ESPN

sirkickyass

Moderator Emeritus
Contributor
Broken by the NYTimes this morning.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/09/sports/bill-simmons-and-espn-are-parting-ways.html?_r=0

Bill Simmons, who built a personal empire at ESPN and is one of America’s most influential sports personalities, will leave the media giant when his contract expires in the fall. He and the company were unable to reach an extension after months of talks.

“I’ve decided that I’m not going to renew his contract,” said John Skipper, the president of ESPN. “We’ve been talking to Bill and his agent and it was clear we weren’t going to get to the terms, so we were better off focusing on transition.”

Skipper said that the differences between the company and Simmons were “about more than money,” although he would not offer details. He added: “We’ve had an excellent run with Bill, almost 15 years. It’s been good for us and good for him. It was a decision I had to make and he had to make to move forward.”

Grantland, the sports and entertainment site run by Simmons for ESPN, will be unaffected by his departure, Skipper said.

“It long ago went from being a Bill Simmons site to one that can stand on its own,” Skipper said.

Simmons’s contract expires at the end of September. He has not yet responded to requests for comment.

The outspoken Simmons built himself into a major brand at ESPN, branching out from his base as a freewheeling columnist to host a popular weekly podcast, the B.S. Report; to create Grantland; and to play a role in the launch and success of the “30 for 30” documentary film series.

But his future at ESPN became a cause célèbre last year when the company suspended him for three weeks for calling N.F.L. Commissioner Roger Goodell a “liar” during a podcast and effectively dared his bosses to fire him.

Simmons became a free-speech martyr during his absence, with the likes of Lena Dunham and Judd Apatow supporting him. Those who spoke out on his behalf on Twitter used the hashtag #FreeSimmons.”

Skipper said that the incident had no bearing on his decision to end ESPN’s relationship with Simmons.

Now the intrigue will begin about his next step. Simmons could join another traditional media company, like Fox, or a digital media outlet like Yahoo. Or he could use his high profile to start his own multimedia platform with investment from private equity.

Bizarre to imagine these two not working together.

Simmons is an overrated windbag (which is how most of the egos at ESPN are anyway).

Love me some summons too

It was, I think, just a matter of time before this happened. Simmons is just too grandiose a personality (in practice and in his own mind) to remain in the ESPN stable.

Personally, I find Simmons to be an overrated gasbag with limited insights not gotten elsewhere, though occasionally entertaining. To each their own.

Now, if ESPN could just ditch Steven A Smith, the absolute worst TV sports personality in the business. God he's awful and how and why he's still employed is beyond me.

Not a good year for espn. They just launched this ****ty new website, and now they are losing the only good personality they had going for them. I hope Simmons either makes another network relevant or starts his own successful agency. It sucks though, because espn owns so many broadcasting rights.

I will admit that Grantland is, for me, wonderful. I accept, however, that is has some biases that are probably inexcusable. The amount of NBA coverage compared to coverage of all other sports is probably not defensible.

I will admit that Grantland is, for me, wonderful. I accept, however, that is has some biases that are probably inexcusable. The amount of NBA coverage compared to coverage of all other sports is probably not defensible.

All other sports suck though. Except maybe college football. They should cover more of that.

I loathe me some Steven A Smith

Who cares? Do they need to have equal coverage of all sports? Not everything needs to be equal.

I've always liked Simmons, although I've long since stopped paying much attention to sports in general. If I'd read more of him, it's easy to see how he might start to seem obnoxious.

But as far as NBA journalism goes, for me he and everyone else will always be second to David Aldridge, another ex-ESPNer. He's not an outspoken personality like Simmons (I would even say he's a little bland on broadcasts), but he's a top-notch writer who always manages to get to the heart of things.

I've always liked Simmons, although I've long since stopped paying much attention to sports in general. If I'd read more of him, it's easy to see how he might start to seem obnoxious.

But as far as NBA journalism goes, for me he and everyone else will always be second to David Aldridge, another ex-ESPNer. He's not an outspoken personality like Simmons (I would even say he's a little bland on broadcasts), but he's a top-notch writer who always manages to get to the heart of things.

lol its all about Zach Lowe.

Who cares? Do they need to have equal coverage of all sports? Not everything needs to be equal.
You don't get it. You give the public what they want or you don't make it. The fact is, the NFL rules, college football is huge, MLB is significant, and you simply can't have a disproportionate amount of NBA coverage and survive. If you are going to cover one sport an exorbitant amount, it has to be the NFL.

Right...Grantland isn't doing well at all right now. Lulz.

Their most talented writer does basketball stuff. Should they make him do less just because they want equal coverage?

Bill Simmons was a stud. Then he got famous and turned into a dufus.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

You don't get it. You give the public what they want or you don't make it. The fact is, the NFL rules, college football is huge, MLB is significant, and you simply can't have a disproportionate amount of NBA coverage and survive. If you are going to cover one sport an exorbitant amount, it has to be the NFL.

So, the best way to survive is to chain yourself to the ratings?

It's gonna be weird when the NFL swallows the earth. Oh wait...nvm... it's already showing all the signs of decline.

So, the best way to survive is to chain yourself to the ratings?

It's gonna be weird when the NFL swallows the earth. Oh wait...nvm... it's already showing all the signs of decline.

This.
I can't wait for the death of NFL.