What's new

Bill Simmons to leave ESPN

You don't get it. You give the public what they want or you don't make it. The fact is, the NFL rules, college football is huge, MLB is significant, and you simply can't have a disproportionate amount of NBA coverage and survive. If you are going to cover one sport an exorbitant amount, it has to be the NFL.

And yet Grantland is becoming extremely popular based on very NBA heavy coverage.

And yet Grantland is becoming extremely popular based on very NBA heavy coverage.

First, what makes you say that?

Simmons will probably need to raise a similar amount to staff a newsroom of 20 or so. He will definitely need to raise more if wants to keep pulling a $3 million salary.

Is Simmons worth that kind of money?

Not according to one digital media CEO we spoke to.

This person pointed to the performance of the two big sites Simmons has launched for ESPN so far.

The first is Grantland, the middle- to high-brow sports site Simmons launched three years ago.

According to ComScore, Grantland reached 4.8 million people in August 2014. That's pretty small compared with the 25 million people the Gawker Media sports website Deadspin reached in the same month. Grantland grew 19% year-over-year. Deadspin grew 303%. The audience of another competitor, Vox Media's SB Nation, was 13 million.

The comparison is especially ugly for Grantland when you consider that it gets a lot of traffic from ESPN.com, a web giant with roughly 200 million monthly unique visitors.

https://www.businessinsider.com/grantland-and-fivethirtyeight-traffic-2014-10

Second, one might argue that whatever popularlity it does enjoy is based on extremely talented writers and if there were more NFL coverage it would be even more popular.

First, what makes you say that?

https://www.businessinsider.com/grantland-and-fivethirtyeight-traffic-2014-10

Second, one might argue that whatever popularlity it does enjoy is based on extremely talented writers and if there were more NFL coverage it would be even more popular.

You mean another company grew even faster! Oh noes! They must suck.

But a 19% growth sure doesn't sound like they are having problems surviving. That's the debate remember? Their survival which you calle dinto question.

You mean another company grew even faster! Oh noes! They must suck.

But a 19% growth sure doesn't sound like they are having problems surviving. That's the debate remember? Their survival which you calle dinto question.

Just stop. Nobody said they suck. The crux of the issue is this, posted by Kicky:

The amount of NBA coverage compared to coverage of all other sports is probably not defensible.

To which Howard responded - "who cares?"

19% growth is nice, but if you can have 38% growth with less NBA coverage and more NFL and college football coverage, then the site - as it currently exists under Simmons, with a disproportionate amount of NBA coverage - ultimately doesn't survive. First step - jettison the Sports Guy. Check.

You don't get it. You give the public what they want or you don't make it. The fact is, the NFL rules, college football is huge, MLB is significant, and you simply can't have a disproportionate amount of NBA coverage and survive. If you are going to cover one sport an exorbitant amount, it has to be the NFL.

Just stop. Nobody said they suck. The crux of the issue is this, posted by Kicky:

To which Howard responded - "who cares?"

19% growth is nice, but if you can have 38% growth with less NBA coverage and more NFL and college football coverage, then the site - as it currently exists under Simmons, with a disproportionate amount of NBA coverage - ultimately doesn't survive. First step - jettison the Sports Guy. Check.

No, the bolded was/is the argument. If you wish to change it then fine but don't act like their rate of growth was your argument.

19% growth with great writers hardly calls into question their survival (your word choice).

Could they have even better growth covering other sports on a more even basis? I'd say yes. But don't act like they are not becoming popular and growing with how they are. Your own stats prove that.

Precision of language please (Just watched "The Giver")

Yeah, it would be a tragedy if Grantland became SB Nation and Deadspin. Sometimes you have to feed a niche. and own the niche. If you care about the NBA, Grantland is must read. The other two are certainly not.

Deadspin gets more traffic because they appeal to the average fan more. Anyways, the idea that we need to require equal coverage for sports is ridiculous, and that's what I was talking about. Who cares? Kicky wasn't talking about their growth, or sustainability, he thought they should have equal coverage because equal is fair. I find that idea absurd.

Anyways, Grantland is doing fine, and Bill Simmons had a huge role in that. They'll still do just fine as long as Zach Lowe is there.

But seriously, would you rather read a Zach Lowe article or a Bill Barnwell one? That's why there is more NBA coverage, and because Simmons is predominately a basketball fan. There's nothing wrong with that.

No, the bolded was/is the argument. If you wish to change it then fine but don't act like their rate of growth was your argument.

The bolded is indeed part of the argument. As I explained, Grantland, as it existed under Simmons, couldn't and ultimately didn't survive. This point can't be argued - the site, with the disproportionate amount of NBA coverage under Simmons watch, is already a thing of the past.

Deadspin gets more traffic because they appeal to the average fan more. Anyways, the idea that we need to require equal coverage for sports is ridiculous, and that's what I was talking about. Who cares? Kicky wasn't talking about their growth, or sustainability, he thought they should have equal coverage because equal is fair. I find that idea absurd.

Anyways, Grantland is doing fine, and Bill Simmons had a huge role in that. They'll still do just fine as long as Zach Lowe is there.

But seriously, would you rather read a Zach Lowe article or a Bill Barnwell one? That's why there is more NBA coverage, and because Simmons is predominately a basketball fan. There's nothing wrong with that.

ESPN apparently disagrees.

FTR, I'm on board with what you are saying as it relates Framer's point. I'm a NBA guy all the way. I love Grantland because it is one place that you can always go to for huge NBA coverage. The more NBA coverage the better, as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately, ESPN doesn't feel the same.

The bolded is indeed part of the argument. As I explained, Grantland, as it existed under Simmons, couldn't and ultimately didn't survive. This point can't be argued - the site, with the disproportionate amount of NBA coverage under Simmons watch, is already a thing of the past.

It survived fine. So much so that the big dogs gobled it up because it was popular.

It didn't just die off.

But whatever, pointless argument.

All I'm getting from this is that it is a crime if businesses makes money, yet it is still a crime to some when they leave money on the table.

What a **** world. Everything you do is pissed upon.

Simmons more than likely got fired because he antagonizes ESPN higher ups. Pretty obvious. Grantland is a success, that really isn't debatable.

seattlejazzfan totally whoring himself out in this thread. Jesus Christo.

Here's a challenge, guy: go follow your passions and start a company. Stick fairly closely to the core of your passions. Make $3 million a year for a while while your company grows at a clip around 19%.

Try it.

Or...

type on jazzfanz about how stupid someone is for pulling that off.

FYI, Simmons is totally right about being uncomfortable in his relationship with ESPN. That company has been in a whorish nosedive for 15 years (at least). Bill's probably already got more money than he ever needs already. And he's got a cool batch of friends to party with for the foreseeable future.

...nvm... commence with your ****ting on him.

Good hell, wanting grantland to turn into sbnation is terrible. Deadspin is probably worse. Sbnation has so many readers because of all their ****ty blogs like slcdunk. And deadspin is pretty much tmz. Grantland is like a boutique shop, and appeals to certain audiences. They decided a lot of those who their content would appeal to are smart nba fans, and they pretty much filled that niche.

Putting a lot of words in my mouth. I said only that the slant towards NBA coverage probably wasn't defensible. It is great for people, like me, who love the NBA above all-else. But the website was originally pitched as big-tent: a place for in-depth articles about all sports and visual media. What was delivered was different. In allocating resources, a management question, I wouldn't be astonished if it was a point of contention that he has a very large staff of writers and devoted an inordinate number of resources to the NBA (again, I love it). That makes your proposed big-tent website, in actuality a small tent.

Simmons more than likely got fired because he antagonizes ESPN higher ups. Pretty obvious. Grantland is a success, that really isn't debatable.

It's only a success if you don't care about whether it actually makes money, its costs, or its traffic compared to similar sites. It is very well documented that Grantland is a loss-leader.

Yeah, it would be a tragedy if Grantland became SB Nation and Deadspin. Sometimes you have to feed a niche. and own the niche. If you care about the NBA, Grantland is must read. The other two are certainly not.

Grantland is pretty much the only sports website I read.

Never even heard of deadspin.

ESPN apparently disagrees.

FTR, I'm on board with what you are saying as it relates Framer's point. I'm a NBA guy all the way. I love Grantland because it is one place that you can always go to for huge NBA coverage. The more NBA coverage the better, as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately, ESPN doesn't feel the same.

I think ESPN is more worried about Simmons being a liability on social media. The dude calls ESPN on BS all the time and they have suspended him from twitter on a couple of occasions.