What's new

Black or Wallace?

Which point guard would rather have with the 9th pick?

• Total voters
they give A+ effort, and both have high bball IQs. they each have concerns with their games especially on offense, but with either one you are getting dudes who are going to get after it, work hard, play smart and get it done on the defensive end.
Again... this might be one where its right answers only. Give me either of them and I'm gonna be happy.

I also don’t dislike Cason. I would very happy if we drafted him. Thing is I wouldn’t take him over anyone in my top-9 and Dallas isn’t taking him so if we really wanted him we could either trade up from 16 to get him or trade down from 9 a couple spots.

For example let’s say Black goes in the top-8. That means either Hendricks/Ausar/Walker is there at 9. You take one of them and then move up from 16 using 28 maybe to get to 11/12 for Wallace.

If Black is BPA at 9 you just take him though. In my opinion there is no scenario where Wallace is BPA at 9.

I also don’t dislike Cason. I would very happy if we drafted him. Thing is I wouldn’t take him over anyone in my top-9 and Dallas isn’t taking him so if we really wanted him we could either trade up from 16 to get him or trade down from 9 a couple spots.
I think Dallas would be more likely to take Cason than Black but I think they would really prefer Hendricks, Walker, Thompson... Cason might actually fit with their roster a little bit and I think he's playable now. I think it would be rational to move back to say 12 and think you can get Cason.

I think Dallas is actually the best trade up possibility because I think they could go for a more nba ready dude at #16 while getting another asset... like they could justify a Lively pick at 16 and its a little bit of a reach at 10.

I think Dallas would be more likely to take Cason than Black but I think they would really prefer Hendricks, Walker, Thompson... Cason might actually fit with their roster a little bit and I think he's playable now. I think it would be rational to move back to say 12 and think you can get Cason.

I think Dallas is actually the best trade up possibility because I think they could go for a more nba ready dude at #16 while getting another asset... like they could justify a Lively pick at 16 and its a little bit of a reach at 10.

I don’t see them taking Cason at all really. I’m fairly certain they’ll be taking a wing or maybe even Lively who knows.

Where did Dallas end up after the lottery?

I doubt we’ll have a choice. But a lot of what this comes down to is the injury situation with Wallace. 1) how much did it affect him 2) will it be an issue going forward. The answer to 1 is….a lot. Everything was so much better before he was hurt and it seemed to get progressively worse. The answer to #2? Impossible to say.

I do think my opinions on them as individuals are a little bit different than being. For one, I reject this idea that Anthony Black is an elite passer and playmaker. He is good, but elite is a whole different thing. I think he makes good passes for a guy that is 6’7….but he really needs the “for 6’7” qualifier. I think that he has big question marks on his playmaking in the half court, particularly when you combine it with his lack of jumper. IMO, it’s still very much a question mark if he’d good enough to be a full time PG.

However, what he does not get enough credit for is his ability to get to the line. His percentage at the rim is not great, but he gets there a lot and gets to the line a ton. I think he will be able to score at the rim at the next level, and getting to the FT line is a skill that’s hard to develop in the league. It’s almost more like a trait.

Defensively I think he’s great, especially off the ball and making chaos. He does not look amazing when getting around screens, however, and that could be problematic as a point of attack defender. I think he’s kind of like an A off ball defender, but B level point of attack defender.

Cason thoughts in a bit….

I doubt we’ll have a choice. But a lot of what this comes down to is the injury situation with Wallace. 1) how much did it affect him 2) will it be an issue going forward. The answer to 1 is….a lot. Everything was so much better before he was hurt and it seemed to get progressively worse. The answer to #2? Impossible to say.

I do think my opinions on them as individuals are a little bit different than being. For one, I reject this idea that Anthony Black is an elite passer and playmaker. He is good, but elite is a whole different thing. I think he makes good passes for a guy that is 6’7….but he really needs the “for 6’7” qualifier. I think that he has big question marks on his playmaking in the half court, particularly when you combine it with his lack of jumper. IMO, it’s still very much a question mark if he’d good enough to be a full time PG.

However, what he does not get enough credit for is his ability to get to the line. His percentage at the rim is not great, but he gets there a lot and gets to the line a ton. I think he will be able to score at the rim at the next level, and getting to the FT line is a skill that’s hard to develop in the league. It’s almost more like a trait.

Defensively I think he’s great, especially off the ball and making chaos. He does not look amazing when getting around screens, however, and that could be problematic as a point of attack defender. I think he’s kind of like an A off ball defender, but B level point of attack defender.

Thoughts on Cason....IDK why people keep calling him small. He very clearly has plus size at the PG position, and he does very well at the things size is supposed to do. He was great at the rim, he's great at making passes in traffic, and out of all the PG's in the draft I would trust him most to guard a bigger player. So even if you think he's small on measurements (he's not), he's good at all the things size is supposed to help you with so why does it matter?

I think his playmaking is probably his most underrated trait, especially in comparison to Black. His AST/TOV was fantastic. He does have quite the number of "highlight reel" passes as Black, but he has his fair share and is also really great at protecting the ball. I have no questions about him running PnR in half court. He's super comfortable in the middle of the court and is a threat to shoot, drive, and pass. Having said that, I do think he's a guy who's going to rely on getting good screens at the NBA. He doesn't have enough natural burst or ball handling to get by defenders on his own.

Defensively I think he's the best guard in the draft. He is fantastic on and off the ball. Love how he gets around screens and plays gaps. I am not sure he will get to the Jrue/Smart level of defender at the position, but he has the potential to be that elite level defensive guard. Overall a very solid player with very few weaknesses. Not much bad to say about him, but also doesn't have the same peaks that you get from Black when you watch him play.

Cason was dealing with a lot of injuries in SEC play and it tanked his stats.
He was shooting around 40% from 3 most of the year. He also was switched to lead ball handler midseason which he did well at, but there was of course a curve he was working through there too.

If I can get Cason with the 2nd pick then I most certainly do that.

I’ve got crosshairs on Dallas. Seems there’s a good match here. Honestly, #16, Ochai, and Olynyk for one of their dead-salary players and #10 is a screaming deal for them and a cost that I’m fine with.

Thoughts on Cason....IDK why people keep calling him small. He very clearly has plus size at the PG position, and he does very well at the things size is supposed to do. He was great at the rim, he's great at making passes in traffic, and out of all the PG's in the draft I would trust him most to guard a bigger player. So even if you think he's small on measurements (he's not), he's good at all the things size is supposed to help you with so why does it matter?

I think his playmaking is probably his most underrated trait, especially in comparison to Black. His AST/TOV was fantastic. He does have quite the number of "highlight reel" passes as Black, but he has his fair share and is also really great at protecting the ball. I have no questions about him running PnR in half court. He's super comfortable in the middle of the court and is a threat to shoot, drive, and pass. Having said that, I do think he's a guy who's going to rely on getting good screens at the NBA. He doesn't have enough natural burst or ball handling to get by defenders on his own.

Defensively I think he's the best guard in the draft. He is fantastic on and off the ball. Love how he gets around screens and plays gaps. I am not sure he will get to the Jrue/Smart level of defender at the position, but he has the potential to be that elite level defensive guard. Overall a very solid player with very few weaknesses. Not much bad to say about him, but also doesn't have the same peaks that you get from Black when you watch him play.

Killer posts. 100% co-sign.

This.

People get all in their feelings about some of these guys. Wallace is fine in the 10-14 range but I don't think he's a top 9 talent in this draft. I think we see a dropoff once you get to about 10. Some say Kentucky guards always over produce their draft slot but that wasn't the case with Ty Ty last season. Yes they are totally different prospects.

This.

People get all in their feelings about some of these guys. Wallace is fine in the 10-14 range but I don't think he's a top 9 talent in this draft. I think we see a dropoff once you get to about 10. Some say Kentucky guards always over produce their draft slot but that wasn't the case with Ty Ty last season. Yes they are totally different prospects.
Yeah, cuz TyTy sucks. It’s not a law of physics.