What's new

Blazers @ Jazz, 2/15, 7pm MT, Game 57

jazzVA

First off, I will NOT take any game thread blame for that crap-tastic excuse of bball on Monday…no more than I will take any credit when we win tonight… …wellll, let’s put that last one one on hold…

I’ll lay out the road to success in a few simple steps:

1) No day-drinking before game nights…period.
basketball-shot-glass-game-b-ball-shots-new-drinking-game-night.jpg

2) THIS is good, more so if we’re on offense at the time
f81559c5-2ef5-4fd8-91b8-f48d2c112660.png

3)...it’s good because it makes THEM happy (you know, the ones who really pay your salary)…
jazzweb_020512~4.jpg

4)...and you get the women (or men depending on your preference)…you might get this anyway but it will be more fulfilling when 1, 2, and 3 also happen...
CRTZBBNUEAAliSB.jpg

You will note that there are no players in this game thread post…that is, perhaps, intentional…

GO JAZZ!!!!!!

maxresdefault.jpg

Just stumbled on this funny story:

https://www.bizjournals.com/portlan...r-blazer-brian-grant-rescued-karl-malone.html

Having watched him play against Karl Malone in those 1999 playoffs, I had a vivid memory of Malone elbowing grant in the face — and of Grant getting called for the foul (I’ve described it to friends as Grant’s face fouling Malone’s elbow).

During our interview, I asked Grant whether I remembered the incident correctly.

“No, I didn’t get called for the foul, but I did get stitches from it,” Grant said, with a laugh.

We then got to talking about the fishing trip that Malone donated as an auction to Grant’s foundation. The winner received a fishing trip to Alaska with the two now-former adversaries. ( A glimpse at the trip is available here, in a Comcast Sports-provided clip on YouTube, and is very much worth watching.)

I asked Grant whether he had fun during the outing. He absolutely did, then shared this nugget.

The auction winner (who eventually donated a total of $107,000 to Grant’s foundation) and the two players regularly retired to an Alaskan bar to unwind after their day of fishing. On one of the days, Grant left the group’s table to use the restroom.

When he returned, a crowd of six or seven people had surrounded and were stridently confronting Malone.

“I came out and said, ‘Hey, what’s going on,’” said Grant. The crowd turned and began taunting Malone some more.

“There he is, that’s the guy you elbowed in the face!” Grant recalled the group as saying.

It turns out it was a group of visitors who were from Tigard and Beaverton and who, like many of us at the time, couldn’t believe that Malone had smashed one of their favorite players in the face.

Grant called off the crowd, and everyone had a good laugh about it over a few more drinks.

“It was pretty funny that there were all these Blazers fans in the middle of nowhere who were calling him out for elbowing me,” Grant said. “But, man, that he would donate his time for the Foundation says a lot about Karl Malone.”