What's new

Book it: This season is going to be as satisfying as Sloan's Masterpiece (2003-4).

Magic Spray

I am watching Coach Kos and Solvenia play Serbia in the FIBA Final and I'm thinking of things like Rodney Hood breaking out, Ricky Rubio slinging the ball to Gobert and Favors, Alec Burks going full Manu Ginobili drive the hoop, Donovan Mitchell doing his best Oladipo impression, and Joe Ingles doing very dirty things to opponents.

And I'm trying very hard to care about the Celtics as little as I have since Larry Bird retired.

I feel deep in the marrow of my bones that this Jazz team is going to break through very very big this season. It reminds me of another time...

I was still in college when Stockton and Malone left the Jazz. Many national writers and fans figured that the Jazz were heading for poop city. After all, their team consisted of Andrei Kirilenko, Matt Harpring, and little else. The offseason didn't deliver much as deals for restricted free agents Corey Magette and Jason Terry were matched by their teams and another offer for Elton Brand went unsigned when he went with the Heat instead (the Clippers ultimately matched anyway as well). Things were looking grim.

Some doucher in Seattle predicted that the Jazz would break the all-time loss record and win fewer than 9 games.

Jazz fans knew that something else was brewing though.

What followed was the epitome of Jerry Sloan basketball. Players nobody had ever heard of like Ben Handlogten and Mikki Moore started delivering really great competitive games. The Jazz were in contention for the playoffs until game 81 or something like that. It was Jerry Sloan's finest season of coaching. As one final shot from the national media for the season, Hubie Brown was awarded the Coach of the Year award. Brown went on to quit on Thanksgiving Day the next season.

Even though the Jazz were left on the outside looking in in almost every respect, it was my absolute favorite Jazz season. Better than going to the Finals. Better than Stockton/Malone getting the All-Star game co-MVP award in SLC. Better than taking the Showtime Lakers to 7 games in the semis. This was the greatest Jazz season that there has ever been.

Until now? I feel in my soul that this is going to be an even better season. Casual NBA fans and national writers (outside of Zach Lowe, natch) are going to be puzzled that the Jazz are somehow better after being spurned by a grudge-holding non-confrontational perennial second banana. Gobert, Favors, Sephalosha, Mitchell, and Exum are going to hold teams scoreless. Joe Ingles is going to lead the league in 3-pt % and trash talk. Gobert's going to breakthrough and be an All-Star and player of the month. Auntie Viv, after all her enhancements, is going to be bangin' once again. And even though capacity is going to be lower, it's going to be once and for all superior in noise to any other arena in the league.

It's not going to go perfect. It's going to suck at times. But it's going to be the best.

Some doucher in Seattle predicted that the Jazz would break the all-time loss record and win fewer than 9 games.

Add then someone on jazzfanz posted a video making fun of that prediction after the jazz surpassed it. I wonder if Jason still has that saved somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ugg.

It really drives me up the wall that Jazz fans consider a season where we almost made the playoffs as Sloan's big achievement. And I'm not singling anyone out here, as this is a common opinion among fans.

IMO, that season was more about a bunch of crappy predictions by writers who only watched Utah a few games a year, than it was about Sloan working a miracle. I think most fans who were familiar with the team at the time had an idea that the Utah wouldn't be nearly as bad as the predictions. Total pet peeve of mine that Jazz fans cling to this particular season as Jerry's crowning achievement.

Anyway, I fully expect this year's Jazz team to be much better than those expecting us to fall off a cliff without Haywood, and I won't consider it amazing when we make the playoffs with a similar record to last year. With good health, I wouldn't even be surprised if we manage to top last season by a few games.

Last edited:
Ugg.

It really drives me up the wall that Jazz fans consider a season where we almost made the playoffs as Sloan's big achievement. And I'm not singling anyone out here, as this is a common opinion among fans.

IMO, this season was more about a bunch of crappy predictions by writers who only watched Utah a few games a year, than it was about Sloan working a miracle. I think most fans who were familiar with the team at the team had an idea that the team wouldn't be nearly as bad as the predictions. Total pet peeve of mine that Jazz fans cling to this particular season as Jerry's crowning achievement.

Anyway, I fully expect this year's Jazz team to be much better than those expecting us to fall off a cliff without Haywood, and I won't consider it amazing when we make the playoffs with a similar record to last year. With good health, I wouldn't even be surprised if we manage to top last season by a few games.

Sounds good.

Ugg.

IMO, this season was more about a bunch of crappy predictions by writers who only watched Utah a few games a year, than it was about Sloan working a miracle. I think most fans who were familiar with the team at the time had an idea that the Utah wouldn't be nearly as bad as the predictions. Total pet peeve of mine that Jazz fans cling to this particular season as Jerry's crowning achievement.

Not a crowning achievement, but well run sets on both sides of the ball with mostly average players. It was fun to watch.

I'm expecting them to overachieve too, but this is so much better than that Jazz team it's ridiculous -- Harp and AK are the only ones who'd get minutes on this team. Maybe Mo Williams but he sucked that season.

Ugg.

IMO, that season was more about a bunch of crappy predictions by writers who only watched Utah a few games a year, than it was about Sloan working a miracle. I think most fans who were familiar with the team at the time had an idea that the Utah wouldn't be nearly as bad as the predictions. Total pet peeve of mine that Jazz fans cling to this particular season as Jerry's crowning achievement.

I consider it as the season when a Sloan team exceeded expectations by the largest margin. Face it, most seasons under Stockton/Malone the Jazz UNDERACHIEVED. There were numerous early playoff exits. Sloan was outcoached several times. Replace Sloan with Pops and Utah has 6-8 championships. Nah, check that; Malone never raised his game enough in the post-season and Stockton didn't have the ability to take over games.

I don't think most expected Utah to win 9 games or less. But realistic predictions were probably in the mid to low 20's. So 40 wins WAS an amazing accomplishment from that team. 50 wins this season may be just as big - if that happens.

I consider it as the season when a Sloan team exceeded expectations by the largest margin.

This. Even I realistically expected about 20 wins. What other Jazz team could anyone argue won 20 more games than they expected? Maybe 83/84 but I was a newborn so I can't really speak about that season.

While that season was super exciting to watch we got quite lucky as well. Single longer lasting injury to AK and Jazz would be really close to those 9 wins predicted. It is crazy how important he was for that team and how much depended on him.
So this season could be very similar. While this Jazz team is much deeper if something serious would happen to Gobert this team is 25-27 win team at best. With Gobert I expect 45-47 wins at least.

TLDR but I agree in full... I'm nominating this to be The Fun as Hell Season... last year was a fun season but had the Hayward BS lingering over it... this season is just fun... team has fun dudes and they will surprise many.

Add then someone on jazzfanz posted a video making fun of that prediction after the jazz surpassed it. I wonder if Jason still has that saved somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Probably not, I think that was before the Great Crash. And I think the prediction was by Eric Pincus, was it not?

TLDR but I agree in full... I'm nominating this to be The Fun as Hell Season... last year was a fun season but had the Hayward BS lingering over it... this season is just fun... team has fun dudes and they will surprise many.

I almost threw up after reading the Oladipo/Mitchell comparsion. Please don't do that again. Thanks!

Ugg.

I don't even bother rehashing that anymore.